I'm going to the beach tomorrow and I'm scared!

Options
I'm on a 9 day streak of being on or under my goal calories. Tomorrow I'll be going to the beach with friends and I'm afraid I'll mess it all up and eat or drink too much. Ahh :(

Replies

• CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 @cmriverside thanks for the input! Not stressing about it is something I have to teach myself as an impatient person.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm going in the opposite direction. Keep your goals in mind and prioritize your health and fitness over a couple drinks. Plan ahead and know exactly what and how much you're going to consume. The key to making a successful lifestyle change is to train yourself to make sacrifices on a daily basis. There's always going to be something going on that can derail your progress. A day at the beach, a birthday, a holiday, someone brings donuts to the office, the grocery store's giving away free samples...
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I'm going in the opposite direction. Keep your goals in mind and prioritize your health and fitness over a couple drinks. Plan ahead and know exactly what and how much you're going to consume. The key to making a successful lifestyle change is to train yourself to make sacrifices on a daily basis. There's always going to be something going on that can derail your progress. A day at the beach, a birthday, a holiday, someone brings donuts to the office, the grocery store's giving away free samples...
    I agree. What do you mean you're scared? It's something you can avoid. Pack a lunch, or google some places around there that you can eat at and plan what you're going to order. If that doesn't work out, you can always make better choices no matter where you're eating. You don't exactly have to be strict with your diet tomorrow, but I don't think you should see it as an excuse to go overboard.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walk, swim, volleyball be active
    Eat wisely and have an ice cream
    You'll be fine ..,it's about living while you drop weight

• CatherineLaurel
    Options
    @st476 I just mean what if my.friends want to eat at the seafood joint there? I have to sit and watch? There's no way I'll be able to do that and I know they don't have calorie info there. Or what I just say f it and drink a lot! That's what I mean by scared.
  • CatherineLaurel
    Options
    @lorrpb yes!
  • CatherineLaurel
    Options
    @Sued0nim Frisbee and strolls along the beach definitely won't hurt :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's one day out of thousands! Have fun!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so I definitely get being the odd person out at social functions. It's definitely possible to sit and watch people eat at a restaurant- I do it all the time. I promise it won't kill you lol. Order something that fits into your needs. Order something without sides, order a few sides (what I end up doing a lot). But, if it's more important to socially eat- just be okay with it. There's nothing wrong with that either. Also know it's totally possible to eat healthy and have fun. When I go out with friends it's to spend time with them, if we're at the beach I'm doing fun beach stuff- food isn't the fun part of that for me, I can do food whenever I don't go to the beach everyday.

Ultimately, it's really about deciding what's important to you or deciding you don't mind overeating for one day. I also usually bring vegetables to grill and make veggie kebabs. They're healthy and not loaded with calories. Personally I hate how I look after eating a ton in a swimsuit so I usually just choose to drink calories at the beach instead anyways lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I know a lot of lean, healthy, and fit people...among them are a few professional athletes...they all know how to balance out that with also taking time out to live life and enjoy themselves...they don't go around torturing themselves with "sacrifice" every day. Special occasions are just that...they are irrelevant to the greater whole. This is about what you're doing most of the time, not about those handful of special occasions during the year.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    cla11b wrote: »
    @st476 I just mean what if my.friends want to eat at the seafood joint there? I have to sit and watch? There's no way I'll be able to do that and I know they don't have calorie info there. Or what I just say f it and drink a lot! That's what I mean by scared.

Eat at the seafood joint. If possible, look at the menu online & decide what you'll order (something reasonable, but you can decide whether it's worth going a little over your regular goal or not). If you know what's on offer, you can look up similar things on the MFP database ahead of time (pay more attention to the higher-calorie similar entries, because some are lowballed), and have an idea of the calorie level.

I'm a vegetarian, so I can't tell you which seafoods are lowest calorie, but it's a good bet that it'd be good to avoid deep-fried options! ;) When I go to seafood restaurants, I usually eat a salad, or a combination of side-item veggies, but I know there are relatively lower-cal seafood options.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options

This^^^^^
    It doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself, but have a plan.
    Have a burger. Skip the fries.
    If you're going to drink alcohol, decide ahead of time how many you're gonna have. Whatever you decide to eat and drink, keep it to yourself and don't talk about it to your friends. If you advertize, believe me you'll get resistance from your them. Otherwise, nobody Iis likely to notice what you do or don't eat or drink.
    Mainly concentrate on portion control and don't obsess!!
  • CatherineLaurel
    Options
    @gena575 I'll have a look at the nutritional information of other restaurants and as
    @frankiesgirl21 skipping the fries is a golden idea
  • CatherineLaurel
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's input on this