mild or bland nut butters?

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Add coconut milk (the real thing, not those diet drinks). Gives the shake richness and a nice mild flavor. For even more calories and richness you could use coconut cream. If you still want peanut butter but without it overwhelming your shake, just use a smaller amount and make up for the lost calories with heavy cream.

Edit: Sweetened condensed milk is nice too. I boil a few cans for 4 or so hours (label off, can unopened, in an old pot) then let them cool and store them in the fridge for whenever I need to open one. The milk acquires this nice caramel flavor and an amazing texture perfect for dipping pretzel sticks. I only use it when I have company because it's pretty high calorie and I know I would polish the whole can, so it might work for your purposes.

Dulce de leche! My most favorite thing ever. I can demolish two cans all by my lonesome...

Yeah.. and each can has nearly 1300 calories.. it makes me sad sometimes that I can't just dig in with a spoon like I used to.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you just want calories can you add cream? Macadamia butter has little taste but expensive.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Consider using beans instead. They have little taste.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Just need calories? Coconut oil and butter are delicious! You could also use heavy cream or condensed milk. Any fat source really...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk or cream or ice cream.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Add coconut milk (the real thing, not those diet drinks). Gives the shake richness and a nice mild flavor. For even more calories and richness you could use coconut cream. If you still want peanut butter but without it overwhelming your shake, just use a smaller amount and make up for the lost calories with heavy cream.

Edit: Sweetened condensed milk is nice too. I boil a few cans for 4 or so hours (label off, can unopened, in an old pot) then let them cool and store them in the fridge for whenever I need to open one. The milk acquires this nice caramel flavor and an amazing texture perfect for dipping pretzel sticks. I only use it when I have company because it's pretty high calorie and I know I would polish the whole can, so it might work for your purposes.

Dulce de leche! My most favorite thing ever. I can demolish two cans all by my lonesome...

Yeah.. and each can has nearly 1300 calories.. it makes me sad sometimes that I can't just dig in with a spoon like I used to.

Me too. I usually put the stuff into a microwave safe glass jar and heat it until it's like a hot pudding, creamy and melty and perfect. I can't even trust myself to buy condensed milk anymore. :-|
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For the record, regular ice cream only has 120 calories per serving (usually half cup). I noticed to get the higher amount, I gotta spend more $ and get fancy like gelato or H aagen Dasz thst has 250+ per serving ... and those I'd rather just eat by themselves, as they taste to good to mix up with other junk LOL
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Vivy913 wrote: »
    For the record, regular ice cream only has 120 calories per serving (usually half cup). I noticed to get the higher amount, I gotta spend more $ and get fancy like gelato or H aagen Dasz thst has 250+ per serving ... and those I'd rather just eat by themselves, as they taste to good to mix up with other junk LOL

If you need the calories, then do that?
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options

If you need the calories, then do that?

Yup, in the summer. In winter I drink hot chocolate that's 150 calories, with whole milk, so it's 300 calories per cup :)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Tip for a higher calorie normal ice cream: top with finely chopped pecans. Half an oz would put an extra 100 calories in it for you.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I find all nut butters to be relatively bland except peanut butter which is why I prefer it over any other kind of nut butter. Why not just try some and see if you like any? Maybe go to a farmer's market near you. Places like that often offer samples of their wares so you may be able to try a little bit of some before having to purchase a jar of something that you may not end up liking.