Fitbit calories burnt

Options
Iv got a fitbit one and i normally do between 12,000 and 16,000 steps a day. My fitbit says im burning at least 3000 calories. Is this right or not? As iv noticed some people have done more steps and only burnt less than 3000 steps
Thanx
Anna

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That sounds rather inflated to me. I got over 21,000 steps yesterday, and my fitbit logged 2600 calories for the day (not for the exercise, for the whole day).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's dependent on your stats as well. The more you weigh, the greater your calorie burn is. Last Monday I burned 3100 calories for 12,600 steps, and I'm currently about 240 pounds. I also have a Charge HR, so that also can make a difference.
  • jessicasmum2008
    jessicasmum2008 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im 172lbs and 5ft 5. Do you think its just over estimated as it doesn't go on my heart rate like most of the fitbits?
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Set it to sedentary
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Following as I feel like mine is inflated as well. I do know that the burn includes your "just breathing" calories that MFP gives you upfront. But on work days when I hit 12-14k steps it gives me a TON of extra calories. So far I've mostly ignored them, but I'm losing more like 2.5/week vs the 1.5 goal I set.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit one and we have the same stats...how long are you on your feet during the day? Like on days I purposefully walk a lot of steps all at once I burn less than days I am taking less steps per hour but I am on my feet all day. I have found that my One is actually pretty accurate for me.
  • jessicasmum2008
    Options
    My active minutes range from 120 minutes to 200 minutes. At 120 mins i just burn 3000 calories and at 200 mins i burn 3700 calories. I try to be on my feet as much as i can, i do the school run and normally a an hours walk and rest is just bits here n there in the house or 10mins to the shops
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For comparison: I'm 145 lbs 5' 4.5" and yesterday my Fitbit Alta steps came to 16,662 and I burned 2406 calories.
  • knelson095
    Options
    That's quite a few active minutes. That means you were moving consistently enough during that time that the Fitbit decided to track it. Mine doesn't track my active minutes if I'm not walking fast enough, lol. My last 16,000 step day was Saturday with 47 active minutes and 2210 calories burned total. That's a big difference to yours. It seems a bit inflated still, if you eat any back I would start with half the adjustment and see what your results are after a few weeks.
  • jessicasmum2008
    Options
    Looks like mine could be inflated then,but iv just looked at my calories burnt on the graph thing and its telling me I burn around 200 calories for 15 mins of walking when my walking is at intense level
  • jessicasmum2008
    Options
    It looks like my fitbit tracks my active minutes even when im only moving for 1 minute.i always thought it only counted active minutes if you walk for at least 10mins
  • knelson095
    Options
    Could be you just walk a lot faster than me. I went back and pulled six weeks of data from Fitbit and MFP and it showed that Fitbit underestimates my burn about 90 calories per day. Everyone's different though so you'll just have to pick and amount to eat back and see.
  • jessicasmum2008
    Options
    I dont eat back any calories burnt. I was more just wanting an idea of how much im burning a day. I dont log any exercise or steps. Tomorrow will be weigh in day on my first week using mfp
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I only take half of what my Charge HR gives me.
  • knelson095
    Options
    What's your activity level set at here on mfp? You don't have to eat any back to see if the burn matches. You just compare calories eaten, calories Fitbit says you've burned and actual lbs lost/gained/maintained. You'll just need more time to gather enough data.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Im 172lbs and 5ft 5. Do you think its just over estimated as it doesn't go on my heart rate like most of the fitbits?

The HR-calorie estimate is only used for exercise anyway - the daily stuff is still based on steps, distance, pace, weight. Which is more accurate than HR at lower levels anyway.

If walking up/down hills, or with extra weight - it's not even counting that as extra effort for increased calorie burn.

So MFP gave you an eating goal based on your guess of NON-exercise eating level, right or wrong.

Now MFP is trying to correct it's estimate and your guess by using figures from a more accurate method.

But you don't want to use the corrections?

Big mistake. You are adding to whatever deficit you already told MFP to use to lose weight.

Bigger is not better - unless you don't like muscle mass and think it'll be useful to be rid of some of it.

Only thing to be concerned with is if the distance is way off.
    The distance should be right on for your average daily serious pace - not fast exercise, not grocery store shuffle - average.
    That give best chance for it to adjust the distance dynamically (which it does) based on impact, for longer or shorter strides for other paces you do.
  • jessicasmum2008
    Options
    My activity level is set to lightly active. I wouldn't say im more than lightly active. I was told its best to work out my TDEE and then take 500 or 1000 calories off that and thats the amount i should eat and to not bother adding exercise as iv already added in my exercise level in with my TDEE
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you but MUCH heavier and my Garmin shows 1800 calories for 6200 steps but it only shows 286 active calories. That's all I count are my active calories and that's the credit I get when it synchs to MFP.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to lightly active. I wouldn't say im more than lightly active. I was told its best to work out my TDEE and then take 500 or 1000 calories off that and thats the amount i should eat and to not bother adding exercise as iv already added in my exercise level in with my TDEE

That can be true - if your TDEE has your exercise included in the estimate.
    I'll mention I'm set at Sedentary on MFP, on big sedentary day with less than 4K steps - I get a positive adjustment of about 100.

Sedentary is really sedentary. Most people aren't. You got over 50 lbs to healthy weight for that 1000 deficit to be reasonable?

But you are attempting to use a tool, MFP, that is designed to work with NO exercise included, give deficit - and you add exercise when actually done, and eat more - same deficit.

But now you are trying to use it wrong with an average TDEE method that includes exercise.

And it sound like sync with a device that is intended to help MFP work the way it's designed to.

So either use MFP correctly with Fitbit correcting it.

Or unsync the accounts - and your TDEE is what your Fitbit weekly report says. Take your deficit and manually set your eating goal - MFP activity level doesn't matter then, set to maintain and who cares activity level.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit One burns are accurate. If I don't eat back the calories it gives me, I lose more than the 2lbs/week I'm aiming for.