Dieting and Exercising at least 6 days, no weight loss

Options
Hello all. Just curious as to what everyone has done to get the ball rolling on their weight loss? I have had my gym membership since Feb 2016 and have consistently worked out each week for a minimum of 5 days. However, I am not seeing any weight loss. I fluctuate between 1-2lb difference but no real loss. I will admit that prior to June I was focusing more on exercise and less on eating right, but I just spoke to a nutritionist who informed me that I should devote just as much effort into eating the right things, which I have. I am getting very discouraged and don't know what to do. Any success stories or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Replies

• empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "the right things" to eat. Food is food, calories are calories, there are no 'bad' foods. Eat at a deficit, give it WAY more than a paltry 6 days, and stay consistent.

Are you saying as long as I am eating beneath my daily alloted calories I should be fine?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "the right things" to eat. Food is food, calories are calories, there are no 'bad' foods. Eat at a deficit, give it WAY more than a paltry 6 days, and stay consistent.

Are you saying as long as I am eating beneath my daily alloted calories I should be fine?

Yup, that's pretty much it. Of course you want to ensure that you are eating a wide variety of foods that give you good nutrition to ensure you stay healthy and full of energy and feeling good, but it's not just about which foods, the quantities are critical.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    bendis2007 wrote: »

Yes. I lost my first 40 pounds without any exercise. It was all weighing my food and keeping on top of how many calories I put in my body everyday. I work out now a few days a week and I'm starting to see more definition and tone in my body.

Wonderful! Thank you and congratulations on your weight loss!!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I thought ads weren't allowed
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I thought ads weren't allowed
    report to the mods as advertising
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    90% of weight loss results from calories in calories out. The remaining 10% that comes from working out is due to burning more calories than you eat which brings you back to calories in calories out. Log everything you eat. Some will say to eat back a small portion of your exercise calories but I would just stick to a set amount everyday whether you workout or not to create a deficit.

Thank you!! Very helpful.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like Phase I of the South Beach diet to get started.

"This two-week phase is designed to eliminate cravings for foods high in sugar and refined starches to jump-start weight loss. You cut out almost all carbohydrates from your diet, including pasta, rice, bread and fruit. You can't drink fruit juice or any alcohol. You focus on eating lean protein, such as seafood, skinless poultry, lean beef and soy products. You also can eat high-fiber vegetables, low-fat dairy, and foods with healthy, unsaturated fats, including avocados, nuts and seeds."

Why is this good? Lots of people lose 10 pounds in two weeks. Of course this is mostly water weight, but wouldn't it feel great to lose 10 lbs. in two weeks? And if you have some big weekend event where you eat too much and gain 2 lbs., you are still down 8 lbs instead of back to square one. People often give up when they go back to square one.

And if you can eliminate the cravings (but not give up) for foods high in sugar, that's a great thing because these foods are often high in calorie and provide no satiety.

Just a suggestion. Good luck!

And I know the attack is coming, because essentially I am saying that 1,500 calories on Phase I of South Beach should result in more weight loss than 1,500 calories of the usual Standard American Diet for the first couple of weeks. But that's OK.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP no need to eat things you deem as only 'right things'.. If you are eating maintenance calories (which you are if you are not loosing weight) time to get the food scale.

Follow the flow chart above. It is 100% fool proof if you follow the flow chart (i.e get a food scale, etc.)
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP no need to eat things you deem as only 'right things'.. If you are eating maintenance calories (which you are if you are not loosing weight) time to get the food scale.

Follow the flow chart above. It is 100% fool proof if you follow the flow chart (i.e get a food scale, etc.)

The flow chart makes my head swim.

Compare it to the simplicity of Phase I of South Beach to get started for the first two weeks. And following the flow chart does not allow you to lose the water weight you will lose on South Beach.

I'm not saying it's a day at the beach for everyone to follow Phase I of South Beach. But if you can, it's a great start to your journey.

I don't think South Beach does calorie counting. So if you do Phase 1 AND calorie count, great!
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and be honest.
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    Get a food scale and be honest.

Try Phase I of South Beach, get a food scale and be honest. Unless you don't want to lose a lot of water weight and start your weight loss journey with a bang. Perhaps 10 lbs. in two weeks, or 2 lbs. in two weeks. Which would you prefer?

And the 10 lbs. on South Beach Phase I with calorie counting is not far-fetched. Not guaranteed, but not far-fetched.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

No not if you've only been given 1200.....1200 I'd the minimum you should have
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    wrharvill wrote: »
    My husband started going to the gym regularly in January of this year and didn't lose 1 pound in all that time. He started MFP in May and has lost over 20 pounds since then and is halfway to his goal weight as of this morning.

Wonderful! Thanks for the comment. Trying to not feel discouraged so much.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    I like Phase I of the South Beach diet to get started.

"This two-week phase is designed to eliminate cravings for foods high in sugar and refined starches to jump-start weight loss. You cut out almost all carbohydrates from your diet, including pasta, rice, bread and fruit. You can't drink fruit juice or any alcohol. You focus on eating lean protein, such as seafood, skinless poultry, lean beef and soy products. You also can eat high-fiber vegetables, low-fat dairy, and foods with healthy, unsaturated fats, including avocados, nuts and seeds."

Why is this good? Lots of people lose 10 pounds in two weeks. Of course this is mostly water weight, but wouldn't it feel great to lose 10 lbs. in two weeks? And if you have some big weekend event where you eat too much and gain 2 lbs., you are still down 8 lbs instead of back to square one. People often give up when they go back to square one.

And if you can eliminate the cravings (but not give up) for foods high in sugar, that's a great thing because these foods are often high in calorie and provide no satiety.

Just a suggestion. Good luck!

And I know the attack is coming, because essentially I am saying that 1,500 calories on Phase I of South Beach should result in more weight loss than 1,500 calories of the usual Standard American Diet for the first couple of weeks. But that's OK.

Thank you! I just got the South Beach diet info. Starting now! :smile: