Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does this means mom was correct on the subject?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Mustard greens are delicious if prepared well. Also, guess I've been lucky with corn bread, although we never had to eat it -- it was a treat.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Did your mother actually tell you "eat your veggies it'll make you happy?"

Mine said I had to sit at the table till I ate them, which is kind of like telling I won't be happy until I eat them.

Yep!

"You're not leaving the table until you have finished ALL your veggies" :sad: :sad:

. . . or those big ol' lima beans (that tasted like raw flour in plastic packages)

or corn bread (that was like eating salty sand)

or those bubbly slabs of pig fat (do I really eat kosher because the Bible says to or because I remember this?)

or mustard greens (that were always bitter and slimy)

or chitt'lin's (EWWWW! the very thought!)

Wow, I hope your mom knew some better recipes to make up for those monstrosities!

It makes me sad that the cornbread was like salty sand. Cornbread should be heavenly!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited July 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    and whiskey...and a cigar.

Both make me happy.
    Cracking open my humidors and getting a good whiff of quality cigars and Spanish cedar makes me happy and removes stress.

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Did your mother actually tell you "eat your veggies it'll make you happy?"

Mine said I had to sit at the table till I ate them, which is kind of like telling I won't be happy until I eat them.

My grandmother said this, but in Italian. Which is very strange, since she's Irish.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Corn bread: It may be just me. When I lived down South, nary a speck of sugar toughed the cornbread; up north, they make if very sweet, like cake. To the chagrin or many in my family, I've yet to taste any cornbread that I like. However, my brother sent me a recipe of cornbread made with sweet potatoes. That may work.

But it just seems like cornbread ought to have crispy, butter edges and otherwise not be so grainy or sweet.

Re the chitterlings, I think they came out of the desperation of the Depression.

No, Mother was not a good cook, except for when she made fried chicken. After I was in high school, however, she found a recipe for oatmeal bread that absolutely knocked my socks off. It was not only delicious on the day it was baked; it was still fabulous on the day afterward!

I tried mustard greens as an adult -- also collard greens -- and they were just too bitter.

I stayed very, very skinny as a girl. During school, nearly the only thing I ate were rolls and butter at school and cold cereal.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Gale, you find some weird shizzle to "debate".

Fruits and veggies don't improve my happiness. Money and desserts do.
    Amazing. @zyxst
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Gale, you find some weird shizzle to "debate".

Fruits and veggies don't improve my happiness. Money and desserts do.

LOL.

I've noticed a number of Gale's threads, and I don't mind reading them. :)

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Corn bread: It may be just me. When I lived down South, nary a speck of sugar toughed the cornbread; up north, they make if very sweet, like cake. To the chagrin or many in my family, I've yet to taste any cornbread that I like. However, my brother sent me a recipe of cornbread made with sweet potatoes. That may work.

But it just seems like cornbread ought to have crispy, butter edges and otherwise not be so grainy or sweet.

Re the chitterlings, I think they came out of the desperation of the Depression.

No, Mother was not a good cook, except for when she made fried chicken. After I was in high school, however, she found a recipe for oatmeal bread that absolutely knocked my socks off. It was not only delicious on the day it was baked; it was still fabulous on the day afterward!

I tried mustard greens as an adult -- also collard greens -- and they were just too bitter.

I stayed very, very skinny as a girl. During school, nearly the only thing I ate were rolls and butter at school and cold cereal.

People eat chitterlings (or regional versions of them) around the world and have done so for hundreds of years. They've been consumed in the US since colonial times. They aren't related to the Depression, although economic issues may have encouraged some people to try them when they otherwise wouldn't have.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Must be broken for me then.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Healthy diets lead to healthy bodies and healthy people are happier, so it makes some sense.

I've never thought of cornbread as a health food, but it sure is good. If you're making healthy cornbread, you're probably making it wrong. ;)
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ummm, sex, weights and protein shakes are the keys to happiness.

And peanut butter.

And chocolate.

And ice cream.

And cute puppies.

And British children's accents.

I completely agree with this. Apart from the protein shakes, which are like the devil's phlegm and make no one happy. I would change that one to wine (which leads to more sex and therefore more children with Brit accents...)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    Personally I certainly feel happier eating a healthy diet with loads of fruit and veg. Yeh I'd feel happy for a few seconds eating junk food, but it never lasted long and then I'd feel guilty, sluggish, unhealthy, worried about my health, no energy the list goes on. I hardly ever feel any of that anymore, have a great sense of well being and proud of myself for finally looking after my body (the way I want to)