Protein powders for women - Questions!

Hi all,
I've been up and down the health & weight loss road now for a couple of years but am still completely in the dark about protein powders. I would really like to incorporate it into my diet but there are just SO MANY and most of them come in giant containers. I'm kind of picky about flavor and I'm afraid to buy one and find out I can't deal with the taste. Lots of $$ down the drain..

I want something that:
a.) tastes good (so many of them are nasty!)
b.) lowish in calories
c.) doesn't make me feel sick or bloated (I used to drink Muscle Milk after working out and it always made me feel like I was going to barf)
d.) isn't bad for me

I recently purchased some Designer Protein Aria "Women's Wellness" protein powder. I bought it because it was a small container ($10), it's sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar, and 2 scoops gives you 15g of protein for only 90 calories.

I just made my first shake, and it's DELISH. The problem is that when I started reading the label more closely I realized that the first ingredient is soy protein isolate. Dammit! I generally try and avoid soy products because they mess with my estrogen levels, they're GMOs, they're linked to breast cancer, etc. I'm kinda pissed that it promotes itself as a "women's wellness" product because of this.

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions on that, and also what the differences and pros and cons are of whey, soy, egg, vegan, etc. powders. I don't really know where to start!

Thanks everyone,
Sarah

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    I buy one from my grocery store. It's a whey protein isolate made by Kaizan, I think. I get about 30g of protein per scoop for 110 calories. I like the taste, even with just water (I get the chocolate one).
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    edited July 2016
    I love Unjury protein powder. It's a high quality protein recommended to me by my doctor. 1 scoop is 100 cals and 21 grams of protein. And only 3 sugars! I mix a scoop with about 8-10 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk in the morning with a serving of PB 2 to make a peanut butter cup shake and it's fantastic. You do need a shaker bottle type thing though to get all the clumps out.

ETA: it does contain a small amount of soy lecithin, so if you're super duper sensitive to it, then maybe pass.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited July 2016
    Try going to Bodybuilding . com and seeing if any powders with ingredients you are looking for offer samples, a lot of them do on there. I have tried powders other people love and thought they were disgusting, and vice versa. It also depends on what you mix them with. Sometimes you can find sample sizes on Amazon as well.

I tend to avoid powders marketed to women, because there is no difference in what should or shouldn't be in it based on gender, and the ones marketed to women are usually more expensive just because they figure we'll pay extra because it says "women" on it!

I use Trutein and really like all the flavors I've tried so far, for what it's worth :) They are @ 26g protein for @ 120 cals, a mix of whey and casein. No idea what it's sweetened with.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    I buy the vanilla Kaizen from Costco.
    35g protein, 2g carb, .5g fat = 150 cal

Ingredients:
    Whey protein isolate, natural flavours, soy lecthin, sucralose (30mg/40g), stevia.

The majority of my protein comes from food, I just use protein powder to top up my protein if I am low at the end of the day. Just measure out the grams of protein I need to reach my goal, mix with water, and drink it down. I rarely go 100 cals over and could do a slight cal adjustment the next day if I needed to.

Taste of protein powder is very individual, as is the acceptance of the ingredients, and the price one can afford to pay.
    Why not do a little shopping on line or at your local health food/ supplement store and get a selection of single serving packs to try.

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    This is my current fav, but I don't have many restrictions other than good flavor and the most protein bang for the calorie buck.

http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-powders/salted-caramel-2-lb-canister/
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I tend to avoid powders marketed to women, because there is no difference in what should or shouldn't be in it based on gender, and the ones marketed to women are usually more expensive just because they figure we'll pay extra because it says "women" on it!

^^This. They also don't usually have as much protein in them, because they typically are lower caloric-ally than regular protein powders.

GMO's are not something to fear...the link of soy products to breast cancer is actually lower than most of the food we eat on a daily basis, and you'd have to eat literal TONS of soy on a daily basis, and I'd like to know how you determined it to mess with your estrogen levels? Did your MD run some sort of test for soy? What test was it? I've just never heard of such a test, and I'm in the medical field so would like to educate further, because I've certainly never heard of a test that can determine a source of hormone fluctuation.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have Quest Vanilla Milkshake. 20g protein and 100 calories. It makes great smoothies and fluff, too. I go with the vanilla because it is the easiest to mix with a variety of ingredients (like fruit, coffee, etc.). You can buy it in sample/individual packets to try it before buying a whole tub.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I want minimal ingredients in my protein powder, so am currently using Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, 24.6-Ounce Can.

Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

It has a light vanilla flavor. I put it in smoothies every day and have put it in protein fluff, oatmeal, etc.

Note: this is the Natural option. My mom got the Vanilla option and I found the vanilla to be too strong for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    It is impossible to recommend this to someone. Just as you said Muscle Milk makes you feel like barffing, this is one of the ones that really makes me feel the best or at least with 0 side affects that do not notice.

You choice is try a locate sample packs of protein powder either through places like bodybuilding.com or muscle and strength, etc.

I have no problems with Muscle Milk (knockout choc only) or Dymatize products mainly ISO-100 series.

Finding something for you that is out right considered NOT bad for you is like saying, please get into the car, I promise 100% that we will not have an accident today.

Hate to say it, but to get a good value protein, its gonna have calories and depending on what you get it could be nasty or it could be less nasty. These things really aint that great to begin with. I just use it as my protein - medicine to meet my goals.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    If you have problems feeling bloated and sick, maybe you need to try a non-dairy based protein. My digestive tract rejects casein (milk protein) so I've used a vegan protein powder made by Sunwarrior and blend it with almond milk, frozen fruit and some stevia. (There's one that's a complete protein blend that includes pea protein and does not have soy in it, and that's the one I get.) I think it's about 19 grams per serving. I've only had the unflavored kind because I use real fruit and other things to flavor it on my own. I've never felt sick or bloated after using it. It's got a decent texture, not gross at all. Good luck finding a protein powder that works for you, OP! :)
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    I'm allergic to spy and milk (whey) and really enjoy the Garden of Life vanilla vegan protien powder. It's organic and has tons of other nutrients. I don't think it's high calorie - I think around 150? The other flavors aren't bad but vanilla is my favourite.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

Agreed. Other than the protein powder container being pretty colors and a slightly higher price. Some might even have some woo-ish ingredient in them.

I personally like the ready to drink muscle mlk, Musclepharm combat, Body Fortress, Pure protein. Just look for something that has the most protein per serving and more servings or your $$.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    My favorite is Quest Salted Carmel. I also love their Peanut Butter (better yet--mix those two together!).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016
    Like others have said, I don't do "for women" protein powders. I'm fine on whey protein, but I find that I prefer using Vega Protein Powder. It's vegan, contains fruits and veggies, and shouldn't make your stomach hurt as you seem sensitive to whey. I like the All-in-One, Essentials, and Performance lines. The Protein and Greens line is fine too, but I noticed that its Chocolate flavor wasn't as flavorful as the other kinds.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Orgain from Costco. I didn't see it listed above. I enjoy it. It's soy free. Gmo free. 150 cal. Even my kids like it. Lol. Worth a try.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    KimiAR wrote: »
    Orgain from Costco. I didn't see it listed above. I enjoy it. It's soy free. Gmo free. 150 cal. Even my kids like it. Lol. Worth a try.

I forgot about Orgain - I LOVE that stuff!!! I wish they made a powder form of their liquid ready made shakes. I didn't know Costco sold the powder - will get a membership tomorrow lol.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited July 2016
    I noticed that my protein powder (whole foods whey) has the same protein per 100 kcal as Fage yogurt. The protein powder has a little more fat, Fage has a little more carb (lactose), but for servings with equal calories the protein content is the same. If it's hard finding a protein powder that meets all your criteria, you might consider a different food with similar nutrition. Good luck!
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Amazon also has the Orgain powder, but Costco is cheaper. I use that one because it's easy to find and I'm allergic to milk and egg, so my choices are limited.
  • BadassBride
    BadassBride Posts: 28 Member

^^This. They also don't usually have as much protein in them, because they typically are lower caloric-ally than regular protein powders.

GMO's are not something to fear...the link of soy products to breast cancer is actually lower than most of the food we eat on a daily basis, and you'd have to eat literal TONS of soy on a daily basis, and I'd like to know how you determined it to mess with your estrogen levels? Did your MD run some sort of test for soy? What test was it? I've just never heard of such a test, and I'm in the medical field so would like to educate further, because I've certainly never heard of a test that can determine a source of hormone fluctuation.

Thanks for your input chunky_pinup! (love the name btw)

So I LOVE tofu. Sometimes I would eat it a few times a week, while drinking soymilk in place of dairy milk. When I was doing this I noticed that my PMS symptoms would be noticeably worse -- particularly my mood swings and my breasts (more swollen that usual and very sore). I talked to a few other woman who noted the same thing, so I figured it was best for me to cut back on the soy products and switch to almond milk. When I did so these problems went away.
    I did not see a doctor or have any tests done, just my personal experience.