Who else has a calorie goal of 1200? Or anywhere close!

Options

Replies

• Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm on 1200 a day
  • smartskinnyme
    smartskinnyme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm 5'2 but I spend a lot of my day walking so I'm set at 1500/day. But I'd like to take in 1200 to lose 15 pounds. What're your goals? We can be accountability buddies! :)
  • keenaco02
    keenaco02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ME and I'm 5'2. I'll hit my first weight goal in 25 lbs. Just recently started the Couch to 5 k plan. Finished week one day three. I try to stay under calorie goal without dipping into exercise calories....so Hi1

I'm doing the couch to 5k right now as well just finish week 6 day 1. Keep it up :) my calorie intake is 1600 but I'm also breastfeeding a 3 month old. . . And if I'm hungry after the 1600 I still eat (which normally 1600 has me satisfied).
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Me! My goal calorie is around 1200-1500 calories. Trying hard to keep at it. I'm unwell for the time being, I just cannot wait to recover and be back up on my feet doing workouts and stuffs! We're already friends according to my friend list btw lol, let's support each other then :smile:
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I mean I already added you :D
  • mefatpat2
    mefatpat2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Looks like there are a lot of ppl in the 1200 calorie range - which I am too. However, I have found it much more beneficial to me to keep a very close watch on sodium then carbs. These three helped me lose about 4 lbs but then the holiday came and my DIL wanted hotdogs (she just gave birth and could not have them for the whole 9 months). That did me in on the sodium side since I too LOVE hotdogs. Well, just have to start over. LOL
  • tammy323
    tammy323 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1200 per day. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay with that - I'm training for a half marathon and on those long run days I am starving all day! Hopefully this will make me make smarter choices, though. :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    I'm doing 1200 at the moment, but I usually go for 1500 cause I'm 6'1" and I'm a guy.

If you're a guy 1500 is the MINIMUM.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tammy323 wrote: »
    I'm set at 1200 per day. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay with that - I'm training for a half marathon and on those long run days I am starving all day! Hopefully this will make me make smarter choices, though. :smile:

If you're training as much as that you need to eat back at least half your exercise calories.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 at the moment, but I usually go for 1500 cause I'm 6'1" and I'm a guy.

MFP puts the minimum for men at 1200 and the minimum for ladies at 1000. I know this because I tried to close my diary at 1194 and a message popped up.

The truth is, you could eat 4000 calories and still suffer from malnutrition if all you eat is honey buns. You can also eat 1000 or lower and still get proper nutrition if you have enough body fat to give your body energy. The minimum that you've read about on the internet is there to keep people from dying who don't understand nutrition.
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1150 calories a day.

2 eggs each morning, usually hardboiled -- 150 calories
    400 calorie lunch (huge salad, sandwich w/avocado, chicken and rice, etc)
    500-600 calorie dinner (dude, that's a lot of calories)

I don't snack so much as eat my food super slowly. Those two eggs? I usually eat one at 9:30 and the second at 10:30 or so. String cheese works as a great snack when I need one tho.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I perpetually have my goal as 1200, I often go over or under depending on what I am eating and how much I exercise.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

MFP puts the minimum for men at 1200 and the minimum for ladies at 1000. I know this because I tried to close my diary at 1194 and a message popped up.

The truth is, you could eat 4000 calories and still suffer from malnutrition if all you eat is honey buns. You can also eat 1000 or lower and still get proper nutrition if you have enough body fat to give your body energy. The minimum that you've read about on the internet is there to keep people from dying who don't understand nutrition.

This is simply not true. What is your information source?
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

What about it isn't true?
  • DarkNightBrightDays
    DarkNightBrightDays Posts: 32 Member
    Options

This is what MFP state "We do not recommend women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories per day. Eating too little can produce negative health effects."
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Purpleblp wrote: »

This is what MFP state "We do not recommend women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories per day. Eating too little can produce negative health effects."

Correct, but when filling out the diary MFP will let women input as few as 1000 calories and men as few as 1200 calories. If you try to input fewer calories MFP will yell at you and say you're eating too little. It's just two different thresholds MFP has, one is the daily target and one is how much you can literally enter into your diary and still generate the "in 5 weeks..."/notice that you've completed your diary for the day.
  • gav_a1
    gav_a1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men. that was copied from my entry from yesterday at just under 1200 calories

• lemonblossom
    lemonblossom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 1250 calories a day. Btw, I am short! LOL!!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm working on 1200....3 meals a day, about 400 calories each. Not much wiggle room. I am a bariatric patient, I had the gastric sleeve procedure two years ago.
  • emperry9
    emperry9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1200 a day. My fit bit tells me that my RMR is around 1550 or so (without exercise) so I think this is appropriate! :) I am trying to get more friends on here so it can keep me motivated! Sweating for the wedding - sept 17th!