Maintenance calorie range

I read where people maintain between a range for example (1600-1800). I would think a 200 calorie variance is high. I try using TDEE to determine my maintenance. I know that maintenance is not a set amount, but I wasn't aware the variance can be that large. I'm tempted to try to increase my calories by an extra 100-200 to see if I can maintain on more. I average around 1525. I would like to average 1700-1800. I exercise 6 days a week, doing Pilates along with body weight exercises. I also do walk away the pounds. I use 5 pound Dumbbells with Pilates and 2 pound gloves with walk away the pounds. I use my elliptical machine a couple times a week. My exercise sessions generally last an hour. I would say moderate intensity with some bursts of higher intensity. I used to exercise much more when I was losing weight, but I can't afford to lose anymore so I slowed down a bit on exercise intensity, and I cut out a day. I used to exercise 7 days a week.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Quite a few people choose to move from deficit to maintenance gradually, adding 100 or so daily calories, staying there for a week or two to see what happens, adding more if they lose or staying put if they hold steady. It takes time, but eases you into maintenance.

I think most people have a maintenance body weight range, because of weight fluctuations being likely - plus or minus 3 or 5 pounds around goal weight, something like that.

Some people choose to use TDEE method like you are, some of us stick with NEAT + exercise - just a personal preference thing. Other than that, I haven't read too many people saying they use a calorie range, other than maybe being willing to be up or down a bit from their precise daily target, rather than trying to hit it exactly every single day.

Then there are people like me, who choose to eat at a lower daily level (below estimated maintenance) most of the time, then eat at a much higher level on weekends, or somesuch thing, so they average their maintenance calories over a week or so. That could result in a difference of more than 200, though, and isn't exactly a range in the normal sense.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    I have decided to go into maintenance during my upcoming holidays which begin in three weeks. My GW is 145 lbs - 4lbs to go - but am not sure if I will get there or not. Trying not to sweat that as the last five pounds have been really slow to lose.

After much thinking, I am not planning eating fully at maintenance calories as prescribed by MFP. I will likely increase my daily calories to 1500 just to see how it goes during my holidays and track as best I can while away.
    Then in September I can take a look again, see where I am - or where my hips are, lol - and readjust as necessary. I really, really, really, like the idea of saving calories for the weekend. I am pretty sure that that plan will work for me.

So, for now, once in maintenance my range will be approximately 1500 per day with exercise calorie consumption a flexibility point.

All that being said, for my height (5'.5") and age, etc. I think I could probably get down to 135 but that is a very tentative plan for the fall term.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I would think a 200 calorie variance is high.
    Seems very low variance to me unless you have a very regular routine.

My TDEE varies from 2000 on a very rare inactive day to an equally rare 6500 day.
    I also have large seasonal variation to account for as I'm a cyclist.

It's part of why I don't use the average TDEE method.

Must admit I don't quite understand why you have cut your exercise if you want a higher TDEE?
    Move more, eat more is always my preferred option.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm in agreement. Although mostly because exercise does such good things for my mental health.

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Seems very low variance to me unless you have a very regular routine.

My TDEE varies from 2000 on a very rare inactive day to an equally rare 6500 day.
    I also have large seasonal variation to account for as I'm a cyclist.

It's part of why I don't use the average TDEE method.

Must admit I don't quite understand why you have cut your exercise if you want a higher TDEE?

I cut my exercise because I was losing too much weight. I'm not saying that I want a higher TDEE. I just thought if calorie maintenance is a range that I want to test to see if I am at the lower end or the higher end. That's all. I'm not really interested in exercising a lot more just to eat more. LOL

But thanks much for replying. I appreciate it. Gosh, you have a really large range.
  • leejoyce31

I'm in agreement. Although mostly because exercise does such good things for my mental health.

Thanks for replying. Exercise does help mentally, but I feel good about my regimen 6 days a week. Not interested in exercising more just to eat more. However, I want to optimize the amount of calories that I can eat. So, if I am eating at a lower range based upon my current activity level, I would definitely like to see if I can get fit in a couple hundred extra calories and see if I maintain. No harm in trying. Thanks much.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Thanks for replying. Exercise does help mentally, but I feel good about my regimen 6 days a week. Not interested in exercising more just to eat more. However, I want to optimize the amount of calories that I can eat. So, if I am eating at a lower range based upon my current activity level, I would definitely like to see if I can get fit in a couple hundred extra calories and see if I maintain. No harm in trying. Thanks much.

Definitely worth experimenting - it's going to take weeks to gain 1lb of fat if that does actually put you into surplus.
    You may be pleasantly surprised that your actual maintenance calories end up slightly higher than the bare figures suggest, mine did.
  • leejoyce31

Definitely worth experimenting - it's going to take weeks to gain 1lb of fat if that does actually put you into surplus.
    You may be pleasantly surprised that your actual maintenance calories end up slightly higher than the bare figures suggest, mine did.

Thanks!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member

There seem to be some 'experts' and limited research that suggest that increasing to maintenance calories slowly from a deficit may help convince some people's bodies to reach a slightly higher level of maintenance calories (as compared to making a big jump from deficit straight to estimated maintenance), especially if one continues/increases vigorous exercise alongside that gradual increase.

Since you're already thinking about 100-200 calorie daily increase each week, maybe that will help you reach your goal = perhaps that's already why you're thinking of doing that. Not a sure/proven thing, but I don't see a downside to slow increase, either.
  • leejoyce31
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There seem to be some 'experts' and limited research that suggest that increasing to maintenance calories slowly from a deficit may help convince some people's bodies to reach a slightly higher level of maintenance calories (as compared to making a big jump from deficit straight to estimated maintenance), especially if one continues/increases vigorous exercise alongside that gradual increase.

Since you're already thinking about 100-200 calorie daily increase each week, maybe that will help you reach your goal = perhaps that's already why you're thinking of doing that. Not a sure/proven thing, but I don't see a downside to slow increase, either.

Thank you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I'm a little confused by your original post. When you say you average 1525, are you losing at that amount currently? How much are you losing? For how long? Is that what you are eating ,or that is your net calories after exercise? That's kind of low for a maintenance TDEE if you are exercising 6 days a week, what are your stats?

I'm not sure why you think a 200 cal variance in TDEE would be so surprising - that could easily be the difference between a day with no exercise and a day with light exercise. For someone who is a distance runner or cyclist - they would have much higher calorie burns on long days than on short days or rest days.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and maintain around 120 with a TDEE of b/w 2100-2300 according to my FitBit. It just really depends on how active I am on a day to day basis, which is why I still follow the MFP method and set a goal off of NEAT and then eat back exercise adjustments from my Fitbit.