Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't doubt that the test you implemented to arrive at your body-fat% puts you at 7% but it's highly unlikely that this is accurate.

Regardless, you look great and congrats!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Well done on competing but there is no chance that you are sub 10% or even sub 15%.

Sub 15 is quite possible. Sub 10, no way in hell.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Well done on competing but there is no chance that you are sub 10% or even sub 15%.

Sub 15 is quite possible. Sub 10, no way in hell.

I was stating that I didn't think she was sub 15%, not that sub 15% wasn't achievable by any females.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Congrats @BonyCastro you look great! Happy bulking :)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Congrats @BonyCastro you look great! Happy bulking :)

This! Congratulations!!!

• blondierunner2015
    blondierunner2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing!
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You look great! But like the others I agree that you cannot be 7% do you believe you went below essential fat and were able to still train, step on stage, etc? You would look gaunt, have serious mental issues, be prone to chronic illness, have no period etc etc. you look healthy in the pics so I doubt that would be the case! Why would you want to be 7 anyway, that is so dangerous and would have serious long term effects. Do a dexa scan rather than calipers
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your place. Have fun bulking for a few months now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »

Picture of my last measures 10 days before comp. obviously I was a lot leaner when i stepped on stage. Notice the 7.7% tlehld2jzvfx.jpeg
    Unfortunately that's NOT an accurate way to measure body fat %. Being in competition and having trained competitive Bikini/Figure clients, sub 10% is very very unlikely. Even 15% may be too much to compete in those divisions depending on the judges.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Picture of my last measures 10 days before comp. obviously I was a lot leaner when i stepped on stage. Notice the 7.7% tlehld2jzvfx.jpeg
    Unfortunately that's NOT an accurate way to measure body fat %. Being in competition and having trained competitive Bikini/Figure clients, sub 10% is very very unlikely. Even 15% may be too much to compete in those divisions depending on the judges.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    So you said you have trained competitors. How did you measure their BF then ?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    So you said you have trained competitors. How did you measure their BF then ?
    Lange calipers on a 7 point measuring system 2 times a week. This was before BodPod and Dexa were available to me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I think you looked Fantastic regardless awesome job..
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Anyone has any experience or has been successful at cutting and gaining at the same time ?

I just gained 3# of LBM and lost 8.5# of BF (net loss of 5.5#) in 2 months from 172.2 to 166.7 (as measured by DXA), which reduced my BF% from 20.3 to 16.9 on a high protein/carb (40/40%) and low fat (20%) deficit diet (averaging 1700-1800 cals/day) while doing heavy linear progressive lifting and cardio (rowing) 3-5 days/wk.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    on a high protein/carb (40/40%) and low fat (20%) deficit diet (averaging 1700-1800 cals/day) while doing heavy linear progressive lifting and cardio (rowing) 3-5 days/wk.

Bingo. Good results too. Keep going.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anyone has any experience or has been successful at cutting and gaining at the same time ?

I just gained 3# of LBM and lost 8.5# of BF (net loss of 5.5#) in 2 months from 172.2 to 166.7 (as measured by DXA), which reduced my BF% from 20.3 to 16.9 on a high protein/carb (40/40%) and low fat (20%) deficit diet (averaging 1700-1800 cals/day) while doing heavy linear progressive lifting and cardio (rowing) 3-5 days/wk.

By any chance, did it breakout the composition of the LBM?
  • trigden1991
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Does the DEXA differentiate between water and muscle or is it grouped as Lean Mass?
  • sgt1372
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does the DEXA differentiate between water and muscle or is it grouped as Lean Mass?

My DXA report breaks down Total Mass (Weight) in 3 ways: 1) Fat 2) Lean Tissue and 3) Bone Mineral Content.

DXA report also breaks down these 3 factors by body part: 1) Arms (Left & Right), 2) Legs (Left & Right), 3) Trunk, 4) Android (Lower Abs) and 5) Gynoid (Hips, Butt & Upper Thighs).

This allows you to see the distribution of fat/LBM throughout the body and to determine if there are any fat/LBM tissue imbalances. The report also measures the weight/volume of Visceral (organ) and Subcutaneous Adipose (fat) Tissue in the midsection and Bone Density (by body part and overall); the lower the amount the better. If you take more than 1 test, the report will also list the increase or decrease of fat & LBM between tests by body part.

My Hydrostatic Test Reports simply breaks down Weight into: 1) Fat and 2) Lean Body Mass; Lean Tissue and Bone Mineral Content are lumped together. The Hydrostatic Test does not provide any body part differentiation or bone density information. So, between the 2, the DXA report is much more informative.
  • trigden1991
    Options

My DXA report breaks down Total Mass (Weight) in 3 ways: 1) Fat 2) Lean Tissue and 3) Bone Mineral Content.

DXA report also breaks down these 3 factors by body part: 1) Arms (Left & Right), 2) Legs (Left & Right), 3) Trunk, 4) Android (Lower Abs) and 5) Gynoid (Hips, Butt & Upper Thighs).

This allows you to see the distribution of fat/LBM throughout the body and to determine if there are any fat/LBM tissue imbalances. The report also measures the weight/volume of Visceral (organ) and Subcutaneous Adipose (fat) Tissue in the midsection and Bone Density (by body part and overall); the lower the amount the better. If you take more than 1 test, the report will also list the increase or decrease of fat & LBM between tests by body part.

My Hydrostatic Test Reports simply breaks down Weight into: 1) Fat and 2) Lean Body Mass; Lean Tissue and Bone Mineral Content are lumped together. The Hydrostatic Test does not provide any body part differentiation or bone density information. So, between the 2, the DXA report is much more informative.

Thanks for the information but you did not answer my actual question. Does the "lean tissue" section give any indication of water content as it is considered Lean body mass by all measurements (that I am aware of).
  • sgt1372
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the information but you did not answer my actual question. Does the "lean tissue" section give any indication of water content as it is considered Lean body mass by all measurements (that I am aware of).

The answer is "no."

Not to be argumentative but this answer was already implied by my earlier response. I said that the DXA report only broke the results down by fat, LBM and bone. So, anything that is not fat or bone (including water) is measured as LBM.

Frankly, I don't know how you could possibly differentiate water from skin, organs or other tissues with a scanning device but they say that the human body is composed of about 60% water to begin with (taking note that the amount of water in the body can vary widely based on age, sex and other factors).

So, I suppose that you could compute an estimate of the amount of water in your body by multiplying your gross weight by 60% and then subtracting the weight of fat and bone and then dividing the result by 8.35 (the weight of a gallon of water) to estimate how much water in gallons there is in your body -- but this still would only be a guess and the calculation itself admittedly may be faulty.

Nonetheless, when I did this based on my DXA results, I came up w/66.42 lbs or about 7.95 gals of water or about 50% of my LBM.

PS: There is also no differentiation between LBM and "muscle" either. From what I've read, it would require very specialized equipment and maybe even a biopsy to make such measurements.