Frustrated

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Have you lost any weight at all? When you say you're not losing do you mean the scale hasn't budged since day one or?

I have lost 2lb in 6 weeks so not a lot considering I cut my calories in half

You shouldn't be comparing current calories to previous calories...if you were in a 2000 calorie surplus and you cut 2000 calories, you'll still be at maintenance. You have to compare current calories to maintenance levels.

I suspect you may be mismeasuring. I am not a huge fan of weighing food, but I think sometimes it's necessary to learn what portions looked like. It's pretty shocking!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 80 pounds without heavy exercise, just walking. I lost more than half of this in a year, went on maintenance for about a year, then started up again last November. So it's taken about three years to get within 10-15 pounds of my goal. I'd suggest patience. It's not a contest.

Are you really going to keep up that level of exercise for the rest of your life?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    To OP: how do your clothes fit? Are you keeping track of measurements? When I lost the first few pounds, it didn't really sink in until I tried on clothes that were previously tight but were now a little loose fitting. The scale may not move but if you're losing inches, that is a very good sign too.

Also, if you went from doing very little exercise to swimming for an hour 3-4 days a week and biking to the gym, your body may be holding on to water as your muscles recover from the workouts.

My measurements are still exactly the same I'm just getting fed up of seeing nothing an working really hard

(1) Are you "eating back" exercise calories?
    (2) Are you using a digital scale to weigh your intake?
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi op, 2lbs is a weightloss! I think you're expecting a weightloss goal that is too aggressive. Half a pound per week is a very good, sustainable way to reach your goal.
    Also, exercising will make you retain water to help repair the muscles. You may have lost a few more lbs but it could be masked by that, time of the month, too much sodium in your diet, etc. There are a lot of things that can hide a change on the scale. And 6 weeks is not long at all in the terms of sustainable weightloss.
    Reset your mfp to .5lbs per week and just keep up your good work!
  • leannecnry332
    leannecnry332 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes I use digital scales an I wasn't eating back my exercise calories at first but then I starred to an still made no difference
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes I use digital scales an I wasn't eating back my exercise calories at first but then I starred to an still made no difference

Digital scale in grams or ounces? How many exercise calories did you start eating back?
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    I normally weigh in grams but can change to ounces on the screen, Id only eat 50% back as the calories on here don't seem very accurate for what I've burnt
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I normally weigh in grams but can change to ounces on the screen, Id only eat 50% back as the calories on here don't seem very accurate for what I've burnt

It sounds like you're doing everything right, and the new exercises are making you retain water. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING. But, maybe double check that the entries you're using are accurate (compare to the USDA website or http://nutritiondata.self.com/) and for instance you're using a "raw" entry for the weight of your foods when raw and not accidentally using a cooked entry.
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    Yes I always do everything raw, so why shouldn't I change anything? 2lb in 6 weeks is nothing. I'm classed as obese for my bmi an height an weight so its not like I don't have the fat there to lose so why am I not losing? I've read quite a few things an some say to work out my BMR which is 1569 then your tdee which is 2300 an then if u want to lose 2lb a week take 20% off the tdee an it will put me in a defecit which comes out to 1700 calories so now I'm confused do I go off 1200 calories, 1500 calories or 1700 calories
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm getting around 1400 cals for someone with your BMR to lose 2lb/week. You might want to get someone you trust who's more experienced at this to go over your program with you because the numbers don't add up. At this point I don't think anyone here has enough information to be able to provide you with advice on changes.
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    I weigh 83kg and I'm 5"3 every calculated is different but it averages to around 1500
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Maybe your not weighing your food correctly and eating more than you think?
  • Maxematics
    Options
    OP do you have any cheat days? Opening your diary would help us immensely as we could provide better feedback.
    If you are willing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings, Scroll down to "Diary Sharing" and set to "Public".
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    Lynnmi07 wrote: »
    Maybe your not weighing your food correctly and eating more than you think?

I weigh everything I eat or drink!!
  • Maxematics
    Options
    OP you didn't address my question about cheat days.
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    OP you didn't address my question about cheat days.

No I don't have any cheat days but this last week I have as I'm very deflated an giving up hope I will actually lose weight on 1200 calories an I'm always hungry to the point I feel sick I even tried 1500,and still not lost
  • Maxematics
    Options
    Are you willing to open your diary?
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    Ye
  • leannecnry332
    Options
    I've made it public now, the last week as I've said not really stuck to it
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Are you choosing accurate entries in the database for logging your food? I've found verified ones (green check mark) that are wrong. Always compare the entry to the package the first time you log, then be careful to choose the one you know is right.

What about packaged foods? Are you weighing those as well? Just because they're prepackaged doesn't mean it's how many seconds the label says. And choosing accurate entries for logging?

The other thing might be your goal is a little too aggressive. The weight didnt come on overnight and it won't go away quickly, either. But it WILL go away if you keep at it. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. If you're dizzy and hungry at 1200. Edge the calories up a little and have a lower rate of loss. You want to fuel your body and make sure to preserve as much lean mass as possible.

Just keep going. Everyone plateaus and gets stuck. The weight won't come off if you give up. :heart: