It's soooooo hot outside!!

Options
I missed my early morning gym workout because I overslept and had to rush to work. I live in SC where it's in the upper 90's plus the humidity. I stand outside and sweat like a pig.
I'd like to at least go for a walk to earn some extra calories but can't bring myself to go out in this horrid weather.
What do others do in these hot, humid climates?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Come to Seattle - it's cold. :)
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of FitnessBlender workouts.
    They are free, super effective, give you a calorie burn range and tons to choose from.

I'm here in TN and yea, disgusting outside, even at 6am.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I go out early (I get sweaty but then I just shower up and I'm good for the rest of the day) or I work out inside (basement). Where there's a will there's a way. Don't let the weather slow you down!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Deep South here.. My morning runs at 5:30 a.m. are still over the top humid, sticky and hot! I do not come home from my morning run with anything on me dry including my socks.

I have my very first "night" run in Agust and have yet to do an 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. run yet.. I looked at the weather for a.m. and p.m. and even though the heat of the day at 8:00 is still really really bad, it is not far off from what I endure in the a.m.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I live in New Jersey so I know what you're going through. If you have access or membership at a gym just go to the gym. I don't like the idea of working indoors during the summer rather be outside but have to be realistic.

For me my gym workout is the pool or spin bike
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I would try some online or DVD workouts. There are ways to be active without torturing yourself :) I like browsing Pinterest for fun, new ideas (lately I've been checking out Pilates and Yogo exercises). If you do decide to brave the heat, make sure you drink TONS of water, and stop the workout if you feel dizzy or sick. Sucking it up is great but not if you end up with heat exhaustion! Good luck!
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am in the military and stationed in Maryland. It was 78 degrees at 645 this morning, and humid like a sauna. I had a 4.5 ruck march planned and thought it would be miserable. I took the first step and never looked back. I hated each step, but knew over the long run it would benefit me. I think its just a mind game that you have to push through. Like we say in the Army "drink water, suck it up, and drive on". Probably not much help, but hopefully some motivation.

I think I needed to hear this. Love it. I took my dog for an hour long walk. I sucked it up.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Swim :smiley:
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm in Houston. We've been getting up to go walking early before the sun comes up. It's still relatively hot and humid, but not miserable. But if we oversleep, and I try to go out after my husband has gone off to work and the sun is up, it's MISERABLE. We're about to start taking our walks in the evening, once the sun has started to set. Again, still relatively hot and humid, but not as bad as when the sun is up, and this way we can't oversleep and miss it.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just spent nearly an hour walking up & down every aisle on both floors of Target to get my extra steps & take advantage of their air conditioning. I don't have it at home and we've got the same weather here in OH that you do.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's been super hot here in NYC the past few days. If I dont leave the house to jog by 7 or 8am what I do is just work out in my house (mainly a lifting or something workout from a different website), sweat for about 40-50 minutes, then take a nice cool bath/shower.

ETA I dont have air conditioning so I just try to train all fans on me, put on some funk and get it done.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Weather.com says it's 99 right now with a Heat Index of 103.
    What to do? Sit in the den with the A/C blowing.
    Don't dare go outside. My hearing aids quit when I perspire, and I do that ... heavily.
  • gggrade
    gggrade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Currently in Texas, running every day around 5pm when its over 95 before factoring in humidity. Honestly, just drink a lot of water during the day, bring water with, and then just accept that its gonna be a little uncomfortable. As long as you are careful about paying attention to the type of misery you're feeling (is it just sucky or is actually seeming like you might be in physical danger?) it's entirely doable.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a native Floridian, so it's hot year-round. Some days I suck it up and distract myself with good music, a podcast, or a show, and other days, I stay inside with the A/C and walk along with Leslie Sansone or do other free workout videos from YouTube.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am in North Carolina and it is HOT here too. I have been waking up around 6am and I go for my hour morning walk. I do get sweaty. Sometimes I will shower and sometimes I will take a warm wet small towel and rinse off the top part of me. Dry and powder and I am good to go! My hair is fine on walking days. I only walk 3x week.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Okay, not quite as hot here and not often but because it's the UK we don't have the luxury of air con at home and I work out at home. Fitness Blender like someone else mentioned. And my flat is abnormally hot. So it's deeply deeply unpleasant on those very hot days we get but I just do it and make sure to chug plenty of water afterwards. I also sweat ridiculously at all times so that makes it even more fun*

*Not actually fun at all
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I suck it up
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I work out inside :)
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Phoenix, moved inside for the summer. I don't like gloves for exercise and you can't touch anything made of metal that's in the sun when it's 110F without them.