Dieting and Exercising at least 6 days, no weight loss

Options

Replies

• Nimbus5000
    Nimbus5000 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Please don't become disheartened - there are still loads of tools to add to your arsenal!
    Without wanting to repeat what others have said, be sure that you are actually eating what you think you are - it doesn't take much to eat an extra 400-500 calories without realizing. This means religiously weighing all of your food intake with a digital food scale, might seem tedious at first but personally I like the sense of control it gives me.
    Chances are your exercise increases have resulted in increased muscle which can make it seem like you aren't losing weight, when in reality you have lost fat and put on muscle, making you smaller and firmer despite the scales not changing. Measure yourself with a tape measure each week and don't bother with the scales any more than every 3-4 weeks.
    Maybe also check your macro-nutrient intake. Some people find it helpful to reduce the proportion of calories coming from carbohydrates and getting these from fats and proteins instead as they make you feel fuller for longer and thus easier to get by on lower calorie intakes without sacrificing nutrition.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP no need to eat things you deem as only 'right things'.. If you are eating maintenance calories (which you are if you are not loosing weight) time to get the food scale.

Follow the flow chart above. It is 100% fool proof if you follow the flow chart (i.e get a food scale, etc.)

The flow chart makes my head swim.

Compare it to the simplicity of Phase I of South Beach to get started for the first two weeks. And following the flow chart does not allow you to lose the water weight you will lose on South Beach.

I'm not saying it's a day at the beach for everyone to follow Phase I of South Beach. But if you can, it's a great start to your journey.

I don't think South Beach does calorie counting. So if you do Phase 1 AND calorie count, great!

But what's the point of losing water weight? Water weight comes and goes based on several variables that change day to day. Fat loss is almost always the goal, and that just requires a calorie deficit. All the flow chart does is help you see where your plan is going wrong, and for most people, they either have unrealistic expectations or they aren't logging properly.

Going on a difficult short term diet causes you to lose water weight that you will most likely gain back once you stop the diet, and it doesn't teach you how to eat for the rest of your life to maintain your weight loss once you get there. I know several co-workers who continue to have to "cycle back" to phase 1 because they start to regain weight. I looked into South Beach and would be miserable eating that way, so I just counted calories while logging here, lost 15 lbs and have kept it off for 6 months so far.

I'm glad it worked for you! But I think too many people focus on quick initial results and then tend to lose motivation as the weight loss slows down. Getting right in your head with the idea of long term progress and maintenance, and playing around with your diet to find something that will work for you as a permanent way of eating, not a short term diet, is the key to success in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!
  • empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Nimbus5000 wrote: »
    Please don't become disheartened - there are still loads of tools to add to your arsenal!
    Without wanting to repeat what others have said, be sure that you are actually eating what you think you are - it doesn't take much to eat an extra 400-500 calories without realizing. This means religiously weighing all of your food intake with a digital food scale, might seem tedious at first but personally I like the sense of control it gives me.
    Chances are your exercise increases have resulted in increased muscle which can make it seem like you aren't losing weight, when in reality you have lost fat and put on muscle, making you smaller and firmer despite the scales not changing. Measure yourself with a tape measure each week and don't bother with the scales any more than every 3-4 weeks.
    Maybe also check your macro-nutrient intake. Some people find it helpful to reduce the proportion of calories coming from carbohydrates and getting these from fats and proteins instead as they make you feel fuller for longer and thus easier to get by on lower calorie intakes without sacrificing nutrition.

Great suggestions! Thank you. I did speak to my trainer and she mentioned the same thing in regards to the putting on muscle weight. Discouraging but trying to keep at it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

OP, before we go down that road can you explain what exercise you have been doing?

Recomping, as explained above, is extremely difficult to do.......when you're trying to recomp. It's even harder to recomp accidentally.

• empressjasmin
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

OP, before we go down that road can you explain what exercise you have been doing?

Recomping, as explained above, is extremely difficult to do.......when you're trying to recomp. It's even harder to recomp accidentally.

I have had a trainer design a fitness/exercise program for me. At a minimum of 5 days a week, I do cardio for 20 mins then strengthening exercises for the remainder 30-40 mins. This includes weights. Sorry if this is not helpful.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Just telling my experience and opinions here....I did low carb for the quick weight loss.
    After that water loss you will have to watch carbs and calories because if you're eating too much, like me, the weight will not come off regardless of the carb counts. The quick weight loss is almost all water weight and when you start to add more carbs back into your diet (regardless of calorie counts) that water weight will come right back on as your refill glycogen in your muscles. I feel like watching calories is way less restrictive in that you can eat absolutely anything you want...just check the calorie counts and see if it's something you're willing to spend your calories on:) I eat 1200 cals (I'm short) and 50-60% of my exercise cals:)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

If I read this correctly (the OP), the gym membership started in Februrary which is around 5 months or so working out the min of 5 days a week OP stated above. It is possible with no weight loss, hense eating a maintenance for quite a while has resulted in recomp. The muscle gaining phase of the recomp has surely tapered off by now (or slowed a great deal) resulting in only maintaining muscle at this point hense no more gainz can be made unless getting off the recomp and moving into a surplus caloric intake to grow more muscle.

