Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Earthing/Grounding

ForecasterJason
ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
Earthing involves getting direct contact with the Earth's surface, such as walking barefoot outside. It supposedly works to improve health by neutralizing free radicals. While several sources note that the science behind this is sketchy, there are anecdotal accounts of people who have tried it and reported that it does indeed work wonders. It also seems that the more, the better. Likewise, the less time spent being grounded, the less of a benefit there is.

What do you think? Do you think it sounds plausible?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

Replies

• angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    it makes you feel happy. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'll stick to a boots on night in the moshpit for my stress relief. Hippie "New Age Medicine" nonsense aside, if getting dirty peds makes you feel better, have at it.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    the only 'free radicals' that are neutralized by this are the ones walking around barefoot...but I enjoy grounding practice as part of my spiritual life...I have always found my connection to a higher power in nature...this is part of that...but there is not scientifically measurable benefit to the body that I have heard of.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Stress has been shown to increase free radicals, so then I would think that explains one way how it can neutralize free radicals.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Well, it makes it easier to get electrocuted if you get struck by lightning or make contact with a power line. :smiley:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Well, it makes it easier to get electrocuted if you get struck by lightning or make contact with a power line. :smiley:

That's one way to get rid of those nasty free radicals.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Earthing involves getting direct contact with the Earth's surface, such as walking barefoot outside. It supposedly works to improve health by neutralizing free radicals. While several sources note that the science behind this is sketchy, there are anecdotal accounts of people who have tried it and reported that it does indeed work wonders. It also seems that the more, the better. Likewise, the less time spent being grounded, the less of a benefit there is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

Complete nonsense:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/earthing/
  • Shayes2006
    Shayes2006 Posts: 5 Member
    I think it is funny that I have ESD training today. I would have to do more research in copper. If it is good for tulips, why not people? In related outdoor health, I remembered a study about the beneficial microbes in soil. It is definitely good to dig in non-contaminated dirt.

"How Dirt Makes You Happy. Antidepressant microbes in soil cause cytokine levels to rise, which results in the production of higher levels of serotonin. The bacterium was tested both by injection and ingestion on rats and the results were increased cognitive ability, lower stress and better concentration to tasks than a control group. Gardeners inhale the bacteria, have topical contact with it and get it into their bloodstreams when there is a cut or other pathway for infection. The natural effects of the soil bacteria antidepressant can be felt for up to 3 weeks if the experiments with rats are any indication. So get out and play in the dirt and improve your mood and your life.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Antidepressant Microbes In Soil: How Dirt Makes You Happy http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/antidepressant-microbes-soil.htm"
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

I get exactly the same benefits by going for a hike (with shoes on).
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I like being barefoot, but I don't think it has any special properties to it. I just like feeling the ground under my feet, I think it makes me walk lighter and more purposely (and I'm less likely to trip since I am trying to be more aware of my surroundings). But I can also do that with thin shoes on, so...yea. My vote is for any benefit being a placebo effect.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I grew up on an island and we didn't have a lot of money so very often we would run around without shoes. All we ended up with were very thick calluses on our soles and worms every now and then. There were many others like me . This sounds like ridiculous first world nonsense, if I may say so myself.

I was thinking along these lines too. It sounds like a good way to get parasites.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Try walking barefoot outside in a 120F degree weather. Even the free radicals will be scorched. And shall the people living in Boston walk barefooted in the middle of January...?

I don't like to walk barefoot unless I am walking in carpeted floor, the exception is when I am taking Yoga or Pilates class, otherwise not!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2016
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I grew up on an island and we didn't have a lot of money so very often we would run around without shoes. All we ended up with were very thick calluses on our soles and worms every now and then. There were many others like me . This sounds like ridiculous first world nonsense, if I may say so myself.

I was thinking along these lines too. It sounds like a good way to get parasites.

Which is kind of interesting when you look at hygiene hypothesis about allergies and autoimmune diseases. So maybe walking barefoot is beneficial, but not in the way the OP thinks :) (sorry don't mean to derail, OP)

Back to your normally scheduled ....?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If it's warm enough to be barefoot, I'm usually barefoot. And I've been healthy all my life. So there you go. Proof positive that it works.

The downside is bees. ::grumble::
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

I've never heard anything about people who garden having more parasites than their neighbors. They do seem happier. Probably not for having dirt on their hands, but for nourishing life and spending time surrounded with beauty.