Protein powders for women - Questions!

2»

Replies

• BadassBride
    BadassBride Posts: 28 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I want minimal ingredients in my protein powder, so am currently using Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, 24.6-Ounce Can.

Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

It has a light vanilla flavor. I put it in smoothies every day and have put it in protein fluff, oatmeal, etc.

Note: this is the Natural option. My mom got the Vanilla option and I found the vanilla to be too strong for me.

Thank you! I would actually prefer something like this -- minimal ingredients, more natural. I know it's probably impossible to find one that is 100% natural, but the closer the better.

oOooOo what is protein fluff?!?! :open_mouth:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I use Orgain vegan protein powder. There's no soy in it and you can subscribe to it on Amazon. I agree on not buying things that are marketed "for women." Protein is protein no matter the gender of the person eating it.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I like Jarrow Unflavored Whey. No taste at all except a very vague milky sweetness. Works to add protein to smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, the Fiancé puts it into cold water and drinks it, it would definitely hide in milk. There is no off taste and no empty calories, it's just powdered whey.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    I like Jarrow Unflavored Whey. No taste at all except a very vague milky sweetness. Works to add protein to smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, the Fiancé puts it into cold water and drinks it, it would definitely hide in milk. There is no off taste and no empty calories, it's just powdered whey.

Agreed with this about the vague milky sweetness/taste. Only I use Eidopro Unflavored Whey. I get it from Amazon. I used to put it in my green/fruit smoothies when I made them. I put it in tea, milk, you can bake with it.
  • joiedelamusique
    joiedelamusique Posts: 1 Member
    Try Tera's Organic Plain Whey protein. It is unflavored, unsweetened and has no funky aftertaste. I don't like stevia so this is my typical breakfast shake: 2 scoops of the whey protein, one small frozen banana (as a sweetener), 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1-2 cups unsweetened almond milk and 1/4 cup of oats. Blend in a blender and enjoy!
  • BadassBride
    BadassBride Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks so much everybody -- this is really helpful. Off to the store!

Sarah
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    My favourite is the Vanilla Bean protein powder by Tera's Whey.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Hi all,
    I've been up and down the health & weight loss road now for a couple of years but am still completely in the dark about protein powders. I would really like to incorporate it into my diet but there are just SO MANY and most of them come in giant containers. I'm kind of picky about flavor and I'm afraid to buy one and find out I can't deal with the taste. Lots of $$ down the drain..

I want something that:
    a.) tastes good (so many of them are nasty!)
    b.) lowish in calories
    c.) doesn't make me feel sick or bloated (I used to drink Muscle Milk after working out and it always made me feel like I was going to barf)
    d.) isn't bad for me

I recently purchased some Designer Protein Aria "Women's Wellness" protein powder. I bought it because it was a small container ($10), it's sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar, and 2 scoops gives you 15g of protein for only 90 calories.

I just made my first shake, and it's DELISH. The problem is that when I started reading the label more closely I realized that the first ingredient is soy protein isolate. Dammit! I generally try and avoid soy products because they mess with my estrogen levels, they're GMOs, they're linked to breast cancer, etc. I'm kinda pissed that it promotes itself as a "women's wellness" product because of this.

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions on that, and also what the differences and pros and cons are of whey, soy, egg, vegan, etc. powders. I don't really know where to start!

Thanks everyone,
    Sarah

I think this is the 3rd article from this company I've posted today, but here you go! I buy my whey from them and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like the taste you can send it back. My favorite is the cookies n creme, but the chocolate and vanilla are excellent as well. They have a banana strawberry, but I haven't tried it because that flavor doesn't interest me.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/best-protein-powders/
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Agree on muscle milk being horrible!! If budget isn't an issue, consider Orgain Shakes, pre-made, order on Amazon. A box of 12 is $30, but it's easy to store in fridge, no mess, no dishes. It's cold when you drink it and delicious. 150 calories and 25 protein. Paste this into Amazon: Orgain Protein Nutritional Protein Shake, Creamy Chocolate Fudge, 11 Ounce (Pack of 12)