Do you workout with your significant other?

annamc18
annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
Hello!

I was just curious how many of you awesome MFPer's workout with your partner/spouse? Do you both enjoy it, or is it a battle?

The reason I ask is because my BF has been complaining about being tired all the time, and it's understandable since he has a highly labor intensive job. He's got the beer belly thing going on though (which he complains about), and is very stiff and not very flexible anymore. He used to work out all the time before we got together and was very flexible and limber at the time. He now looks back on those days like he misses it.

SO - I asked him last night if he would like to try jogging with me in the morning. He and I both are HORRIBLE at waking up early, but I think if we did it together it'd be easier for the both of us. So, since we are on vacation next week and don't have to get up as early as we normally would - he agreed he'd try it & we also agreed to bring the dogs with us since I learned that having a dog on a leash while jogging kinda keeps your mind from focusing on the workout too much, but rather making sure there are no loose dogs running around you or your dog isn't like $hitting in someone's yard lol.

So my ultimate goal would be to see if he enjoys it, and if so - when we get back to a normal working schedule he'd be willing to continue. The only other hurdle we'd have to get over at that point would be just waking up at like 5am to do it! ...that'll be fun lol

So ya - if you workout with your spouse, how do you like it? Was it as nice as you expected? Do they keep you motivated?

Just curious :bigsmile:

Replies

• Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Always. We are our biggest supporters. Plus, I love the quality time, and I am always so proud of her for her daily accomplishments!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Do body pump, Spin and sometimes I will pop in on her zumba class to watch her dance.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Nope, we don't - we are too competitive...
    We even had to pick separate sports so we wouldn't be stupid about it. I like running, he likes cycling. We still brag to each other when we reach a personal best. But this way, we also keep each other going. He has offered to cycle along when I go for a long run (probably to keep me safe) but I think I'd be trying to run faster than I should if he did that...
    I like my alone time, both, when he's out or I am... We work in the same business together, so it's not a bad thing to spend a little time apart :wink:
    In the end, you have to find your thing, your speed, your time. And if your preference is running with a partner, go for it.
    If you both like exercising together, then it could be quite fun and motivating - there's a couple in my building who go running together, to the gym together, do yoga together, and they have the goofiest grins on their faces when they do - its quite adorable...
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    We both work out & love it but I work out at home and he gyms it at 4am before work then we snapchat each other when we are done that's about the extent of it lol.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Sometimes. I wish we would more often. The problem is that he doesn't work out with any real consistency and his ego gets in the way. His bench is his only lift he can even hit lmao1plaet!!!1!!1! which is fine (everyone has to start somewhere) but he says "free weight exercises are stupid" and does the little machine bs. I try to get him to squat and dead lift with me but I can tell he just feels like *kitten* when I have to take weight off my bar for him to lift it. He thinks it gross when people get "too big" and thinks I'm starting to "look manly." *sigh* f-ck.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    We go to the gym together, but we will go and do our own things. It works well for us.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    No...she thinks lifting will make her bulky
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    thanks for they replies everyone!

We used to go to the gym together and we enjoyed that (even though we did different things while there), but he didn't like being there with other people because they'd start telling him how to do stuff, etc. (plus he is SOOO not a people person) and that just pisses him off so we stopped going to the gym lol

I think it'll work out well, especially since we'll have the dogs with us cause I'm sure they'll be a motivation as well when they hear the alarm go off and get all excited about going out.

I think once we get into the swing of things and get up early to do it on normal week days before work it'll be nice watching the sunrise and everything. I just think it'll work out great as long as he enjoys it too. I don't want to force it on him.
  • zepol87
    zepol87 Posts: 10
    My wife and I do P90X together, we help motivate each other. I am in a little better shape than my wife so I help push her to complete the workouts. Somedays our schedules are off and we cant get a workout in together and it really doesnt feel the same and I can see afterwards that she didnt bring it. Its a great relationship tool and stress reliever for us.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Been married for 13 years and have only recently begun to workout with my wife.

