Do you workout with your significant other?

Replies

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Do I workout with my significant other? Yes. Definitely. She's super tough, having won many world championships in powerlifting. In fact, I tell my kids, "Eat your veggies so you can grow up to be big and strong...like Mama. They look at her, and they eat their veggies."

We exercise together pretty much every day. She doesn't like to sprint after squirrels with the dogs like I do, and I can't get her to get on a bicycle at all (why did I give her a $1500 road bike?) But she is my constant companion and my best friend, and the friendly jibes and banter usually only add merriment to our day. I'm always trying to beat her, and if I can I gloat for months. It doesn't happen too often though. I'm just getting to a 450 pound deadlift, and she smirks and says, "Congratulations, you're now 2/3 as strong pound-for-pound as I am." Doh! It's all friendly competition though. Well, with a few exceptions. She hit the wall when I took her on a hike up Ben Nevis (the tallest mountain in Great Britain) saying, "I'm not going any further." Whoops! But then again, she got me in a bit over my head on a surfboard in Hawaii.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    I try......It's very tough and she's extremely stubborn. I basically have to figure out what she likes and then do that. I do a ton of martial arts and she's ok with holding the pads and dealing with me. She really likes the Kali sticks.

Lifting though.....no way. I'm not sure why...........she doesnt like people watching her and she's not really into it. However, she lets me do my own thing and that's all i can ask for. I just wish I had more time to do it.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Occasionally we go for a run together but that's about it. I actually prefer it that way because I don't like working out with other people. I like to focus on my workout and work hard and other people are a distraction...either wanting to chit chat or scale back on intensity.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    My fella is the whole reason I started getting into fitness. He's an avid cyclist, runs half marathons, and likes to lift weights. To spend more (and quality) time together I started doing them too. I like that he pushes me to go faster and lift heavier. I've never been in better shape!
    Granted he has to take it down a notch or 5 when we do these things together, we often split up at the gym and do our own workouts.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Me and my SO g to the gym together sometimes. our schedules don't always jive and he isn't as dedicated as me (I go minimum 4 times a week and he is happy with just 2 maybe three times on a godo week). I try to make routines for us to do together since I have had a PT for the last 10 months and have been doing crossfit, so I have a very large reperoire of exercises. I still feel like he would rather just stick to his usual boring routine and that he doesn't really try all that hard when I am teaching him something new. I have learned to just stick to basic stuff with him though cause I do enjoy the fact that we are there together! On top of that, we have been playing volleyball together for the last 4 years. We have always been on the same team with the exception of a few women's leagues that I have joined. I know some couples have a hard time playing on the same sports team and I can totally understand why because it's so easy to knit-pick your SO...and even when you try to give contructive critisism, the other one can take it the wrong way and get frustrated or discouraged. Luckily we both have pretty easy going attitudes and this has never been a problem for us!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member
    If I had a SO, I would want to work out with him. And by that actually workout, not just weirdly watch him in the gym like some of the girls I see.

LOL mine wierdly watches me, which FREAKS the *kitten* out of the people between us, if we're not right next to each other on the machines... ahhh well, I love catching his eye while I'm running and he loves it too... though I tend to be very focused, esp when I'm getting tired... so it's usually him watching me, lol

ETA: that being said, we are both "actually" working out :) not just sitting/standing around... unless one of us finishes before the other... but that's like, 5 mins tops...
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Hubby and I go to the gym together, but we do separate things. I lift free-weights and he prefers the machines. He knows my routine and knows I struggle most on bench presses, so he will come spot me when I get to those. Works out perfectly for us!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    No, no and no. I begged, asked and she will not do it. When I used to be fat we didn't have this problem...now it is a huge dividing issue. After 9 months, I don't ask nor hint...nothing...yet ...the subject always comes up and it is awful. I don't wish it on anyone!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    We go to the gym together, but go our seperate ways. He'll walk by and check up on me a couple times. I don't mind it.

We've also decided if one of us is tired, and the other isn't, then we have to force the other to go the gym. It keeps us motivated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    All of the time...we're both doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and both training for an obstacle course run and a 10K. Next year we add triathlon into the mix.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Woops.. posted twice.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    My husband is a runner. On our first date he told me about his goal to run a half-marathon in every state. At that time he had about 9 states completed. In telling me about his goal he had expected me to either not understand or think he was completely crazy or both. My response: "I have done 4 half marathons. I have done the Mini twice (in reference to the Indy-Mini, a very large, local race), on in my hometown in Michigan, and one in Utah!"

Since that date, we have run several half-marathons together. His total state count is now up to 20, I am at 13. And when I say together, I mean we do the same race, but at our own pace (except twice - when he choose to run my slow speed with me).

For regular exercise, we typically go to the gym or running trail together, but do our own thing. Every now and then he will run my speed with me. We keep each other motivated and accountable. Because of that, we both run much more consistently now and have each seen tremendous improvement in our half-marathon times.
  • nickki688
    nickki688 Posts: 5 Member
    My SO and I work at the same place, so we take our lunch breaks at the same time and head to the gym. We do the same workout -- usually Crossfit-esque, but scale it to our respective levels. So, he will be lifting a ton more than me, but we will be working next to each other at the gym and doing the same lifts. Anyway, it's my favorite part of the day! We cheer each other on and get to be a little competitive, while still respecting the other person's abilities.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    My fiancee and I do work out together. We trained for a half marathon together, and lately have been doing P90, and now P90 master series together to prep for our wedding.

Once we get back from the honeymoon, we'll probably either switch to T25 and daily runs, or P90X. Haven't quite decided yet.

It has its ups and downs. For instance, my fiancee is very much a fan of cardio and running, where I despise cardio and running. It can cause some hackles to come up when you have someone goading you into doing something you don't enjoy on days you don't feel like it - but you do it anyways.

Likewise, I enjoy lifting, and she doesn't.

If you're both at the same fitness level, it's awesome. If you're not, it can help to have someone that they know cares cheering them on. Just ALWAYS BE POSITIVE. Never say anything negative, or it can be disasterous.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    thats awesome that so many of you enjoy working out together!

I kinda can't wait now! :bigsmile:
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    My honey is a workaholic so through the week I don't really see him. On the weekends, we have (on rare occasion) went to the gym together but we go our separate ways at the gym. We do walk, hike, and mountain bike together in the summer while camping. I wish he would workout with me more but at least he is supportive and he does his best.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Yes
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    No. He doesn't exercise, no matter how much I beg! Once in a great while I can get him to take a short walk around the block with me, that is about it :p
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 390 Member
    No. We're competitive and my husband has a list of health ailments that keep him out of the gym. The gym is my time. He has his D&D on Sundays with Satine Phoenix and I have My gym time. However, If he ever wanted to come I'd be happy to show him around but he doesn't like my pilates, kickboxing or spin classes so he can do gym stuff while I do those hahahaha.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    I would, since my boyfriend is a fitness junkie. He said he'll train me a lot harder, so now I'm afraid he's gonna kill me lol