told i am eating to little because of the amount of calories burned?

Options
Hello
i have a question, i am 5-9" and 290 lbs, i am doing P90 workout from beach body 6 days a week, and i am also walking 15 - 20 k steps at work do security foot patrols, MFP has me eating 2000 calories per day, and i am burning between 1500 - 2800 calories from activity alone, o my total calories burned for the day usually are between 4500 - 5300 calories, my beach body coach says body will go into starvation mode and hold on to bodyfat ??? and i won't lose weigth, i ahve not losed any weight in the last 2 weeks, i was ij the understanding that if you calories consumed is less than your calories burned you lose weight period?, can someone explain to me if what my coach is saying is true or not, because my total calorie burned for the week is more than double my caloric weekly intake.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You should be losing on a 2000 calorie intake but 2 weeks is not enough time to know if you are doing everything right. Keep going!
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i have not losed any weight in 2 weeks, but i lost 1/4 inch in my thighs and my neck, and my energy level is pretty good, i am eating 1600 -1800 calories per day out of 2000 calories allowed and i feel fine, no cravings, im am getting over 100 grams of protein a day also
  • catstratch
    catstratch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When you eat too little, your body thinks it is going through a famine so it will reserve body fat (to survive). You will still lose weight (calories in calories out duh), but a lot will come from your muscle. And muscle mass raises your metabolism.
    You should eat more with your amount of exercise. Not only because of ^above^, but it will be so much harder to keep up with that (and leads to reactive overeating or exhaustion). The key is to eat enough to feel well but still lower than your energy expenditure in order to lose. And the real key is patience :)
    Hope that helps.
  • senennieves
    Options
    i weigh and measure all my food.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    O.K. then. Be patient with the scale. During the time that the scale is not "cooperating," pay attention to your measurements (as you have) and your photos to look at other progress. :)
    Did you greatly increase activity in the last week or two? Sometimes, when there is a big change like that the body initially holds on to water weight for a few days or longer.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    i have not losed any weight in 2 weeks, but i lost 1/4 inch in my thighs and my neck, and my energy level is pretty good, i am eating 1600 -1800 calories per day out of 2000 calories allowed and i feel fine, no cravings, im am getting over 100 grams of protein a day also

Sounds like you gained some lean mass. It can happen no matter what the people on this forum think. Everyone is different. Although, it won't always be that way, you'll eventually lose weight.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »

Sounds like you gained some lean mass. It can happen no matter what the people on this forum think. Everyone is different. Although, it won't always be that way, you'll eventually lose weight.

She lost body fat, it's not a gain of muscle in two weeks at the type of deficit she's reported.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

1600 -1800 calories per day total or net?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How in the world are you burning 5k calories/day?
  • senennieves
    Options
    I have a fitbit and it monitors my daily activities. I with 290. and I work security, I con duct foot patrols half my 7 hour shift, so i log 20, 000 steps I night, plus what I burn, usually total us 4500 to 5300 depending on the patrold
  • senennieves
    Options
    I have not done any patrols yet it's 3:30 pm and according to fitbit I burned 2834 calories so far
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are notorious for overestimating the burns. You will not go into starvation mode eating 2k/day. Are you measuring ALL of your food to get to that number?