Family frustration

Options
I've lost more than 30 lbs so far and have kept it off, despite food-filled events (where everyone stuffs their faces). Over time I learned to pay attention to my stomach's cues and stop eating when I'm no longer hungry. This helped me a lot with weighing and tracking.

Unfortunately because I track my calories and stop eating when I'm not hungry, my family's interpreted it as an eating disorder. I have to wonder how I can have an eating disorder when I eat treats on occasion and I go out to eat...it doesn't matter to them.

My brother got into an argument with me over why it's not good to check my weight or record my body measurements. He said "if I don't like what I see, I work out more." I've tried explaining weight loss is calories in have to be less than calories out...nope, not gonna hear it. His wife agrees with him too, and I kind of want to ask her what does she know-- she's never been overweight and has never had a dress size bigger than a 4/6. Sooo frustrating (angry face).

My relatives are in town and they're all like "why are you sooo skinny?" "why are you losing weight?!" Some of them have gotten upset with me. I don't think I should have to explain or justify myself but when I don't say anything they get mad...when I do say "My doctor told me what I'm doing is great," they still get upset.

I just want to tell everyone to stfu and leave me alone. No one cared when I was very overweight and obese and had health problems. Now I'm healthier and everyone has something to say.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    They'll get over it. More food for them.
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    troutlilly wrote: »

I just want to tell everyone to stfu and leave me alone. No one cared when I was very overweight and obese and had health problems. Now I'm healthier and everyone has something to say.

They are projecting their insecurities and inadequacies onto you because they are jealous of your progress.

• nezza_93
    nezza_93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear they're looking out for you but as long as you're being healthy and your doctor isn't concerned then you're not wrong. Try to keep your head up! Maybe tell them you're working with you doctor on this and it's what's best for you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Families tend to develop certain dynamics and roles over time, and it can be upsetting when someone makes obvious changes to themselves. There's a good chance they'll get used to over time.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Tell them when they get an MD at the end of their name then they can have an opinion.
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Haha I like the telling them to get an MD, and the strip club is hilarious. LOL.

My family has told me over the years, since I was a teen, how they think I'm "husky," "chubby," and "fuller." As I got older I learned to develop thicker skin and ignore them. I come from an ethnic background where it's expected for women to be small and slender. My body doesn't fit that mold, BUT I am a lot healthier and more fit than a lot of the skinny chicks in my family. My mom's commented on my arms because I have the tricep cut and how my sister's arms look "better." Funny enough, my sister expressed admiration over how she could tell my body looks better and how much stronger I am. I have an aunt who told me I should keep extra weight because it helps you look younger...LOL. Never heard that one before!