Just a vent about stupid comments

Options
CindyFooWho
CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
edited July 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm really trying to take some of the comments I've been receiving in the spirit with which they were (I hope) intended, but sometimes it's hard. I've received the usual, "geez, eat a donut or something" but the most recent one really kind of bothered me. It was "you look like a 12 year old." I'm sorry, was that at all supposed to be flattering? I look like a CHILD?

Just to paint a picture, I'm 125 lbs at 5' 4". Slightly muscular. Seems perfectly normal to me and I feel fantastic. I feel normal and strong. I'm not dieting and am upping my calories weekly to find maintenance. Anyway, the critiques get hard to listen to sometimes.

I think the problem is that I'm FAR from 12. I'm 45, in fact, and many women in my circle of friends are a bit heavier. And that's FINE, I think they're beautiful. But perhaps they think that's the way I should also appear? As if, I'm freakish for my age group? (I'm not) Maybe? I don't know.

Anyway, no real question here, just getting it off my chest. Frustrated & trying to ignore it.

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Screw 'em. Don't let the *kitten* get you down.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sometimes thin on an aging person isn't as flattering as it used to be when younger, mainly in the face from what I've experienced. Maybe that's what's happening to you. Either way, it's all about YOU, as you already know. It's about how you feel about yourself and how you want to present yourself. If you like it, screw them. They shouldn't be saying that type of stuff anyway.

disclaimer: I'm not in any way saying you're old, just that everyone gets older and what worked at 20 isn't always going to work the same at 40, etc.
  • CindyFooWho
    Options
    Sometimes thin on an aging person isn't as flattering as it used to be when younger, mainly in the face from what I've experienced. Maybe that's what's happening to you. Either way, it's all about YOU, as you already know. It's about how you feel about yourself and how you want to present yourself. If you like it, screw them. They shouldn't be saying that type of stuff anyway.

disclaimer: I'm not in any way saying you're old, just that everyone gets older and what worked at 20 isn't always going to work the same at 40, etc.

I hear ya and that thought is exactly what her comment triggered in my mind. I'm going for "fit" not "skinny" here. I'm naturally petite - really small ring size, no boobs (unfortunately), etc., so this is where my body naturally goes. But you're not wrong. Thanks for the kind words.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying to take some of the comments I've been receiving in the spirit with which they were (I hope) intended, but sometimes it's hard. I've received the usual, "geez, eat a donut or something" but the most recent one really kind of bothered me. It was "you look like a 12 year old." I'm sorry, was that at all supposed to be flattering? I look like a CHILD?

Just to paint a picture, I'm 125 lbs at 5' 4". Slightly muscular. Seems perfectly normal to me and I feel fantastic. I feel normal and strong. I'm not dieting and am upping my calories weekly to find maintenance. Anyway, the critiques get hard to listen to sometimes.

I think the problem is that I'm FAR from 12. I'm 45, in fact, and many women in my circle of friends are a bit heavier. And that's FINE, I think they're beautiful. But perhaps they think that's the way I should also appear? As if, I'm freakish for my age group? (I'm not) Maybe? I don't know.

Anyway, no real question here, just getting it off my chest. Frustrated & trying to ignore it.

I don't think it was meant as a complement, so just ignore it!
  • CindyFooWho
    Options
    You are all full of wise words, thanks so much. I never did this for appearances. I just like to feel light and strong.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If this happened on MFP, it's an attack and against the rules. Report the post and hope the Mods do something about it :)

You don't look like a child to me AT ALL.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You look fit and active to me, and given the setting and giant beer in your profile pic, I'd love to go on vacation with you! I understand that it can be hard to ignore stupid comments, but seriously... you look great! Don't let the haters get to you!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    Ah, let it slide. I'm 40 and when I popped into work on my day off wearing skinny jeans one of my colleagues made a very similar comment to yours. People feel like they can say anything to you when you're slimmer!

I completely agree that people feel they can say anything when you're slim. I tell people that all the time. The skinny comments can be insulting just like fat comments.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too. I started hearing things like that around 127lbs as well (I actually decided to gain some weight back, because I wanted to though). You're happy, you look great. F em'.
  • bdawes60
    bdawes60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think we come here for support not matter what nobody to criticize anyone for trying to make themselves better, BTW eating a doughnut is no answer you need healthy foods. So please stay strong in your journey to good healthy and ignore all nay sayers
  • CindyFooWho
    Options
    Oh just to clarify, this was a real life "friend," nobody here! That would truly shock me, we are cool people!

Again, thank you all for your wise and kind words. It was just such an odd comment.