Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

World's oldest priest says strict routine basis of long life?

GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
in.reuters.com/article/us-life-belgium-priest-idINKCN0ZQ0FU

I expect it was more than just a strict routine that has help keep Father Clemens active for 107 years. In photo 9 of 10 clearly he is on the thin side compared to man on his left side so calorie restriction may have been a way off life. Serving as a priest for 80 years would indicate he side stepped job hunting, housing, financial concerns at a personal level most likely. Serving for 80 years indicates he was mentally alert and could hear and read aided.

After I set a goal to live to be 110 walking and talking the entire way these cases grabs my attention. I find my goal helps me keep my way of eating in focus and that it keeps evolving.

Do others of you have concrete stated longevity goals? Per the obituaries that I read most goals must be set in the 70's range.

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I have no desire to live to be that old. The odds of me feeling good and having a good quality of life are pretty low. (They are for anyone). I'll be making myself a DNR at age 70.

I'll strive to have a healthy , strong years while they last. But even with all of my efforts and good choices , alas we all have to die someday and genetics will win.

This guy has the trifecta of healthy choices, genetics and lowered stress.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I have zero desire to outlive my children and spouse. I expect to live a good life and go gracefully into the oblivion.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'd love to see 90 or so but I have a few health issues that make me doubt it.

I have pretty bad osteoarthritis in my hips at 42, to the point where I feel it all the time. I'm not looking forward to what 50 is going to feel like nevermind 70 or 90. Darn it.

@Christine_72 LOL I hear you. Middle age looked a lot older in my youth.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    I have no desire to live to be that old. The odds of me feeling good and having a good quality of life are pretty low. (They are for anyone). I'll be making myself a DNR at age 70.

I'll strive to have a healthy , strong years while they last. But even with all of my efforts and good choices , alas we all have to die someday and genetics will win.

Only the extremely naive think Living Wills (which outline the conditions of DNR) are only for the old, bad things can and do happen to even the young. I had my kids have one since they were 18 so they could name who they wanted to represent them in health matters if they became incapacitated and to document their wishes. Obviously it will be something that they will change and maintain periodically throughout their life.

I have no intention of giving up at 70. I know people in their 70s, 80s and 90s that are vibrant and active throughout their lives. I aspire to be one of them.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yeah, as long as i have all my faculties and am not being cared for 24/7 in a nursing home, I'll be happy to live as long as i can! Age is just a number, it's not as if you hit a certain age and your life is over..
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member

lol dnr at age 70?? Wait til you hit 50, 70 won't seem soooo old to you then :wink: You're only 27, when i was your age i thought the age I am now was old....

[/quote]

I've got the genetics for that age. I've got the stress level for that age. I'm getting the healthy lifestyle sorted out now. My dear Mrs doesn't have the genetics for that age and it's unpleasant to see her body deteriorating as rapidly as it is.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

lol dnr at age 70?? Wait til you hit 50, 70 won't seem soooo old to you then :wink: You're only 27, when i was your age i thought the age I am now was old....

I've got the genetics for that age. I've got the stress level for that age. I'm getting the healthy lifestyle sorted out now. My dear Mrs doesn't have the genetics for that age and it's unpleasant to see her body deteriorating as rapidly as it is.[/quote]

I guess my only fear is dying before my husband, i think I'd die of a broken heart not long after.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    I believe it's a matter of genetics for the most part. I don't have the genetics for it personally (and that's a good thing because I don't have a partner and will have no one to take care of me if I grow frail) and I will likely die from heart disease between the ages 30 and 80 like every single person who died in my family, or possibly of cancer like my grandfather. I do intend to give myself the best chance I can to push it towards the higher end.

My ex boyfriend's great great grandfather lived to 109 and he died when we were together. He was a farmer with a very active lifestyle, walking everywhere till the day of his death (by falling off a cliff, unfortunately). He also had a very active social life, which appears to be common among those who live long. He had 9 children most of whom lived close to him (and 2 living with him) with lots of family gatherings and communication. What's interesting is that most of my ex's family (including him) were thin. My ex was even underweight.

