distance running vs sprints

Options
I've been a distance runner for decades now. I love losing myself in a long run with some great music. However, lately, working and keeping up with four small children means little time for long runs. Now I'm hearing that sprints are more effective for results. I've incorporated fartleks in the past, but honestly, sprinting is uncomfortable and running is so easy and relaxing, while still a challenge.

What do other runners think? Start doing sprints more often than long runs? How can you make it fun? I've tried sprinting on a treadmill, and it just feels dangerous. I would rather sprint on grass. It makes me feel like I'm back in college playing lacrosse. That was constant sprinting, resting, sprinting, resting, and so much fun!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What results? It would depend entirely on your fitness goals. If you're talking about losing weight, that's just a bi-product of consuming less energy (calories) than you expend...it really doesn't have much to do with what exercise you are doing. Regular exercise in general makes weight management easier in that you expend more energy than you otherwise would...and of course, you will look more fit...but a lot of people lose weight with no exercise at all (wouldn't recommend).
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 No, at this point, I have no weight to lose. 5'7 130 lbs. I want to use my time wisely and cultivate a body that lasts through the decades.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    @cwolfman13 No, at this point, I have no weight to lose. 5'7 130 lbs. I want to use my time wisely and cultivate a body that lasts through the decades.

Why not both?

I'm not a runner, I'm a cyclist and I train in a variety of ways. Right now I'm getting ready for this summer's time trial series so I'm doing a lot of short distance but high intensity threshold intervals, hill repeats, and flat out rides...as fall approaches I will switch gears and do more long distance endurance work to get ready for my tours in the fall. In the winter I usually do a combination of things.

I'd also recommend doing some resistance training...it will make you a better runner on all fronts and it will sculpt your body...it's also important for women in the fight against osteoporosis.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I've been a distance runner for decades now. I love losing myself in a long run with some great music. However, lately, working and keeping up with four small children means little time for long runs. Now I'm hearing that sprints are more effective for results. I've incorporated fartleks in the past, but honestly, sprinting is uncomfortable and running is so easy and relaxing, while still a challenge.

What do other runners think? Start doing sprints more often than long runs? How can you make it fun? I've tried sprinting on a treadmill, and it just feels dangerous. I would rather sprint on grass. It makes me feel like I'm back in college playing lacrosse. That was constant sprinting, resting, sprinting, resting, and so much fun!

Ambiguous goal is ambiguous. Sprinting is a good workout but it doesn't replace distance running if you're wanting to enjoy distance running. Find a program that incorporates some days of interval workouts. They're challenging and fun but you'll hate them by the time you get to the end of the workout. HATE. THEM!!! Just kill me now.

Perhaps you can work those in on some days and still keep your longer runs for other days. Compromise
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Why not both?

I'm not a runner, I'm a cyclist and I train in a variety of ways. Right now I'm getting ready for this summer's time trial series so I'm doing a lot of short distance but high intensity threshold intervals, hill repeats, and flat out rides...as fall approaches I will switch gears and do more long distance endurance work to get ready for my tours in the fall. In the winter I usually do a combination of things.

I'd also recommend doing some resistance training...it will make you a better runner on all fronts and it will sculpt your body...it's also important for women in the fight against osteoporosis.

Yeah, my little sister is into lifting. She's been helping me with my technique. She had me deadlifting 100 lbs. I really don't want to bulk up. I just want have a strong, capable body into my old age.

I just love the feeling of long runs, but if, well, I'm just wasting my time, then that makes me sad.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Why not both?

Yeah, my little sister is into lifting. She's been helping me with my technique. She had me deadlifting 100 lbs. I really don't want to bulk up. I just want have a strong, capable body into my old age.

I just love the feeling of long runs, but if, well, I'm just wasting my time, then that makes me sad.

Bulking up is a very deliberate act...it doesn't happen by accident. My wife lifts like a boss...she looks healthy and fit, not bulky. Bulking up requires spot on programming and diet to include a calorie surplus. It's also much more difficult typically for women because they don't have the testosterone production that men have...and it's hard for men.

I'm still not understanding this notion that running distance is a waste of time...whatever you're reading is bull crap.
  • Crisseyda
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why not both?

Bulking up is a very deliberate act...it doesn't happen by accident. My wife lifts like a boss...she looks healthy and fit, not bulky. Bulking up requires spot on programming and diet to include a calorie surplus. It's also much more difficult typically for women because they don't have the testosterone production that men have...and it's hard for men.

I'm still not understanding this notion that running distance is a waste of time...whatever you're reading is bull crap.

Obviously, sprint training takes less time to do than endurance training. But did you know it’s just as effective in many regards in a fraction of the time? Sprinting three times a week (4-6 times per session) was just as good as spending five days a week cycling for 40-60 minutes at improving whole body insulin sensitivity, arterial elasticity, and muscle microvascular density.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/15-reasons-to-sprint-more-this-year/#ixzz4DAjJTx6M
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Why not both?

Obviously, sprint training takes less time to do than endurance training. But did you know it’s just as effective in many regards in a fraction of the time? Sprinting three times a week (4-6 times per session) was just as good as spending five days a week cycling for 40-60 minutes at improving whole body insulin sensitivity, arterial elasticity, and muscle microvascular density.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/15-reasons-to-sprint-more-this-year/#ixzz4DAjJTx6M

Again, here's the unspecific comments about how it's just as good, sort of, in some ways, etc.

