is the Weight Loss Tracking Accurate? What am I doing wrong?

Options
So, I tracked my food/exercise for one week and it is telling me I should lose about 9 pounds in 5 weeks which seems realistic since I am eating low calories and working out 3 hours of cardio per week. I got on the scale after one week and lost 0 calories. Can anyone give me some advice or see if I am doing something wrong?

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Zero pounds? It is likely water retention from exercise. You probably will see a drop. Keep going.

ETA: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/12/just-started-exercising-gaining-weight/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "tracked"? If you don't have a lot of weight to lose, tracking is very important to get right. It's a numbers game, and accuracy is key.

Can you open your Food Diary so we can take a look?

How much weight are you needing to lose to get into your healthy weight range?
  • eviltwinz
    eviltwinz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I opened my food diary. I am only trying to lose about 10 or so pounds.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to buy and use a food scale. Your portions are probably larger than what you are recording
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Your diary is still closed.

So, with 10 pounds to lose your Goals settings here on this site should be set to "Lose 1/2 pound per week." Eat what it tells you to eat, add in your Exercise and eat those additional couple hundred calories a day, too.

Buy a digital food scale and weigh everything that goes in your mouth. Track everything using the above suggestions for six weeks. Then you will have an accurate numbers data set from which to run your weight loss. It's your experiment to run, but you need good data over a period of time in order to make progress and maintain your loss once you get there.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    The last ten pounds are a bugger.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yeah, it's going to be slow...painfully so. Unless the OP is very young. When I was in my twenties I could stop drinking Coke for a week and drop ten pounds. Not so anymore.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
  • eviltwinz
    Options
    So, I have been weighing all my food on a digital food scale and also went to the doctor since I have a torn rotator cuff right now and just got full blood work which came out good. I am limited with exercise due to the rotator injury and am getting it operated on in August. Walking is the only cardio I can get in right now with minimal pain. I have a hard time eating 1200 calories without going over carbs/sugars/protein so I have been eating under 1200 calories. Don't know if that matters.
  • eviltwinz
    Options
    Ok, I made my food diary public
  • cmriverside
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, it matters. RESET your GOALS to "Lose 1/2 pound per week." It will give you more than 1200, for sure. Eat a couple hundred more for every hour of moderate-speed walking you do.

As far as carbs/sugars/protein ...it doesn't matter if you go over on protein and fat, those are GOALS/Minimums to hit. You'll lose weight if you try to hit right at or just below your [calorie] goal, regardless of your carbs/sugars/protein ratio...which should be higher than 1200, unless you are a very tiny or older woman.

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food with a food scale, don't use measuring cups. You are eating more than you think.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    With only 10lbs to lose, you have no room for error. Your logging has to be spot on. Your diary is still closed so either you have an undisclosed/undiagnosed thyroid issue or something is off in your tracking. I was sidelined by an injury at the time of my last cut and those were pure vanity pounds for me. I lost 1lb/week despite not being able to exercise and having hypothyroidism. If you were in a deficit, you would be losing.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Its been ONE week. At least give this 3+ plus weeks. It takes the body time to adjust to less calories just as it does "you" in general.

The flow chart above is something that will become handy should you not loose any within 3 weeks or so.

And it says that you will loose 9 pounds in 5 weeks with only 10 to loose, why so aggressive?

And for anyone that may read this that has 10 pounds or less to loose, the food scale is now more important than ever!!! You do not have to change exercising. The folks telling you to exercise more are in correct in telling you to increase that. You increase that if you want to increase your fitness level, not to loose pounds.
  • eviltwinz
    Options
    I must be doing something wrong...how do I open my food diary?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    eviltwinz wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong...how do I open my food diary?

Your diary is open, but things still aren't showing as weighed.
  • eviltwinz
    Options
    Oh...not sure what that means
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It looks like you counted 12 crackers instead of weighing them by the gram, same with the watermelon, the ketchup, and even the bread may not be accurate. With only 10lbs to lose, there isn't much wiggle room.