Body Fat estimate please :)

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    @shadow2soul....You have some loose skin around tummy right? That makes it hard for me to pick a number.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It really is very hard to figure out someone's body fat based on pics alone.. The best you can do is give a range, and hopefully the person as been taking some form of measurements and maybe even using a caliper.. which will NOT give a person their real body fat, but can tell you if have lost fat from the last reading or your baseline reading, etc..

So me being 5'4" and based on what I see, I would say range of 23 to 27..
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I know you've lost a lot of weight and you look great. I feel uncomfortable personally suggesting a body fat% for you because while you are slim now, I don't see a lot of muscle. That said, if you keep losing, that won't change. If I were you I'd be comfortable at least edging toward maintenance and possibly a surplus for awhile. You look similar to me when I started, with just a little less muscle.

That said, if you're happy losing a few more pounds, that would have you starting a little leaner. You may feel better about starting around 120, mentally. I started at 128 and looking at 144 at the end of the bulk was a little scary.

I personally think their will be some benefit cutting a bit more.. Not only in terms of priming the body, but mentally.

I agree there too. Honestly I don't have a strong opinion in either direction.

I was waiting to see if you had an opinion on @psulemon's suggestion.

Since OP has sort of been taking a diet break already and seems to be ready to take on another goal of either cutting more or doing a bulk, the question really is, at her current weight and current mindset, is she mentally ready to handle the weight gain and how much does she want to commit to?

I personally have found it better for me to start on the leaner side before a bulk so that it is not such culture shock when the weight gain starts. My first bulk, I gained to fast and ended up short changing the process therefore I was not ready mentally and hated it..

First time around, I bulked till I could not stand the way I looked. This time around I lost weight to bulk and feel much better about the process and even like the weight gain this time around.

Yeah, I'd say it's up to her. Bulking until you can't take it anymore is one thing, but also trying to get lean until you can't take it anymore is another. If OP is comfortable losing a few more pounds, I'd say it may be for the best-if anything, for the mental aspect of gaining.

I personally got down to 128 and was not THAT lean, but I was also getting a little crazy trying to get there. I lost my libido, and wasn't really focusing on anything but myself, my food, and my lifting...my relationships suffered. But, other people might do better than me lol.

I made sure me and my husband has some understandings during the process. Before I too just let the entire process consume me totally. This time, I a lucky we are both doing the process together.

So you bring up great points as it is not just the physical body and mentally, all of the things that make this work, lifestyle, relationships, children, career, etc.. all have to be factors in play. This is serious to say the least especially for us women..

I think though that everyone has to experience their first bulk and cut at some point, and although it is usually not complete failure, you learn about food, you learn about the lifting process and you learn soooooo much about yourself along the way!!

Yes to all of this!

Also, OP, this is about the time during the summer last year when I decided I had no patience for a recomp and started getting as lean as possible for a bulk. I actually didn't start until August so you're a little ahead of the game. It's the perfect time since it's summer to slowly try drop a few pounds, by the time September/October rolls around (perfect time to start a bulk), you'll be a bit more lean. You're not going to want to start a bulk in the summer anyway, right?

:laugh: If I did that my bikini wouldn't fit. There's no way I plan to start before summer is over.

@shadow2soul....You have some loose skin around tummy right? That makes it hard for me to pick a number.

Yes I do. :neutral:
    It really is very hard to figure out someone's body fat based on pics alone.. The best you can do is give a range, and hopefully the person as been taking some form of measurements and maybe even using a caliper.. which will NOT give a person their real body fat, but can tell you if have lost fat from the last reading or your baseline reading, etc..

So me being 5'4" and based on what I see, I would say range of 23 to 27..

I know. I was just curious as to what people thought.

I have 2 scales (I know not the greatest tool for bf%) that estimate bf%. The Aria gives me a trend of 23.8%. The other scale ranges from 18% ( :laugh: ) to 24% depending on which mode it's in (this scale is odd, the lowest BF% reading comes from moderately active setting, the highest reading from very active setting and gives me a number in between the 2 if in Sedentary). Navy measurement method gives me 22.48% and Covert Bailey measurement method gives me 20.4%.

Anyway thanks everyone for your input :drinker: :flowerforyou: