• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »
    There was a debate online , whether artificial sweeteners , especially aspartame cause weight gain or other issues as our body cannot digest it and stuff.
    What are your opinions on this? I think its an interesting topic.

This has been discussed many times on this board.

Sweater comprises of 2 amino acids, which have been proven time and time again to be safe, yet Americana are paranoid to death of it.

There's was a test done on mice years ago, supposedly the mice developed cancerous cells, leading to the biggest logical fallacy surrounding it.

Mice and humans are biologically different.

If you have a sweet tooth, sweetner is a Lower calorie option, it's completely safe.

The mice also got the equivalent of something ridulous like 20 liter diet soda every single day of their lives starting from maturity.

Exactly, and let's be honest anything in that amount will be inherently bad for you.

Wow , Thats ridicolous ..And even worse , most people and nutritionists from all around the world , not just America , think artificial sweeteners cause weight gain

Citation needed

Of what?
    Of what you're saying. Where is the actual data that most people and nutritionists (not a credible source anyway) site that artificial sweeteners are the CAUSE of weight gain. The math doesn't make sense if it's a zero calorie additive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There was a debate online , whether artificial sweeteners , especially aspartame cause weight gain or other issues as our body cannot digest it and stuff.

Sweater comprises of 2 amino acids, which have been proven time and time again to be safe, yet Americana are paranoid to death of it.

There's was a test done on mice years ago, supposedly the mice developed cancerous cells, leading to the biggest logical fallacy surrounding it.

If you have a sweet tooth, sweetner is a Lower calorie option, it's completely safe.

The mice also got the equivalent of something ridulous like 20 liter diet soda every single day of their lives starting from maturity.

Exactly, and let's be honest anything in that amount will be inherently bad for you.

Wow , Thats ridicolous ..And even worse , most people and nutritionists from all around the world , not just America , think artificial sweeteners cause weight gain

Citation needed

Of what?
    Of what you're saying. Where is the actual data that most people and nutritionists (not a credible source anyway) site that artificial sweeteners are the CAUSE of weight gain. The math doesn't make sense if it's a zero calorie additive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

She isn't saying that. She is repeating what others are saying.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    She said:

Where does she get that "most people and nutrionists" think that? Lots of people? Sure. But "most?"
  • weali
    weali Posts: 37 Member
    Options

it always reminds me of the whole 'vaccines cause autism'...if you're ok with (or like) the taste of aspartame then use it if you don't like it then use regular sugar products (sugar, agave, honey, etc) in the end it's all about moderation
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that aspartame tastes revolting and I'd rather avoid it (though I might have a very occasional diet coke if the nasty taste is covered up by a bit of rum or vodka!)
  • weali
    weali Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything your body "cannot digest" could contribute to weight gain. Make your poos a little heavier, maybe.

In order for something to be stored as fuel (fat stores), it has to have fuel (calories) in the first place.
    How could something cause weight gain without being digested? Foods that are not digested are expelled as waste.

People tend to not realize just how strong stomach acid is...chewing gum (which apparently isn't biodegradable) gets broken down (mostly--only the gum base doesn't) by the acid in our stomachs

https://www.reference.com/science/long-chewing-gum-decompose-5a80277038e3f0c0#
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130625-does-gum-take-years-to-digest

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

Does sweetcorn make us fat also?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    weali wrote: »
    I don't think anything your body "cannot digest" could contribute to weight gain. Make your poos a little heavier, maybe.

In order for something to be stored as fuel (fat stores), it has to have fuel (calories) in the first place.
    How could something cause weight gain without being digested? Foods that are not digested are expelled as waste.

People tend to not realize just how strong stomach acid is...chewing gum (which apparently isn't biodegradable) gets broken down (mostly--only the gum base doesn't) by the acid in our stomachs

I'm wondering why you quoted my post. What in the world does gum have to do with what I said??
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    weali wrote: »

I'm not sure how that relates to what I said. If something can't be broken down in the digestive tract, it can't be used or stored as fuel. Your body can't burn undigested gum base.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I can't speak from a study perspective, but anecdotally I and a few of my relatives tend to develop chronic migraines, increased appetite and sugar cravings when we use aspartame-based sweeteners, but I know plenty of people who have no issues whatsoever. As with anything, individual metabolisms and moderation are going to have the biggest impact.