Who else has a calorie goal of 1200? Or anywhere close!

Options

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    [
    I'm doing 1200 at the moment, but I usually go for 1500 cause I'm 6'1" and I'm a guy.

If you're a guy 1500 is the MINIMUM.

MFP puts the minimum for men at 1200 and the minimum for ladies at 1000. I know this because I tried to close my diary at 1194 and a message popped up.

The truth is, you could eat 4000 calories and still suffer from malnutrition if all you eat is honey buns. You can also eat 1000 or lower and still get proper nutrition if you have enough body fat to give your body energy. The minimum that you've read about on the internet is there to keep people from dying who don't understand nutrition.

if MFP put a woman at 1000 calories then it was a glitch because I have messed around with the settings and it wont go below 1200. Im eating more than 2000 calories and Im only 5'6 and I lost 0.6lbs this week alone. and Im 163.8 lbs as well. so if I can lose eating that much then a male taller than myself or even 6'1 could lose eating more than 1200-1500 calories. also Im lightly active. most days I get in over 10,000 steps,some days more.Im going to get back to lifting weights too. but if someone is more than lightly active then 1200-1500 most likely is not enough. you have to fuel your body and your workouts. if you arent eating enough and getting enough protein you are losing muscle mass as well. losing too fast too quickly is not good unless you have a lot of weight and fat to lose in which case it will eventually slow down.

Go back and read the thread. There are two other explanations about where I got the 1000-1200 for women from.

I never said I couldn't lose eating 2000 calories.

I'm not losing muscle.

I do have a lot of fat to lose.

ok but still even at that 1200 calories is too aggressive of a goal. even with a lot of fat and weight to lose you still can and should eat more and how do you know you arent losing muscle? everyone who loses weight loses some muscle mass which is why its recommended to take in enough protein and lift heavy to retain as much muscle as you can. as for closing your diary it was most likely a glitch.

Thank you for your concern, but I don't need help I'm doing just fine. Also, it was not a glitch.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    not talking about saving the entry. Im talking about when you put in your weight and how much you want to lose. and MFP experiences glitches often. the only way it would let me save under 1200 is if I ate over that and my net was under 1200. is that what you are experiencing? are you getting exercise and netting under 1200?

I don't eat back my exercise calories, but I also don't eat as low as 1200 on exercise days. I normally only drop my calories to 1200 if I have an injury and can't exercise.

MFP uses the neat method so you are supposed to eat back 25-50% of your exercise calories back at least. it already calculates your deficit. if you are netting less than the recommended for women. you arent getting enough nutrition. this is a marathon not a sprint. weight loss takes time,and should be done in a healthy matter but if you dont want to do things the healthy way then you go ahead. thats up to you.

There is nothing unhealthy about what I'm doing. I increase my calories when I increase my calories out. I just don't use MFP to track that. I track it using other apps.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fiqahana wrote: »
    I honestly am having a hard time keeping my calorie goal under 1200-1500. Maybe because I just started doing this. I keep on having cravings. Any tips for a beginner? Thanks :)

Anyway, to anyone out there, if you ever need a friend to accompany you through this journey to a happier and healthier life, motivate you to reach for you goals, support you through ups and downs, I'm always here to be that friend, so feel free to add me! I hope we all will succeed in this journey, until the end! Have a nice day everyone! <3

I "manage" cravings. That means I allow myself 1 or 2 treats every day. I measure & log those treats. By "managing" treats, that still means I have to make choices. I can't mindlessly eat and lose weight, that won't happen.

1500 is a perfectly respectable goal. If you struggle with 1200 (I would)....then bump it up to 1500. You lose a little slower....so what? Staying the course and being consistent is the most important thing.

Protein, fat, and fiber are filling. You may have to tweak your menu a bit to figure out what things are most filling for you.

Keep in mind MFP gave you 1200 BEFORE exercise. Take a walk....earn more calories.
  • CynthiaEvans
    CynthiaEvans Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am set for 1200 because I know that will work as long as I keep the carbs down also.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    [
    I'm doing 1200 at the moment, but I usually go for 1500 cause I'm 6'1" and I'm a guy.

MFP puts the minimum for men at 1200 and the minimum for ladies at 1000. I know this because I tried to close my diary at 1194 and a message popped up.

The truth is, you could eat 4000 calories and still suffer from malnutrition if all you eat is honey buns. You can also eat 1000 or lower and still get proper nutrition if you have enough body fat to give your body energy. The minimum that you've read about on the internet is there to keep people from dying who don't understand nutrition.

if MFP put a woman at 1000 calories then it was a glitch because I have messed around with the settings and it wont go below 1200. Im eating more than 2000 calories and Im only 5'6 and I lost 0.6lbs this week alone. and Im 163.8 lbs as well. so if I can lose eating that much then a male taller than myself or even 6'1 could lose eating more than 1200-1500 calories. also Im lightly active. most days I get in over 10,000 steps,some days more.Im going to get back to lifting weights too. but if someone is more than lightly active then 1200-1500 most likely is not enough. you have to fuel your body and your workouts. if you arent eating enough and getting enough protein you are losing muscle mass as well. losing too fast too quickly is not good unless you have a lot of weight and fat to lose in which case it will eventually slow down.

Go back and read the thread. There are two other explanations about where I got the 1000-1200 for women from.

I'm not losing muscle.

If you are male and eating 1200 calories, you are most assuredly losing muscle.

Your statement that people can safely eat under 1000 calories is not responsible. Diets this severe need to be medically supervised.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am set for 1200 because I know that will work as long as I keep the carbs down also.

Weight loss is about calorie deficit.

If lowering carbs is your method of reducing calories, then you will lose weight. Lowering carbs is also good for a few pounds of water weight loss the first couple of weeks.

Your macro %'s (protein, fat & carbs)....are for health reasons or satiety, not weight loss.
  • Lucky7z
    Lucky7z Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mine was set at 1200 for the longest and I just set it to 1300,hopefully this helps me with my new goals.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

Your statement that people can safely eat under 1000 calories is not responsible. Diets this severe need to be medically supervised.

You don't have a clue what I'm losing and what I'm not. Don't pretend you know anything about my progress. It just makes you look like a silly magician trying and failing to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Medical supervision isn't a bad idea, but it's not necessary IMO. You are welcome to have your own opinion.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bariatric physicians and endocrinologists often prescribe a lower calorie diet for very obese patients to follow until they have lost a certain amount of weight. My doctor approved me for 500-800 until I lost 25lbs.

We don't know who and who isn't under a medically supervised diet... we also don't know how much one person has to lose until they outright say it. I prefer not to jump the gun and make multiple assumptions and accusations without the full story.

I have noticed those criticizing 1200 calorie diets on every thread are those who are quite active at work or exercise/weight lift 2-3+ times per week. It is obvious 1200 would be contraindicated for those who are quite physically active.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Also, like said in previous threads, some people simply don't weigh all of their food and they THINK they are eating 1200 calories but instead eating more. I wouldn't say this is the case for every person on 1200 but I know when I first started out years ago (at a higher intake) I was not weighing my food and I was not losing at the rate I am now.

• gentleorange
    gentleorange Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For the last two weeks I've followed a strict diet - porridge made with water, salads, steamed vegetables, lean meat. I was quite surprised when I started back on MFP again and it told me I wasn't eating enough. I ended up eating chocolate yesterday to get closer to 1200, but I don't feel great about that. Historically I either diet strictly, or I binge on junk food. I'm nervous about the middle road, I'm not familiar with it. Is there a way to see how other people on 1200 eat on MFP? I am doing better nutritionally right now though. During my overeating phases I don't get near a vegetable!
  • antoniaaa62
    antoniaaa62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mine is automatically set at 1,360 but I try to stay around 1200! Trying to lose in a healthy way but still quickly
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    one question; for those who arent using mfp pal they way its intended to be used, then why are you using it instead of some other site/app? I am literally curious and not asking to be rude.
  • sunshines4nate
    sunshines4nate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For the last two weeks I've followed a strict diet - porridge made with water, salads, steamed vegetables, lean meat. I was quite surprised when I started back on MFP again and it told me I wasn't eating enough. I ended up eating chocolate yesterday to get closer to 1200, but I don't feel great about that. Historically I either diet strictly, or I binge on junk food. I'm nervous about the middle road, I'm not familiar with it. Is there a way to see how other people on 1200 eat on MFP? I am doing better nutritionally right now though. During my overeating phases I don't get near a vegetable!

Hey i also eat my calories and if i have spares at the end of the day and my macro percentage allows for it i have a treat to finish off my cals.. so today my protein was over, my carbs and fat was under andand i had a dessert which used my calories but i still remained within yhe recommended allowances! I cant see why this wouldnt be ok?
  • RobD520
    Options
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

You don't have a clue what I'm losing and what I'm not. Don't pretend you know anything about my progress. It just makes you look like a silly magician trying and failing to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Medical supervision isn't a bad idea, but it's not necessary IMO. You are welcome to have your own opinion.

There is nothing magic about my thinking here. You say you are eating well below the recommended minimum for a male. I assume that you are at a huge deficit. We know that people at defecit that large lose lean mass. It's empirical science.

I would be interested to understand how you KNOW you have lost no muscle. This is not something we can just tell as the weight comes off.....

• Colt1835
    Options
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

There is nothing magic about my thinking here. You say you are eating well below the recommended minimum for a male. I assume that you are at a huge deficit. We know that people at defecit that large lose lean mass. It's empirical science.

I would be interested to understand how you KNOW you have lost no muscle. This is not something we can just tell as the weight comes off.....

Maybe you shouldn't assume so much.

If you know your BF% a little math will get you pretty close to your lean mass. using the same formula every time is highly accurate.
  • RobD520
    Options
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

If you know your BF% a little math will get you pretty close to your lean mass. using the same formula every time is highly accurate.

How are you getting your body fat percentage?
  • Colt1835
    Options
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

How are you getting your body fat percentage?

I measure my waist, hips, wrist, thigh, and some other things and drop it in a calculator.
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Meeee lost 4 lbs the first week it's now week 2