mild or bland nut butters?

Options
VividDawn
VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
Are there any nut butters that have minimal taste? Every time I make a shake with peanut butter, that's all I can taste! Not the banana, chocolate, strawberries, or anything else I add in. Getting annoying to up having no variety of flavor no matter what other stuff I put into the blender.
I'm only using it for calories anyway. I'd rather be tasting the fruit or chocolate (or caramel, maple, etc)

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Can u make a shake w out the peanut butter and then eat the peanut butter w apple slices or just w a spoon?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Can u make a shake w out the peanut butter and then eat the peanut butter w apple slices or just w a spoon?

This. If you're only using it for calories, why not just skip the peanut butter and add more chocolate/caramel and fruit, or maybe cut the amount of peanut butter in half?
    I suppose another alternative would be to get a peanut butter with chocolate flavoring in it, or maybe use Nutella. I also like Skippy Salted Caramel flavored peanut butter.
  • VividDawn
    Options
    I COULD eat it separate. Kinda just want to have a quick all-in-one thing, though. Usually when I'm at the end of the day and need to catch up before bed.
    It's 8pm, and I'm still supposed to have another 850 calories to meet my MINIMUM goal.
    This happens all the time :/
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use unsalted peanuts and use a grinder either at the store or by using my Ninja at home. By using unsalted peanuts I have a pretty bland base to this I can add spices like chili peppers for a satay sauce. Or when I add it to a shake I find it pairs well with fruit like berries because the berries come thru but have that creamy mouth feel like on a PB&J sandwich. I apologize for rambling. Basically try unsalted peanuts or PB.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I find cashew butter pretty mild tasting, but it's not cheap.

Ground raw flaxseeds don't have much flavour, and they add omega 3 fatty acids and plenty of fibre as well as about 60 calories per tbsp, IIRC.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I also like Skippy Salted Caramel flavored peanut butter.

Omg this exists?! *_*
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sunflower butter has a more mild taste but it gets expensive :(
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you're just trying to add calories to your shake, you could consider using high fat dairy instead, or really any fat source would add lots of calories. There's also "gainer" protein powders.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/creative-ways-to-use-hemp-seeds-to-replace-dairy-and-more/
    Hemp Seed Butter
    It doesn’t taste like peanut butter, but has that same rich flavor and absolutely no allergens. Its flavor is more buttery, and almost sweet with an earthy background to it. Hemp butter is higher in fiber, magnesium, protein and iron than peanut butter, and is a breeze to make.

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I find almond and cashew butter almost tasteless really - for me not worth the calories at all so might work for your purpose.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How much do you use? I use 100 grams whole milk, 100 grams banana, 10 grams cocoa and 25 grams peanut butter for my chocolate fix smoothie, and I can't really taste the peanut flavor.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I use cashew or almond butter.
  • VividDawn
    Options
    How much do you use? I use 100 grams whole milk, 100 grams banana, 10 grams cocoa and 25 grams peanut butter for my chocolate fix smoothie, and I can't really taste the peanut flavor.

I only use one serving, which on most jars is 2 tablespoons (not sure how many grams that is). For the PB I'm currently using, that's 180 calories. I should probably switch to Nutella, since 2 tbs is 200 calories
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol I have literally never heard of the predicament. I love peanut butter so badly but can't really use it because of the calories and am always trying to get the taste!

You could try a chocolate PB. PB&CO makes peanut butters in ALLLL kinds of flavors, even vanilla, cinnamon, etc.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You could try working in some coconut oil to replace the PB.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just have nuts on the side then. I don't see the point of adding calories in something just for the hell of it?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Add coconut milk (the real thing, not those diet drinks). Gives the shake richness and a nice mild flavor. For even more calories and richness you could use coconut cream. If you still want peanut butter but without it overwhelming your shake, just use a smaller amount and make up for the lost calories with heavy cream.

Edit: Sweetened condensed milk is nice too. I boil a few cans for 4 or so hours (label off, can unopened, in an old pot) then let them cool and store them in the fridge for whenever I need to open one. The milk acquires this nice caramel flavor and an amazing texture perfect for dipping pretzel sticks. I only use it when I have company because it's pretty high calorie and I know I would polish the whole can, so it might work for your purposes.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider adding avocado or coconut oil instead?
  • VividDawn
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just have nuts on the side then. I don't see the point of adding calories in something just for the hell of it?

I'm trying to gain weight... I need all the calories I can get ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Add coconut milk (the real thing, not those diet drinks). Gives the shake richness and a nice mild flavor. For even more calories and richness you could use coconut cream. If you still want peanut butter but without it overwhelming your shake, just use a smaller amount and make up for the lost calories with heavy cream.

Edit: Sweetened condensed milk is nice too. I boil a few cans for 4 or so hours (label off, can unopened, in an old pot) then let them cool and store them in the fridge for whenever I need to open one. The milk acquires this nice caramel flavor and an amazing texture perfect for dipping pretzel sticks. I only use it when I have company because it's pretty high calorie and I know I would polish the whole can, so it might work for your purposes.

Dulce de leche! My most favorite thing ever. I can demolish two cans all by my lonesome...