Options

Replies

• DaytonaTheHousecat
    Options
    I add sugar, oil and cinnamon.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've seen the studies like Trigden posted and do think modest results can be obtained in already lean individuals who have stubborn fat deposits.

I have some on my outer thighs that I'd have cool sculpted in a heartbeat if it weren't for the expense.

I agree that it's no substitute for diet and exercise.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you want to freeze your *kitten* off, just visit Canada in the middle of winter.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I have flabby skin around my gut from where I lost a bunch of weight. My primary care doctor recommended this as opposed to a tummy tuck because of cost, effectiveness and most importantly--safety. Still undecided but interested.

I would talk to a board certified plastic surgeon before doing it. From my understanding it will not help with loose skin. I saw 7 different doctors before my tummy tuck and did a lot of research and I never came across one that recommended this for a weight loss patient to deal with the skin.

^^^ THIS. You need to talk to a plastic surgeon instead of your primary care physician.

I have not had this done, but did consult this summer with a board certified plastic surgeon and talked with a factory Rep from the company that makes the coolsculpting devices. They both made it clear that it is meant to reduce small, localized areas of excess fat; but it is not effective in shrinking pre-existing loose skin.

It was a bummer to hear because I was searching for an effective, non-invasive way to improve loose skin after weight loss. But I'm glad they were both honest with me.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Um...

Sounds similar to liposuction but different technique and takes 3 months...

How about just eat in a caloric deficit for 3 months instead and lose probably the same amount of fat or more and more naturally without fear of something going terribly wrong?

• GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Um...

How about just eat in a caloric deficit for 3 months instead and lose probably the same amount of fat or more and more naturally without fear of something going terribly wrong?

Um...

Because some people do all of that, reach a healthy weight, and still have stubborn, localized areas of fat that they would like to improve.

Seriously. I'm only about 2 pounds away from my maybe goal of 115 pounds and just have these two tiny areas on my outer thighs I can't stand. I have loose skin elsewhere, but these are just fat bumps. I'd love for them to be gone, but we just can't afford it.

I have a decent body fat percentage, I run, I lift weights. I still have these saddle bags.

I am a healthy weight. I've been a healthy weight for a while. These puppies aren't going anywhere.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Um...

Did you read the posts above you discussing what reasonable expectations for this procedure are?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Um...

Um...

Because some people do all of that, reach a healthy weight, and still have stubborn, localized areas of fat that they would like to improve.

Seriously. I'm only about 2 pounds away from my maybe goal of 115 pounds and just have these two tiny areas on my outer thighs I can't stand. I have loose skin elsewhere, but these are just fat bumps. I'd love for them to be gone, but we just can't afford it.

I have a decent body fat percentage, I run, I lift weights. I still have these saddle bags.

I am a healthy weight. I've been a healthy weight for a while. These puppies aren't going anywhere.

I hear ya... the area under my glutes is tenacious :( ! I am bulking right now so we will see if I can help it along by building muscle then cutting down again. Otherwise part of me is seriously considering trying this freezing thing :p
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    The part I don't understand is how can they freeze fat without damaging skin? Doesn't skin get killed if you take it down so cold that you damage fat cells? Frostburn?

Wondering this also.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I had a consultation with a board certified physician. I am 64 years my Buddha (tummy) is old and complacent. Cool sculpting works effectively for the very young 30-45 years. I'm considering SmartLipo. Liposuction to expel the fat cells then laser to tighten the skin. Decision is still unfounded. Am I vain? DH supports me.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    The part I don't understand is how can they freeze fat without damaging skin? Doesn't skin get killed if you take it down so cold that you damage fat cells? Frostburn?

Wondering this also.

This was driving me crazy too. From what I have read so far (shady sources), the fat is affected at a higher temperature than where skin or nerve damage occurs. The biggest issue comes with the length of time it takes to see results and the expense of multiple treatments required. Liposuction gets it done faster and cheaper.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    I had a consultation with a board certified physician. I am 64 years my Buddha (tummy) is old and complacent. Cool sculpting works effectively for the very young 30-45 years. I'm considering SmartLipo. Liposuction to expel the fat cells then laser to tighten the skin. Decision is still unfounded. Am I vain? DH supports me.

Oh, that's good to know. I'm older than that, so I can cross cool-sculpting off my fantasy wish list.

Oddly, my stomach, which is not ideal thanks to having a whopper of a baby at 40, doesn't bother me all that much. Neither do my batwings. It's the saddlebags I can't stand.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    "They" whoever "they" are state that the abs is relatively easier to work off for women and the most difficult for men. Saddlebags on the other hand are the hardest to work off for women and well men's physiques may not have them. Maybe Trigden can weigh in (pun intended) on this subject. I am keeping my batwings and saddlebags for now. It's the Buddha that has to go. I look at her all the time. She is a stubborn fat deposit.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    CorneliusPhoton: Just a note: Lipo is about 7X the cost of CoolSculpt.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    robininfl: Just a note: A certified board plastic surgeon will not perform Lipo on person with large volumes of fat. Usually the procedure is performed on persons who have primarily completed their lifestyle change journey and is unable to be rid of the stubborn fat area. Who wants to HIDE behind fatty deposits. I have hid for years it is time to "bloom!" Lipo is body contouring.Yes, they can re-distribute your fat cells; as an example to your breasts. Science is a beautiful "thing." I really like what Carlos_421 states "I can see where there would be a great deal of failure or even disaster if someone attempted to use this as an actual weight loss technique."
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    robininfl: Just a note: A certified board plastic surgeon will not perform Lipo on person with large volumes of fat. Usually the procedure is performed on persons who have primarily completed their lifestyle change journey and is unable to be rid of the stubborn fat area.

That wasn't my experience. Maybe I wasn't considered somebody who had large volumes of fat, but my surgeon was happy to serve me as I wished. And I saw a lot of his 'before and after' pics of people who had a lot more than just stubborn fat! :)
    CorneliusPhoton: Just a note: Lipo is about 7X the cost of CoolSculpt.

Where did you get your 7x figure? Looking at an average cost of $1000 per area for coolsculpt (reviewers posted their costs here: https://www.realself.com/coolsculpting-by-zeltiq), the price is comparable to my experience with lipo. In fact my lipo on 3 areas was cheaper than this lady's cool sculpting just on her stomach. While coolsculpting's greatest asset is that it is less invasive than lipo, results are going to be less predictable, less noticeable, and will take longer to get.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    robininfl: Just a note: A certified board plastic surgeon will not perform Lipo on person with large volumes of fat. Usually the procedure is performed on persons who have primarily completed their lifestyle change journey and is unable to be rid of the stubborn fat area. Who wants to HIDE behind fatty deposits. I have hid for years it is time to "bloom!" Lipo is body contouring.Yes, they can re-distribute your fat cells; as an example to your breasts. Science is a beautiful "thing." I really like what Carlos_421 states "I can see where there would be a great deal of failure or even disaster if someone attempted to use this as an actual weight loss technique."

Google large volume liposuction. It's a thing.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    True. Only if you have completed their lifestyle change journey. Not as a weight loss procedure.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's sounds awesome and if I had the money I'd be getting that and other laser stuff done to perfect my natural beauty. It must be how the rich stay looking rich. Maybe I can get an ice pack and freeze my own fat? Maybe some dry ice lol.

Because there's nothing quite as sexy as necrosis from frostbite.

I was only kidding.

I actually give myself home made coffee scrub massages on my thighs, that and walking have made my legs nice.

I am intrigued! Tell me more about this home made coffee scrub! Used coffee grinds I presume? I'm going to start stockpiling a stash of grinds...LOL