It's soooooo hot outside!!

Options

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have a small desk cycle that I use when I'm stuck at home. I can use it for a while, watching tv or playing on my tablet.

I've got one similar to this. No upper weight limit, cheap, and portable.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Exerciser-Attractive-Silver/dp/B002VWK09Q/ref=sr_1_11_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467945528&sr=8-11&keywords=Desk+cycle
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Death heat desert here
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I schedule my runs/walks at sundown. It's still hot, but it's cooling down by then.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm from Georgia and I try to do a short run once a week after work around 8 pm but it's still in the upper 80's and a longer run Saturday mornings it's only in the mid 70's around 7 am. I don't like running on a treadmill so during the summer I limit my runs to only twice a week because of the heat and humidity.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I suck it up... Better than the cold and ice to me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I suck it up... Better than the cold and ice to me.

This. Much better than ice.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I walk at about 5:45am. The last few days it has been 82 degrees with around 85% humidity. Gah!
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am in the military and stationed in Maryland. It was 78 degrees at 645 this morning, and humid like a sauna. I had a 4.5 ruck march planned and thought it would be miserable. I took the first step and never looked back. I hated each step, but knew over the long run it would benefit me. I think its just a mind game that you have to push through. Like we say in the Army "drink water, suck it up, and drive on". Probably not much help, but hopefully some motivation.

The OP seems young, most of us here are in pretty good shape, but keep in mind that this can be very dangerous advice for the general public. Heat stroke is a thing, as are undiagnosed heart issues. Maybe I'm a baby, but when I run, I'm out there on my own. I'm in great shape, but I'm 45 years old. So I have that nagging image in my mind of me passed out on the trail somewhere all alone. There's more to taking care of yourself than nutrition and exercise.

I live in PA, though, so this heat is all temporary and easy enough to work around. This week it's early mornings, in the gym, or .... screw it I'm just going to the pool haha
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have gone walking in very large air conditioned stores/ malls... I have also done body weight, lifts etc. cardio work indoors. I've gone out in the middle of the night for a run... I workout at the gym now, in the mornings... but those are a few things. I live in Texas, yesterday the real feel indicator was 105 degrees. I, hate, the, heat! Hope you find what works for ya!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I missed my early morning gym workout because I overslept and had to rush to work. I live in SC where it's in the upper 90's plus the humidity?

Not pleasant. I certainly wouldn't be doing my usual training unless there was aircon. I would probably just go for a walk.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and its also been awful here lol. Sometimes its okay to push through but as someone who has actually had a heat stroke I tend to be a bit more careful, I wait until around 7:30pm, its usually cooled off a bit by then and is a little breezy. Im just careful to stay in a safe open area and be home before dark.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in SC too! I spent $100 on a used treadmill on Craigslist and I blast the fan while I'm on that every morning. Just can't do it outside. I still take my dogs on walks in the evenings but those are pretty leisurely.

Treadmill is kind of boring but I sometimes put Netflix or something on the phone and watch that. Also it folds up when I'm not using it so it doesn't take up too much space in my bedroom. I have a tiny house.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Its 100 degrees here with 60% humidity and it is down right painful to go out in during the day. I run later at night or really early in the morning to avoid it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go out running early or late. But either way, it's just something to do. Sometimes you sweat more, and sometimes less.

You can check the hour-by-hour heat curve for your area on Weather Underground, which is pretty interesting to do anyways.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do "walking" workouts indoors all winter long (slippery sidewalks). There are lots of these on YouTube......

Look for Jessica Smith TV or Walk At Home videos (Leslie Sansone)
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Luckily I made it to the gym this morning so I don't have to deal with the heat today, at least. I'm not sure why I live in the south ;)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I'd still rather be outside. I run/cycle in the heat, I run/cycle in the cold & snow. I run in the rain. I live in the Miami Valley of the midwest and we have 100 degree days in the summer and negative 0 days in the winter [Fahrenheit]. What kills me is the humidity. When it gets humid out it really bogs me down.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I hate heat. It's the nice air conditioned gym for me or swimming at the pool.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I primarily cycle and in the summer I get up early and go...if I don't, I just suck it up and ride in the heat of the day...keep in mind that I'm well trained and pretty fit and acclimated to training in the heat...it's just not my 1st preference.

In your case...if you're not comfortable working in the heat (heat exhaustion/stroke is very real and dangerous) just move on to the next day...in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty irrelevant don't you think? Another option would be to go mall walk or something...maybe swimming.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home in front of my AC.