Do you have a fat pet?

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My girls are a little chubby right now. I fed them the recommended amount on the cans/bags, and they managed to gain a couple of pounds from what they weighed when I brought them home from the shelter. I have restricting their food and trying to get them to play, and they seem to be down in weight. They still have a little chub to work on.

ETA: I have seen some seriously fat pets though. My dad's dogs weigh probably twice what they should. They look sort of sad :ohwell:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I watched my cat go from svelt to a little pudgy over 11 years. She has never liked to play. she will romp around a little and after about 2 minutes she says "forget this". She doesn't eat that much, and I feed her Dr. Foster and Smith dry cat food , and a 2 tablespoons of wet food twice a day.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My kitty has fluctuated in weight, it seems like when I gain she gains when I lose she loses. I think the last time I weighed her she was like 10lbs but she is now at my moms place because our apartments don't allow pets so her weight could be anything right now. But I always thought of her to be average/healthy.
    ba0d23f3-a005-41f0-ba23-ebeb9352403e_zps780405cf.jpg

That me and kitty Christmas of 2012. (Before I started my diet.)
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I work at a kennel and it's just awful the number of severely overweight pets that come through. The owner of the kennel is usually pretty blunt with them and will tell them straight up their dog is fat and then discuss what to do about it. Most people are pretty responsive and genuinely didn't think their pets were overweight. The majority of the time when people see a dog at a healthy weight, they think he's too skinny because we're so used to seeing fat pets. It breaks my heart to see dogs so fat they can barely walk outside to go to the bathroom.

ETA Here's my Heinz 57 pooch :) As healthy as can be at 62 lbs

oooohclyde_zps80e16520.jpg

f9889713-53b5-4176-a4fa-3c8c66113739_zps57bc0f5b.jpg
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've always been really conscious of my pets' health, even when I've been lax with my own - they have no control over it, so it's up to me to make sure they're eating a proper amount of food (we portion control - no free-feeding ever) and getting enough exercise! Our two dogs, and two of the cats are lean, mean and muscular. Our one old outdoor boy is tubby - he made friends with the neighbours' cats so he can go visit and snack on their crunchies (they're free-fed outdoors) :grumble:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My poor Lexie is too fat...
    532838_10151428263518460_417915216_n.jpg

And my poor Harley is too skinny...

923148_10151428263118460_329778864_n.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    kmmm - can you see Henry's ribs? Its hard to tell from the pic but he doesn't look too skinny to me. I would guess based on the pic he is a good weight, but again, its hard to tell
  • Cindy679
    Cindy679 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The German Shepherd (Jasmine) is not fat - but she's three and super active...the Boxer (Allie) is a tad bit overweight. My fiancé thinks that treats are a form of affection and I battle with him about it all the time. I think Jasmine keeps Allie a bit more active, but Allie really prefers to hold down the couch (unless she thinks you have a treat for her, then she moves pretty fast!)

The vet said that a Milk Bone is the equivalent of a glazed donut in people food, so we often split the milk bone between the two dogs. Hopefully, that helps a little bit...oh and the boxer is 12...so she's slowed down a little in her old age.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We have 3 dogs (hound mix, corgie-terrier mix, and a pit-boxer mix) who are all at a normal weight. One cat who is in the top half of normal but the vet doesn"t say anything so I think he is fine. Our female was 23 lbs last August and having trouble cleaning herself. I didn't know what to do because we were still at my mother's house at the time and she was stress eating. My mother insisted on feeding them at 5AM when she got up so my girl was eating hers and any leftovers the others didn't finish. She also wasn't playing because my Mom's new male cat was picking on her so much that she would spend all day hiding under the sofa while we were at work and then slept all night with me. Fast forward, we moved out into a house with 3 floors, and she is now losing weight, yeah! I switched her to a diet food for indoor fixed cats. It says it helps them burn fat better. And she is getting back to her old self, she is playing with the toys again! She chases them around like crazy and lots of time her play goes from floor to floor so she is really working it. Cannot wait until next month when she goes back for her one year checkup. I am really excited to see what her weight is because everyone comments that she is looking smaller. :smile:
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The German Shepherd (Jasmine) is not fat - but she's three and super active...the Boxer (Allie) is a tad bit overweight. My fiancé thinks that treats are a form of affection and I battle with him about it all the time. I think Jasmine keeps Allie a bit more active, but Allie really prefers to hold down the couch (unless she thinks you have a treat for her, then she moves pretty fast!)

