is the Weight Loss Tracking Accurate? What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Almost all of your entries are in cups. Nothing really looks weighed to me. You're eating more than you think you are.
  • eviltwinz
    eviltwinz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ok...I will start weighing, I just figured bread etc. you could go by serving size.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Except - by changing your routine, your body will likely react to the new stimulus by retaining water weight. Changing the routine at this point would probably backfire, if a number on the scale is the goal.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That chicken entry you used on the 7th is wrong. 3oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast is around 100 calories. If it was 3 oz grilled boneless skinless breast your looking at around 130.

I rarely every have slices of bread that weigh a serving. Most of the time they weigh more.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    eviltwinz wrote: »
    Ok...I will start weighing, I just figured bread etc. you could go by serving size.

All the little caloric estimations add up over the day and it is easy to wipe out your deficit. If you understand that and want to accept those results, go for it. If you want reliable weight loss, you need to dial it in. Neither way is right or wrong, what fits with your life right now? If I'm not dieting, I won't weigh my bread either but if I'm dieting, I want to make sure I'm as accurate as possible at the end of the day.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    ...And for anyone that may read this that has 10 pounds or less to loose, the food scale is now more important than ever!!! You do not have to change exercising. The folks telling you to exercise more are incorrect in telling you to increase that. You increase that if you want to increase your fitness level, not to lose pounds.

That is nice to know, but "if" OP is eating 1200 calories as claimed, then it would be best not to go lower.

Understandably with a rotator cuff injury it will be difficult to exercise upper body. Perhaps OP could work on maintaining until after recovery from surgery? Maintaining is better than gaining. When activity level goes back up the pounds might start coming off.

RoxieDawn, if what you are saying is true (that exercise makes no difference) then MFP wouldn't ask us our activity level when setting our daily calorie goal.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ...And for anyone that may read this that has 10 pounds or less to loose, the food scale is now more important than ever!!! You do not have to change exercising. The folks telling you to exercise more are incorrect in telling you to increase that. You increase that if you want to increase your fitness level, not to lose pounds.

That is nice to know, but "if" OP is eating 1200 calories as claimed, then it would be best not to go lower.

Understandably with a rotator cuff injury it will be difficult to exercise upper body. Perhaps OP could work on maintaining until after recovery from surgery? Maintaining is better than gaining. When activity level goes back up the pounds might start coming off.

RoxieDawn, if what you are saying is true (that exercise makes no difference) then MFP wouldn't ask us our activity level when setting our daily calorie goal.

It asks you for your activity level without exercise factored in. That way you lose weight with or without exercise and when you exercise you get to eat a bit more because it increases your total daily calorie burn above the activity level you selected.
  • eviltwinz
    Options
    I would like to lose weight but more importantly I want to lose inches. Although I have an injury I am walking 3.5 pace 3 or 4 times a week so I am getting exercise. I will not be able to get any workout in for two weeks probably. I don't mind weighing all my food. I eat a lot of the same meals. Does anyone think not eating 1200 calories is a problem? I have not been as active due to my injury and also I mentioned I am concerned about going over sugar/carbs etc. If anyone has any suggestions to my food intake that would also be great.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    As your 1200 calorie deficit does not include exercise only your daily activity (walking to the bus, housework, gardening, movement at work, etc) you should be able to lose, with accurate logging, using the parameters you have set.

However, with only 10lbs to lose .5lbs a week is an appropriate goal. This is because one has little fat to burn and if one sets one's loss too high one could start losing more muscle.

Also, injuries and healing need calories to recover. Eating at maintenance, or just a small deficit, for the next few months with the emphasis on reaching your protein goal (treat it as a minimum) will help you have a good recovery.

Make learning to log accurately your goal. Those last 10lbs really do take time to lose.

Cheers, h.
  • eviltwinz
    Options
    Thanks for all the help...I guess I need to weigh the food, be more patient and just give it some time.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @eviltwinz :
    I agree with @middlehaitch . You will need to focus on your recovery after your surgery . It will be better to eat at Maintenance, while in recovery
    Losing the last 10 pounds took me several months, even when I was weighing all of my food on a digital scale. That is the way it is, unfortunately

Losing inches will take place when you lose body weight. Strength training is helpful. I swear by lifting weights

You need to focus on your impending surgery and subsequent recovery. When your surgeon releases you for day to day activities, you can start exercising

Good luck in your surgery

• DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

It asks you for your activity level without exercise factored in. That way you lose weight with or without exercise and when you exercise you get to eat a bit more because it increases your total daily calorie burn above the activity level you selected.

No, when I signed up it asked me my activity level on MFP and asked how much I wanted to lose. I figured my exercise into my goal. I suppose that could make a difference for OP as well.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this video - it highlights measuring food with cups and measuring against a food scale. There is a noticeable difference that can add up to a few hundred calories per day - putting you at maintenence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI9ZSGeBkqc
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @DebSozo, MFP works on NEAT calculations that do not include exercise. One is supposed to add and eat back exercise calories.
    The activity level is daily activity excluding exercise.

If you wish to use a NEAT calculation as your TDEE that is fine, but it is not how MFP was designed.
    A lot of people have no interest in exercising and MFP allows for that.

Cheers, h.

Ps the section where you fill in your exercise goal when you are initially filling in your stats is just so you can track if you are reaching the goal you set for your exercise. Those numbers are not part of the calorie calculation MFP gives you.
    MFP is not too clear on that point.

Cheers, h.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    @DebSozo, MFP works on NEAT calculations that do not include exercise. One is supposed to add and eat back exercise calories.
    The activity level is daily activity excluding exercise.

If you wish to use a NEAT calculation as your TDEE that is fine, but it is not how MFP was designed.
    A lot of people have no interest in exercising and MFP allows for that.

Cheers, h.

Ps the section where you fill in your exercise goal when you are initially filling in your stats is just so you can track if you are reaching the goal you set for your exercise. Those numbers are not part of the calorie calculation MFP gives you.
    MFP is not too clear on that point.

Cheers, h.

Thanks! I'm working with my TDEE then.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @DebSozo
    Deb, try putting your numbers into a TDEE calculator (below). It will make being able to change your goals easier if your workout routine/ frequency changes.

I switch between TDEE, if I have a consistent routine for 3-6 months, and NEAT, if my exercise routine is sporadic but my daily activity level is consistent.

In summer I move more and move heavy things during daily activity and am not working out regularly so NEAT lets me track exercise when or if I do it. In winter I am a sloth so I am regular at the gym and TDEE is simpler.

Cheers, h.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Full disclosure- I don't log often anymore as I have been maintaining for years, but my mind still does the calorie switch.