Genetics trumps all, including diet. The longest lived people have varied diets, but interestingly every single one of them I happened to read about consumed pulses and grains. It might not mean anything, because these are staples in many countries. Heck, one even attributed her 115 years of life to bacon, cake and ice cream.

An interesting thing the guinness record holder for the oldest man to have ever lived said was: he ate until he was 80% full, and got a lot of sunlight. His most eaten foods were rice, pumpkin and sweet potatoes, eaten in 3 meals a day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I'd like to live forever. But I don't want to be miserable trying to do it and I don't want to live past the point where I can be independent and active. In other words I want LIVE as long as possible but not just be alive as long as possible.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I don't really think about what age I want to live to but more my quality of life for however long I'm alive.
    I'd like to live to see my dd settled happily and independently into her adult life. I'd like to live as long as dh. I want to be active and engaged as I age.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    My grandfather just passed away in November at the age of 104. All I will say is the man loved his scotch and potato chips, and he was dating a young thing (she was only 80 lol). A bad head wound after he tripped and fell was what accelerated his decline.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of living that long, to be honest, even though he was healthy, fully independent, and still had his driver's license until he was 100. But it's in my genetics to do so.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    in.reuters.com/article/us-life-belgium-priest-idINKCN0ZQ0FU
    Do others of you have concrete stated longevity goals?

Neither of my parents or my sister had an easy or "good" death, far too much pain, suffering and indignity.
    It's been a big motivator behind me getter fitter and healthier. Not for more years - just for more good years.
    My longevity goal is simply to live while I'm enjoying life and I have no desire to be a burden or to extend a life I would regard as pointless.

Would rather go with a bang than a whimper.
    Assuming my wife has gone before me then going out with a gang bang would be perfect. :wink:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The bolded part tickled my dark sense of humour....

An 81-year-old woman from Norfolk has had "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed across her chest in case she falls ill and attempts are made to revive her.

Joy Tomkins had the message tattooed, along with "P.T.O." and an arrow on her back, earlier this year.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-14802369
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited July 2016
    I want to live as long as I'm able to while still being independent and in full control of my capacities.

Not sure how long my family typically lasts... men on my dad's side of the family seem to run into back luck in their early 60s, which makes me nervous since my dad just turned 50; however, my dad is the only man who hasn't gotten diabetes. Women on his side seem to last a bit longer, but get dementia in their early 70s or 80s (my grandmother and great-grandmother, respectively). No idea about my mom's side, since her mother died of cancer when my mother was 7 and I know nothing of my mom's grandmother or great-grandmother.

I'm hoping that the steps I'm taking now (exercising and watching my diet) will help in the long run - as far as I know, no one on either side of my families have been active or too concerned with diet. I plan to stay active, physically and mentally, as long as my body will allow - maybe being active in my twenties will help prevent a lot of the ills that seem to crop up in one's 30s, 40s, and 50s? Most on both side of my families are overweight, probably class I obese at most, so to be honest I'm not sure if my family's lack of longevity is due to genetics or lifestyle.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Do others of you have concrete stated longevity goals?

I don't want to die. I don't want to get sick or frail, either. There are people who think modern medicine will eventually find a way to prevent death. I haven't had any children, so if this were possible I would not be contributing to infinite population growth.

The last time I was in Stehekin, we hired a float plane to take us back to civilization. Our pilot was about 85, and inattentive. He dropped his sticky bun and slumped over to find it under his chair, we thought maybe he'd had a heart attack. At another point in the flight he took his hands off the controls to point out a bear on the mountainside, with the rickety plane just hanging there in the turbulence, fifteen hundred feet above the water. I exercise a lot and eat pretty well but who knows what the future holds for me?
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member

It's not because it "seems" old. Work enough codes on anyone over that age and see how the odds would favor me (or you)