What do you guys do for fun?

Options
I just made a decision to stop smoking for good and I feel like I'm going to be miserable pretty soon. With dieting, working out and now this...it's just going to hurt for the first couple of weeks. Any advice would be appreciated, please.

Replies

• killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Reading. Boring to some, a complete happy escape for me. For whatever time I'm reading life disappears and the world I'm reading is alive and real for me.

That's a really good idea, thanks. It's been a while since I've read anything for fun. What are you currently reading?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What is this thing you call "fun"?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Read, listen to music, take a walk(with or without dogs), chew gum, color or do artwork, go to the gym or pool...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Did you have any hobbies as a kid? Legos or model airplanes or woodworking or painting or pottery? Anything that keeps your mind and your hands occupied would help, especially if you wouldn't want cigarettes nearby to soil or spoil your project. You can do this! Reading is a great suggestion, too! I love reading!
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Reading. Boring to some, a complete happy escape for me. For whatever time I'm reading life disappears and the world I'm reading is alive and real for me.

That's a really good idea, thanks. It's been a while since I've read anything for fun. What are you currently reading?

thank you for asking! it's a series of books i happened to find from a compilation book of stories about gods and monsters. This story caught my eye so much i stopped reading the compilation book and started up on the whole series!

i'm currently on the 4th in the series but here's a link to the 1st one (which is a free e-book by the way):
    https://www.amazon.com/Bring-Fire-Part-Wolves-Loki-ebook/dp/B008UUIGB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467504009&sr=1-1&keywords=i+bring+the+fire+part+1#nav-subnav

and here's the description from amazon:
    "~ Part of the USA Today Bestselling Series ~

In the middle of America, Amy Lewis is on her way to her grandma’s house. She's being chased by a very bad wolf. Galaxies away Loki is waking up in a prison cell, strangely without a hangover, and with no idea what he’s done wrong — this time anyway. But he does know Thor is hiding something, Odin is up to something wicked, and there seems to be something he’s forgotten...

In this urban fantasy tale that is equal parts “Dresden Files” and “American Gods,” a very nice midwestern girl and a jaded, mischievous Loki must join forces to outwit gods, elves, magic sniffing cats, and nosy neighbors. If Loki can remember exactly what he’s forgotten and Amy can convince him not to be too distracted by Earthly gadgets, Earthly pleasures, or three day benders, they just might pull it off...

This first installment of "I Bring the Fire" is for anyone who suspects chaos and mischief makers might have their own redeeming qualities, and anyone who just wants a good fantasy romp through modern Earth, ancient Asgard, and beyond! "

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    People can give you all the suggestions they want but unless it's something you enjoy it's not going to help you. Find something that you enjoy doing and do it.
    For me it's reading it's golf it's going outside it's being with friends it's going out going to the movies or sometimes just sitting on the couch and vegetating watching mindless TV
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What is fun? LOL... I literally work.. and work out.. teach my son preschool and work out again.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    um.... what do I do for fun.... watch netflix... go for hikes.... and walks..... read... *kitten* around on the internet.... hang out with friends. that's about it
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm an old woman. What does "kitten around" mean?
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    lol that's the site's bad language filter.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hee-hee-hee!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Cycling ... riding my bicycle any chance I get. :)
    Walking
    Hiking
    Going to the gym
    And occasionally things like swimming, canoeing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing

Photography
    Building my website
    Reading
    Taking further education
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I just made a decision to stop smoking for good and I feel like I'm going to be miserable pretty soon. With dieting, working out and now this...it's just going to hurt for the first couple of weeks. Any advice would be appreciated, please.

Tell me about it. Up until month ago, I was baking for fun. Almost every day.

Now I read. I haven't read an actual book in years. I also read magazines, news, I even started going to the library. I also play candy crush a lot. Sad, I know.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Today I went to the lake and swam and got a tan :) it was really fun
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Some things that I do for fun... play computer/console games, and watch animated/cartoon movies.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Cycling ... riding my bicycle any chance I get. :)
    Walking
    Hiking
    Going to the gym
    And occasionally things like swimming, canoeing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing

Photography
    Building my website
    Reading
    Taking further education

And travelling ... my husband and I do quite a bit of travelling. :)

We also go out about once a week to ... the symphony, plays, the speedway, festivals, or whatever catches our fancy that week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Read, mostly. I don't read anything with literary merit. It's mostly what I call the junk food of reading material--free through Amazon Unlimited, I can read it quickly, and I forget the details shortly after finishing the book. I read 8-10 books a week that way. I rarely remember author names and will often finish a book, thinking "well that was dumb" either due to horrible grammar/spelling or silly plots. But I like the escapism aspect so that's why I keep on reading.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Reading is no good for helping stop smoking ! You need to do someting with your hands, make something or knit. Get out on bike is good , helped me when i stopped x good luck