The vet said that a Milk Bone is the equivalent of a glazed donut in people food, so we often split the milk bone between the two dogs. Hopefully, that helps a little bit...oh and the boxer is 12...so she's slowed down a little in her old age.

I am not surprised on the comment about Milk Bones, we buy our dogs the smallest bones available. The pit - boxer mix at first looked at me like really (he is my husband's dog from before we met)? But it has worked out great because they thankfully don't have weight issues.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a Chihuahua that is about 14lbs. He is taller than most Chi's, so I think he is mixed. He may have an extra pound or two, but not bad. I also have 3 cats (two are my fiances). Our newest kitten is a Snowshoe mix with Siamese and he is still growing (may be about 5 months old?). The other cats are big. Both of the larger cats are sneaky. They find ways into the dogs food bowl, on top of their own. :\
  • Imara6mara
    Imara6mara Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I saw some really disturbingly fat pets when I worked for a vet.

Like a dachshund who has "a rash on their stomach" that was from his belly hitting the ground when they walked.

A Boxer that weighed 175 lbs and was so obese that his little nubbin of a tail looked like an innie belly button. Big surprise when he developed heart failure. :frown:

A cat who was literally too fat to poop. The poor thing was so sedentary and out of shape that even the muscles to move food through the intestines were too weak to work, so she had frequent fecal impaction, despite being on laxatives full time.

A pair of 150 lb or so golden retrievers whose owners thought it was a good idea to buy them vanilla sheet cakes for their birthdays. Just for the dogs to eat.

This is so sad. :cry: I read this and then started imagining a 'Biggest Loser for Pets' reality show on Animal Planet. Maybe something like that would help people realize how bad things can get and how to help them get back to a normal weight again.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. :cry: I read this and then started imagining a 'Biggest Loser for Pets' reality show on Animal Planet. Maybe something like that would help people realize how bad things can get and how to help them get back to a normal weight again.

This is a great idea!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I saw some really disturbingly fat pets when I worked for a vet.

Like a dachshund who has "a rash on their stomach" that was from his belly hitting the ground when they walked.

A Boxer that weighed 175 lbs and was so obese that his little nubbin of a tail looked like an innie belly button. Big surprise when he developed heart failure. :frown:

A cat who was literally too fat to poop. The poor thing was so sedentary and out of shape that even the muscles to move food through the intestines were too weak to work, so she had frequent fecal impaction, despite being on laxatives full time.

A pair of 150 lb or so golden retrievers whose owners thought it was a good idea to buy them vanilla sheet cakes for their birthdays. Just for the dogs to eat.

While that's a good idea it's not the animals fault for being fat it's the owners fault for over feeding them. Having a show like that would do nothing for the animal because ultimately they will go back to the way they were because the owner will continue to over feed them and not care.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    my cat is a little overweight, but about 3 homes feed him along my road.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Here's Danny, wearing his orange vest as we get ready to go out hiking:

IMG_5852.jpg

And here are Jasmine and Jasper:

IMG_5851.jpg

Here is Danny wishing that I would feed him more than I do:

IMG_5449.jpg
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i had a friend in high school who had a 26 pound cat. and not a maine coon. this was a fat mother ****ing cat. the thing would literally wobble back and forth as it slid its belly across the ground to get to its food bowl.

^ cat shaming.

not cool. :angry:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    my 2 cats are overweight though I tried not to let them get that way. One of the cats was eating all of the other one's food lol so I would put out a bit more food to make sure the other one would get enough

they are also indoor cats and don't get a lot of running around.

having overweight cats in particular is very dangerous and if you have a cat that is overweight PLEASE be very careful when trying to put it on a "diet" and talk to your vet about how to get it to lose weight safely because cats are prone to hepatic lipidosis if their body starts using too much of the fat stores for energy

it can be fatal and can happen in all cats if they stop eating for 2-3 days for whatever reason but it is more of a risk in an overweight cat

I had to force feed my cat for 2 weeks and I still have to make sure he is eating enough for the next 4+ weeks because he almost died :(
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I do not have fat pets, it's way easier to limit what they eat than to have discipline to do the same... I was a vet assistant for 11 years also, so I know the risks.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Nope! I have a very trim and athletic pembroke welsh corgi, I just wish I could live by his example haha

1013728_10201434582576262_1505307044_n_zps2234e7c8.jpg

This is Waffles :)