What are your goals? If you give up long runs and just do sprint workouts you can be in really good shape but you won't be good at long runs. If that's okay with you then by all means do this. There's no right or wrong answer here.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Why not both?

Again, here's the unspecific comments about how it's just as good, sort of, in some ways, etc.

What are your goals? If you give up long runs and just do sprint workouts you can be in really good shape but you won't be good at long runs. If that's okay with you then by all means do this. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Really? I just joined a local running group, and the other runner moms recommended that sprints will improve my distance times better than just doing distance. Maybe I need to set myself a "time" goal to shoot for. I've really fallen away from exercise since adding child #4 to the mix. Life is so busy.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I don't sprint, exactly, but it does feel good to run fast sometimes. My form feels better when I am running fast, I am gliding along and hitting just right, it feels safer in a way, but cannot for the life of me do it for long.

No I do not think that sprinting increases your endurance for long runs at all, no just no. Long runs increase your endurance for long runs. Sprinting in the context of an overall training plan might make you faster because it teaches your legs to go fast, it might improve your time, sure, if you can run a faster fast run at the end of your long run.

Can you run early in the morning? We have a large family and that's what I do. Just get up earlier, go for a run. If you like a long run, make space for it in your life. I get up at 5:30 now in the summer but sometimes at 5 in the school year when the schedule presses in.
  • _Waffle_
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why not both?

Really? I just joined a local running group, and the other runner moms recommended that sprints will improve my distance times better than just doing distance. Maybe I need to set myself a "time" goal to shoot for. I've really fallen away from exercise since adding child #4 to the mix. Life is so busy.

I wonder what distance these other runner moms are talking about. 5k, 10k, half, full marathon?

Yes, sprints are the icing on the cake and can improve your distance times. You can't just sprint and expect to do well on distance running however. Go look at pretty much any distance running plan and you'll find that it has 1 or 2 days with some interval work and the majority of the work being easy medium - long distance runs that could have some strides at the end.

Add sprints to your training plan but don't throw out your distance runs and only do sprints.

ETA: Example plan that incorporates sprints with longer easy runs.
    https://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-marathon/10
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't think sprinting will do anything to help your endurance, but there might be some benefit the other way around.
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why not both?

I wonder what distance these other runner moms are talking about. 5k, 10k, half, full marathon?

Yes, sprints are the icing on the cake and can improve your distance times. You can't just sprint and expect to do well on distance running however. Go look at pretty much any distance running plan and you'll find that it has 1 or 2 days with some interval work and the majority of the work being easy medium - long distance runs that could have some strides at the end.

Add sprints to your training plan but don't throw out your distance runs and only do sprints.

ETA: Example plan that incorporates sprints with longer easy runs.
    https://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-marathon/10

Exactly this...

Doing sprint work will generally make you a better overall runner...I think it should be part of any runners programming just as I think doing threshold type of work on the bike is important to a cyclists programming.

And I think you're reading too much into the link above...I didn't interpret that to mean distance running was a waste of time...it would only be a waste of time if you didn't want to be a distance runner...all it's saying is that you can get a similar health benefit in less time...so that's great if you don't have the time from a health standpoint...but from a fitness standpoint, if you want to run distance you have to do more than sprint...a full time sprinter would be hard press to do a 1/2 marathon or marathon because they wouldn't have the endurance part of the equation.

From a cyclists POV, doing threshold work makes me a better and faster cyclist overall...but if I want to ride 100 miles, I need to put in the training miles too...if all I did was threshold work I could go really fast, but I wouldn't have the endurance to go for hours.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do tempo runs to work on my time, but not sprints in the traditional sense. Lifting will also help your runs, so keep at that! As far as sprinting. Some weekend days I just don't want to go the gym and drag my kids with me (I have 3), so I try and make it fun for all of us. I'll set us up on a little circuit including sprints with them around the back yard to yield more of a HIIT workout. Or if I have a shorter run (3-5 miles), my older two will ride their bikes while I push the youngest in the jogging stroller. My point is, there are plenty of ways to incorporate your kids while still being active and running and hopefully fun for you!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Although HIIT helped me improve my running pace, the most helpful thing has been adding strength training. I now have more powerful muscles, which appears to have magically made me a faster runner. :D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I used to play soccer. I think it helped my distance running a lot. Sprinting takes more strength and it taxes your lungs in ways that long slow distances never will, in ways that improve your lung capacity.
    Try working in intervals. One mile warm up, four 800 meter sprints with a short rest in between, one mile cool down. It takes less time than a six-mile run -- which I believe is your major issue -- and it gives you a great workout.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I thought sprints are better for muscle definition?

HIIT or sprinters will work anearobic threshold vice aerobic but because of the impact it can help maintain during weight loss.

Crisseyda, i would agree with wolf and waffle. Your program should align to your goals. If its to be strong and fit, then you want to address all apsects. Meaning you want to hit both your cardiovascular and skeletal systems. Getting a good mix of weight training (full body) and running will address those goals. If you want to be good at long distance then you should still do long runs but add weights or even sprints to increase muscle power.

If its just a time management thing because you have 4 kids, the HIIT or sprint style can be effective and will burn more calories in a shorter period of time. But if you dont practice long distance, you will lose it. If anything, sprints and weight training are complimentary to running.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As an aside, i weight train and do hiit for time and personal prefence but if i ran , i would die after the first mile because i never train for that type of exercise.