I'm pretty competitive while my wife is satisfied just getting a workout in so we're not a good match. However the Y where we go just started a master's swim program. It's coached practice, targeted to individual goals and abilities. We swim together but our workouts aren't the same. It's been pretty good overall.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    I think it'll work out well, especially since we'll have the dogs with us cause I'm sure they'll be a motivation as well when they hear the alarm go off and get all excited about going out.
    My dog got my husband up at 5am today (to go play at the park). So yeah, if the dogs enjoy themselves, you're signed up for life.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Not really, except for hiking. We used to but one of us always ended up either leaving the other behind, or holding back so the other could keep up. (Which one was which depended on what we were doing.) Now I just look at workouts as alone time, something we all need now and again.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Nope, we don't - we are too competitive...
    We even had to pick separate sports so we wouldn't be stupid about it. I like running, he likes cycling. We still brag to each other when we reach a personal best. But this way, we also keep each other going. He has offered to cycle along when I go for a long run (probably to keep me safe) but I think I'd be trying to run faster than I should if he did that...
    I like my alone time, both, when he's out or I am... We work in the same business together, so it's not a bad thing to spend a little time apart :wink:
    In the end, you have to find your thing, your speed, your time. And if your preference is running with a partner, go for it.
    If you both like exercising together, then it could be quite fun and motivating - there's a couple in my building who go running together, to the gym together, do yoga together, and they have the goofiest grins on their faces when they do - its quite adorable...

Absolutely true!
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    No.

I'm not overweight (but was inching pretty close to that level) and started this healthier lifestyle think about 6 weeks ago. He has been very supportive for me. He has seen the results of me tracking and exercising over the last 6 weeks.

DH is obese. I encouraged him about 10 weeks ago to ride is bike to work, which he now does everyday. Just this past week he started eating better and tracking food. I'm hoping after he loses a few pounds he will want to start doing things with me. It's just hard for him right now because he feels like he will be holding me back because I walk and ride much faster than he does. I guess in a way he would.

We do sometimes go on leisurely bike rides together. A few times a week I will "ride" him to work (1.6 miles), then continue my training ride from there (10 miles). I also "pick" him up from work and ride home.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    I often lift with my husband. I love it bc he pushes me to do weight levels I wouldn't do on my own due to spotting me and is just very motivating. Even if we don't lift together we are 90% of the time at the gym together and he will yell across to get me going. :) I lucked out in that I have someone just as dedicated as I am. When I was sidelined with a running injury he ran all my rehab runs with me despite hating running for moral support. I too love being on my own and drowning myself in my lift sessions but sometimes I need that push and grateful to know he's there.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    My wife refuses to workout with me. Hell I'd just be happy if she'd do the 3 hours a week she agreed to.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    I was just curious how many of you awesome MFPer's workout with your partner/spouse? Do you both enjoy it, or is it a battle?
    I have worked out with my spouse in the past. And still do on occasion. However, we have different fitness goals, so the opportunities are a lot less. But it was an enjoyable experience for us. Seeing each other progress, helping each other with a spot, and keeping each other accountable, were all benefits of working out with each other.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Due to scheduling issues, my husband and I don't get to work out together very often. However, we have been known to use our date night to get some time in the gym! Lol! I usually only test my 1RM when he's around, because I know he can spot me and bail me out if I need it. Of course, I can't return the favor (he's a big guy with big lifts!), but it's still nice to have the time to lift together.

He will run with me occasionally - but he hates it. Even when we don't get to work out together, we discuss our programs, routines, how training is going, etc, constantly. He's my number one supporter and has never complained about the time I take for fitness and exercise. I definitely picked the right guy :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I did Boot Camp with my GF for a month or so and we ended up not going to the same sessions together. We got paired together for some team stuff and it was fine but I think she likes that exercise time to be hers and not have to share it with me, so I started going to the session after. It's not that we argued or anything.

I'm not sure if I could lift with her or not. I very much like to do my own thing and not have to worry about a training partner unless they're willing to do what I want to do. Yes it's selfish but I have my goals and way of doing things and that's one area I won't compromise on.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I do and I love it.

Not only is it nice to have a spotter but it's nice to have someone push me to lift more, get one more rep out etc.

The downside though is if he doesn't want to go to the gym I don't go either. We do the same workout so if I were to go without him it would screw it up for the week.