Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does this means mom was correct on the subject?

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
medicalxpress.com/news/2016-07-fruit-vegetables-substantially-happiness.html

"Professor Andrew Oswald said: "Eating fruit and vegetables apparently boosts our happiness far more quickly than it improves human health. People's motivation to eat healthy food is weakened by the fact that physical-health benefits, such as protecting against cancer, accrue decades later. However, well-being improvements from increased consumption of fruit and vegetables are closer to immediate.""

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think happy people are more inclined to eat fruit and vegetables.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ummm, sex, weights and protein shakes are the keys to happiness.

And peanut butter.

And chocolate.

And ice cream.

And cute puppies.

And British children's accents.

How about a talking British puppy voiced by 11 year old Rupert Grint eating Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream?

Only if Ronnie Coleman can curl said puppy while chugging a protein shake...

I won't reference the rest of the happiness for fear of points.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Well. When my mental health is on the slide, as it often is (thanks bipolar!) I am less inclined to care about fruit and veg and more inclined to care about pizza. Because pizza makes me happier than any stick of celery ever could. (And not in a rude way).
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'll go with fruits and veg make people happy and healthy. Seems right. :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    from the article:
    The researchers concluded that people who changed from almost no fruit and veg to eight portions of fruit and veg a day would experience an increase in life satisfaction equivalent to moving from unemployment to employment. The well-being improvements occurred within 24 months.

I think this makes sense. Eating a well balanced diet will usually make a person feel better and it's hard to have a balanced diet without fruits and vegetables.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Did your mother actually tell you "eat your veggies it'll make you happy?"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think if you're eating a nutritious and balanced diet you're likely to feel pretty good...throw in some regular exercise and I'm golden. Not to mention that fruit and veg is delicious...

That said, beer makes me pretty stinkin' happy...and whiskey...and a cigar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Mine didn't. She said "eat your veggies." Maybe "eat your veggies, they are good for you."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Mine said I had to sit at the table till I ate them, which is kind of like telling I won't be happy until I eat them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My mother never told me to eat vegetables or any food. She thought I was weird for eating soup for breakfast. I'm happy eating tasty foods including vegetables.
    My mom told me to put down my books and go outside more. She told me to go to sleep. She was probably right about a lot of things.

I think a person could feel happier eating more vegetables if they physically feel better after increasing their consumption. That is pretty possible if their diet was lacking a lot of nutrients before.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Mine said I had to sit at the table till I ate them, which is kind of like telling I won't be happy until I eat them.

Yep!

"You're not leaving the table until you have finished ALL your veggies" :sad: :sad:

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Yep!

"You're not leaving the table until you have finished ALL your veggies" :sad: :sad:

. . . or those big ol' lima beans (that tasted like raw flour in plastic packages)

or corn bread (that was like eating salty sand)

or those bubbly slabs of pig fat (do I really eat kosher because the Bible says to or because I remember this?)

or mustard greens (that were always bitter and slimy)

or chitt'lin's (EWWWW! the very thought!)
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yep!

. . . or those big ol' lima beans (that tasted like raw flour in plastic packages)

or corn bread (that was like eating salty sand)

or those bubbly slabs of pig fat (do I really eat kosher because the Bible says to or because I remember this?)

or mustard greens (that were always bitter and slimy)

or chitt'lin's (EWWWW! the very thought!)

Lol lol

Chittlins?? Is that some kind of organ meat? I would have run away from home if i got a big ol plate of kidneys, liver or heart put infront of me :sick:

I am still so grateful my mum never cooked Brussel sprouts ~shudder~
  • Christine_72
    Options

Oh good god woman, that looks truly vile. What kind of parents make their kids eat this stuff!!??