Online personal trainers?

Options
Any recommendations? No beachbody coach crap!

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing? Doesn't seem like it would be very helpful.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing? Doesn't seem like it would be very helpful.

There are and i think it can be very helpful for clients which can't afford the expensive price of working one on one with a trainer. It's especially helpful for clients who just need a routine, someone to check in and motivate them, and give them a structured plan.

It's definitely not for everyone, especially a complete beginner who doesn't know proper form.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It's especially helpful for clients who just need a routine, someone to check in and motivate them, and give them a structured plan.

This describes my needs perfectly.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How do you learn form if you're not in the same room when working out?
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

IMO an online trainer could still be very helpful for dialing in your routine and macros.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options

From the people I'm familiar with that provide online training, the client records a video of him/her performing the lift, sends this video to the trainer who then provides feedback.

Note - I'm not saying this is good nor bad, just replying to "how".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

If you already know how to lift it doesn't much matter...an online trainer is beneficial for providing programming specifics particularly if you have specific goals and/or things you're training for.

I used to work with my trainer one on one and that was great...but pretty pricey...I still see him in the gym all of the time (because it's his gym and we're also really good friends)...but now I just pay him for programming my weight training as well as my cycling training.

It really just depends on where you're at and what you actually need.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i would only do an online trainer if you are already an experienced lifter and its more of a program coach. For a beginner i wouldn't recommend online training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just like in-person trainers. It depends on the persons approach and your needs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you go into the eat, train, progress group, you might just find a half decent one.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've used online trainers before at the website I use to track all of my workouts. It can be a mixed experience depending on how well they interact over the web.

If they are able to watch you workout via webcam, it can be helpful... even if they just watch videos and critique.

If they aren't good communicators, it can be a waste of money.

I found it helpful to have lots of live cam sessions, since I workout in a garage gym.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations? No beachbody coach crap!

I don't consider a beachbody coach an online trainer at all. Lol. That being said I know people that have had great success with online trainers but I do think it's best if you are familiar with working out and the basics.

• kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the bowmarfitness.com program.
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been following Katy Hearn,
    and bowmarfitness for a long time now. they seem legit AF.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner and doing compound lifts (which you should be, as a beginner), then I'd really worry about getting your form right. I have seen actual personal trainers who have HORRIBLE squat/deadlift/OHP technique and are passing those on to clients. Save your money. Mark Rippetoe has put up tons of videos on the Starting Strength youtube channel that show proper form, and you can always post to reddit's fitness board to get a form check.

If you're wanting someone to create a routine for you, how will you know if it's any good? If you want to message me and tell me your goals I'll be happy to work with you to come up with a routine that can help you reach your goals for free. You have no guarantee of quality with me, but neither do you of a personal trainer over the internet.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you already know how to lift it doesn't much matter...an online trainer is beneficial for providing programming specifics particularly if you have specific goals and/or things you're training for.

I used to work with my trainer one on one and that was great...but pretty pricey...I still see him in the gym all of the time (because it's his gym and we're also really good friends)...but now I just pay him for programming my weight training as well as my cycling training.

It really just depends on where you're at and what you actually need.

Same for me, I worked out with my trainer for 4 years, he moved to a different city, now he does my programming and still motivates me. This may be different in that he knows my capabilities and limitations, but you should be able to communicate these things with an on-line trainer. Might work for some, not others.

If I was writing my own workouts, I would tend to do the things I like and skip the things I don't like....if he programs burpees, I do burpees. If he programs front squats I do them. I would not do either if it was up to me :)
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up to one for six months, I'll let you know how it goes