OP, If recomp is not the goal, reassess the calorie in take and hopefully will buy a food scale. Weighing and logging all foods consumed will assure that the deficit is adhered to each day ruling out "eating more than you think".

There is no need to do low carb, as a matter of fact probably I would not do low carb while doing strength training. But if you are not adequate on protein, might want to ensure you get enough.

Water/glycogen is huge in weight loss and strength training. Water weight is affected by, hydration or lack there of, excess sodium in the diet, female time of the month (if female, did not look), carbs, muscle, etc.

But the true indicator of no scale weight loss to me means that there are more calories being consumed (eating maintenance) therefore derailing the deficit number each day/week and has water retention.

Measurements can be an additional indicator of true fat loss.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

If I read this correctly (the OP), the gym membership started in Februrary which is around 5 months or so working out the min of 5 days a week OP stated above. It is possible with no weight loss, hense eating a maintenance for quite a while has resulted in recomp. The muscle gaining phase of the recomp has surely tapered off by now (or slowed a great deal) resulting in only maintaining muscle at this point hense no more gainz can be made unless getting off the recomp and moving into a surplus caloric intake to grow more muscle.

OP, If recomp is not the goal, reassess the calorie in take and hopefully will buy a food scale. Weighing and logging all foods consumed will assure that the deficit is adhered to each day ruling out "eating more than you think".

There is no need to do low carb, as a matter of fact probably I would not do low carb while doing strength training. But if you are not adequate on protein, might want to ensure you get enough.

Water/glycogen is huge in weight loss and strength training. Water weight is affected by, hydration or lack there of, excess sodium in the diet, female time of the month (if female, did not look), carbs, muscle, etc.

But the true indicator of no scale weight loss to me means that there are more calories being consumed (eating maintenance) therefore derailing the deficit number each day/week and has water retention.

Possible yes, but OP did not tell us anything about what they were doing in the gym to give them a progressive overload to help maintain the muscle on top of not being sure of how much they were eating.

Possible yes, but a long shot IMHO. There were too many variables to jump to the recomp card. OP also didn't say anything (that I saw) about clothes fitting better either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    OP no need to eat things you deem as only 'right things'.. If you are eating maintenance calories (which you are if you are not loosing weight) time to get the food scale.

Follow the flow chart above. It is 100% fool proof if you follow the flow chart (i.e get a food scale, etc.)

Compare it to the simplicity of Phase I of South Beach to get started for the first two weeks. And following the flow chart does not allow you to lose the water weight you will lose on South Beach.

I'm not saying it's a day at the beach for everyone to follow Phase I of South Beach. But if you can, it's a great start to your journey.

I don't think South Beach does calorie counting. So if you do Phase 1 AND calorie count, great!

Phase 1 of the South Beach diet made my head swim. What a pain that was.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I have had a trainer design a fitness/exercise program for me. At a minimum of 5 days a week, I do cardio for 20 mins then strengthening exercises for the remainder 30-40 mins. This includes weights. Sorry if this is not helpful.

@empressjasmin re your strengthening exercises - have you been using progressively heavier weights?
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    1nwmvc7reox3.jpg

<3 flow charts!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@empressjasmin re your strengthening exercises - have you been using progressively heavier weights?

No, I have used the same weights the entire time. Should I gradually increase?
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Phase 1 of the South Beach diet made my head swim. What a pain that was.

"Phase one is designed to reset your body, and reduce cravings for sugar and refined starches. The first 14 days are lower in carbohydrates and focused on nutrient-dense foods like lean protein, healthy fats and veggies to fill you up, satisfy your appetite—and deliver rapid weight loss you can see and feel.

During the first two weeks, you’ll avoid carbohydrates like fruits, beans, legumes and starchy vegetables, and fill up on plenty of proteins, good fats, the lowest glycemic index carbs (think non-starchy veggies) to help keep you satisfied and keep your blood sugar stable."

How hard is that? This is not for life. And I like the rapid weight loss. Nothing worse than dieting for a month, losing four pounds, and then gaining it back because you had a "food and drink bender" over a weekend. It also has the benefit of stabilizing and reducing blood sugar if that is a problem.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP sorry if I missed this in the thread I keep getting distracted. Have you shared your stats:
    Height
    Weight
    Goal Weight
    Target Calories provided by MFP

Also, are you logging all your food consistently and accurately, using a food scale? Are you eating back exercise calories?

The flow chart is a great place to start to diagnose potential issues but people may have some additional helpful suggestions if you provide additional information.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Possible yes, but OP did not tell us anything about what they were doing in the gym to give them a progressive overload to help maintain the muscle on top of not being sure of how much they were eating.

Possible yes, but a long shot IMHO. There were too many variables to jump to the recomp card. OP also didn't say anything (that I saw) about clothes fitting better either.

In general terms of logic it is possible. Just because I do not have exact facts on this, does not mean it not probable or impossible.