Fit Shaming

Options
Anyone surprised by some of the negativity that comes with pursuing a fit lifestyle, and some of the attitude you've gotten since you've achieved your goals?

The Planet Fitness thread got me thinking about some of the stigma attached to being fit.
How I'm subject to underhanded jokes about using steroids (which I don't).
Or how people will often treat me like I'm dumb.
Others assuming I've always been fit and therefore think my advice wouldn't be helpful to them.
Judging me for dedicating time to something that seems fruitless in modern society.

Worse still is people trying to explain to me why and how I'm wasting my time.

I'm pretty much a hermit anyways, keep to myself and all, but it just gets to me that something that has been so positive for me can generate more negativity than I can quickly recall.

Anyone else face similar challenges/annoyances?

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Yep, occasionally I'll hear a negative, snearing comment (from men) about the shape and size of my chest. Rank jealously.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Yep, occasionally I'll hear a negative, snearing comment (from men) about the shape and size of my chest. Rank jealously.

Yeah I get this too

Bwah ha ha.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yeah I get this too
    Oh your nipples are placed too low on your chest like mine?

• TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I will say that for most of my life when I would see someone with your physique OP I would automatically conclude that he was self absorbed and probably a womanizer. My view softened as body building became more mainstream and I encountered real life examples of men who were good dads and husbands and still found time to maintain their physique.

Funny how that works out.
    Guess I could be if I wanted to, but honestly I've been single for the better part of seven years without more than a handful of casual encounters and I think I'll just classify myself as asexual at this point, it isn't worth my while.
    I have gotten more shaming and crap being fit than I ever while being fat. It's sad. These are the same people that claim to be "happy" at any size.

The HAES people are always the first ones to point out how unhealthy a slim girl looks or how unnatural someone with muscles is.

Villae81 wrote: »
    Winners always gets hated look at Tom Brady

Guess the steps we take to improve ourselves are reminders of their own failure to take control of their lives.
    I've seen this a lot in shows where someone is morbidly obese as well as the rest of the family, and that one member tries to change things and the prevailing attitude from the other members is "oh so now you're better than us? too good to eat our food?"
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think its jealousy.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You can't fix stupid. Ignore them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've not run into this but it sounds annoying.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yeah I get this too

Bwah ha ha.

:bigsmile:

Yeah I get this too
    Oh your nipples are placed too low on your chest like mine?

Pics or it didn't happen