Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

World's oldest priest says strict routine basis of long life?

Options
13»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=45

@7bull the chart in this article gives a breakdown of all the good stuff in onions for our health.

We lost a neighbor 3 years ago at the age of 96 and another one at the same age this summer. They grew much of their own food most of their long lives and cooked at home and did a lot of hunting and fishing. Both were walking and talking right up to their deaths at the age of 96.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am planning on living to my mid nineties or better in good health. I take good care of myself, maintain a healthy weight, eat a whole foods plant based diet, exercise. My mother passed away at 84, but did not take good care of herself (bad diet, smoker, no exercise), and my father is 87 and in great health, so I think mid-nineties is achievable.
  • 7bull
    7bull Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins absolutely, onions and garlic are both cornerstones in nearly everything I cook. The benefits are amazing for something so simple, and since I enjoy eating them so much, all the better! A great resource for info on all kinds of benefits from different plants, and some interesting history on them as well, is a book called "eating on the wild side" I believe the authors name is Jo Robinson. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys such knowledge.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    I have no desire to live to be that old. The odds of me feeling good and having a good quality of life are pretty low. (They are for anyone). I'll be making myself a DNR at age 70.

I'll strive to have a healthy , strong years while they last. But even with all of my efforts and good choices , alas we all have to die someday and genetics will win.

This guy has the trifecta of healthy choices, genetics and lowered stress.

Because nothing bad could happen before you're 70? Because you think life isn't worth living after 70?

Why pick 70?

Because the older we get, chances of CPR being a. Successful and most importantly b. Returning to quality of life had before rapidly diminish. I am not saying I don't want to live past 70. I hope I live a long prosperous life.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    7bull wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins absolutely, onions and garlic are both cornerstones in nearly everything I cook. The benefits are amazing for something so simple, and since I enjoy eating them so much, all the better! A great resource for info on all kinds of benefits from different plants, and some interesting history on them as well, is a book called "eating on the wild side" I believe the authors name is Jo Robinson. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys such knowledge.

I tell the little daughters to eat onions for better hair ;) Onions are high in sulfur, hair is high in sulfur, I eat lotsa onions and have good hair...

Really I just want them to eat what I cook because no way are we making separate dinners for everyone.
  • 7bull
    7bull Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

I tell the little daughters to eat onions for better hair ;) Onions are high in sulfur, hair is high in sulfur, I eat lotsa onions and have good hair...

Really I just want them to eat what I cook because no way are we making separate dinners for everyone.

I tell my wife how incredibly heart healthy onions are, to no avail haha. She detests them, but enjoys the flavor they impart, so just pushes them to the side, but hey, more for me!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Yeah, as long as i have all my faculties and am not being cared for 24/7 in a nursing home, I'll be happy to live as long as i can! Age is just a number, it's not as if you hit a certain age and your life is over..

I'm 69 years old. I find the DNR talk by younger people amusing -- I used to think that way 40-50 years ago. If I could do it in reasonably good health and medicine advanced to the point where I could live for 150 years or more, I'd do it in a shot.

The young view old age with something like horror, knowing they're probably not going to avoid it (and truth be told, thinking that maybe they'll somehow be the exception to the rule). For those of us who are there: the house is starting to crumble, but the seven year old who once lived in it is still spinning around on the front lawn in the sunshine, laughing at the sheer joy of being alive.

I'm not giving up without a fight. We can better our chances, but in the end none of us knows how our stories are going to turn out.

At 65 I agree with you. :)
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've never sat down and contemplated how long I wish to live. What have contemplated is achieving 99% of the goals I set out for myself and to impact people, near and far in a positive way. As I've bundled through the years it's becoming clearer that spreading ones truth/doing what's real to you is best thing one can do while on this earth. Everything else falls into place.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Yeah, as long as i have all my faculties and am not being cared for 24/7 in a nursing home, I'll be happy to live as long as i can! Age is just a number, it's not as if you hit a certain age and your life is over..

I'm 69 years old. I find the DNR talk by younger people amusing -- I used to think that way 40-50 years ago. If I could do it in reasonably good health and medicine advanced to the point where I could live for 150 years or more, I'd do it in a shot.

The young view old age with something like horror, knowing they're probably not going to avoid it (and truth be told, thinking that maybe they'll somehow be the exception to the rule). For those of us who are there: the house is starting to crumble, but the seven year old who once lived in it is still spinning around on the front lawn in the sunshine, laughing at the sheer joy of being alive.

I'm not giving up without a fight. We can better our chances, but in the end none of us knows how our stories are going to turn out.

My dad died when he was 47, i was a teenager and remember thinking "he made it to a decent old age" :noway:
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I tell my wife how incredibly heart healthy onions are, to no avail haha. She detests them, but enjoys the flavor they impart, so just pushes them to the side, but hey, more for me!

If you don't mind me asking... are onions really that good for you? I really like them and use them in food as often as my boyfriend can tolerate it, but I never considered them to have any notable health benefits?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

If you don't mind me asking... are onions really that good for you? I really like them and use them in food as often as my boyfriend can tolerate it, but I never considered them to have any notable health benefits?

@Wicked_Seraph look at the graph in this link for specific why some people eat onions.

whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=45
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People eat onions because they taste good.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for quality, not quantity of life. Of course, I want to live long enough to raise my child, retire, do cool retiree stuff. But old enough for great, great grandchildren? No thank you. At some point, being so strict with oneself would reduce the quality of my life ATM. Balance.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to live to be that old. The odds of me feeling good and having a good quality of life are pretty low. (They are for anyone). I'll be making myself a DNR at age 70.

Huh? What? I am just about 50 and probably in the best shape of my life. NO WAY am I calling it quits at 70. My husband's 72 year old dad just helped us completely re-landscape our front yard - hauling rock, throwing mulch, planting bushes. I daresay that he may be in better shape than my husband.

Having said that, I have zero desire to live past the age of 100.