Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it indicating being obese lowers intelligence or can lead to obesity?

Options
2»

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There is a pretty strong correlation between states with the least degrees, least high school graduates, worst drivers, and the highest percentage of morbidly obese people. Hint: Mississippi ranks number one for all of those, except least degrees (I believe West Virginia still takes that one).
    That being said, I don't think it's ever been given more than a passing glance.

This is true but I think it has more to do with the poverty level of those states. The lack of funds to buy good food, and the lack of education to make good choices with food. Not with IQ. Jamie Oliver had a show a few years ago Food Revolution and he was in a grade schools and high schools in those areas and they could not identify different fruits and vegetables or even where milk comes from.

I don't want to bite someone else's work, so I'll post a link. The poverty thing is pretty easy to discard when you realize that it's all but a non-factor outside of the US, and didn't even exist here until the last couple of decades.

Link: http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/06/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault.html

It's heavily sourced, intentionally offensive, and extremely NSFW.

Did you read this? It is a satire.

That wasn't satire. THIS is satire: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/congressional-republicans-vote-to-abolish-f-b-i

Yes I know, it was just so awful and hate filled

Hey, I warned that it was intentionally offensive. The worst part is, hate aside, it's pretty accurate.

And I liked a couple of the pics. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    There is a pretty strong correlation between states with the least degrees, least high school graduates, worst drivers, and the highest percentage of morbidly obese people. Hint: Mississippi ranks number one for all of those, except least degrees (I believe West Virginia still takes that one).

This is true but I think it has more to do with the poverty level of those states. The lack of funds to buy good food, and the lack of education to make good choices with food. Not with IQ. Jamie Oliver had a show a few years ago Food Revolution and he was in a grade schools and high schools in those areas and they could not identify different fruits and vegetables or even where milk comes from.

I don't want to bite someone else's work, so I'll post a link. The poverty thing is pretty easy to discard when you realize that it's all but a non-factor outside of the US, and didn't even exist here until the last couple of decades.

Link: http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/06/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault.html

That wasn't satire. THIS is satire: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/congressional-republicans-vote-to-abolish-f-b-i

Hey, I warned that it was intentionally offensive. The worst part is, hate aside, it's pretty accurate.

No just No

Yes, just yes.
    You'll notice a common theme here on MFP. Those who succeed in changing themselves are those who accept that they did it to themselves, and learn how to fix it. Those who remain in denial? Well, there's several thousand pages of "grararTatata why I no lose weight??1!1!" threads

And they like pics of bewbs
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

No just No

Yes, just yes.
    You'll notice a common theme here on MFP. Those who succeed in changing themselves are those who accept that they did it to themselves, and learn how to fix it. Those who remain in denial? Well, there's several thousand pages of "grararTatata why I no lose weight??1!1!" threads

And they like pics of bewbs

Well yeah, everyone likes those. :)
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Well, anecdotal I guess but of my dad and his two brothers, all were wickedly and equally smart; one obese, one average, one skinny. No differences due to fat or skinny.

How did your dad and his brothers measure their intelligence to know they were all three equal?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I did my own study. My husband is "obese" according to their chart, and the smartest person I have ever known. I was "obese" also at the time i took an IQ test (an actual test, not an internet score) and scored 128.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to go around telling people they're less intelligent, for any reason.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I did my own study. My husband is "obese" according to their chart, and the smartest person I have ever known. I was "obese" also at the time i took an IQ test (an actual test, not an internet score) and scored 128.

That's really not how science works. The thing that many people don't seem to understand is that saying that the obese population are less intelligent than the fit population is not the same as saying that individual obese people are less intelligent than individual fit people, and is definitely not the same as saying that obese people cannot be intelligent.

Your argument is like saying "Muggsy Bogues was 5'3" and an NBA player, so height really has nothing to do with how good someone is at basketball."

edit: lysdexia
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have attention deficit disorder and one of the ways it manifests for me is absolutely atrocious impulse control. I stopped taking medication to treat it when I became pregnant with my son and just never went back on them. Over the course of 3 years after my son was born I ballooned to my highest weight ever and my behavior became increasingly destructive(hiding food, hiding what I was eating, secretive about food). I feel like I should point out that I have a master's in industrial organizational psychology so I do have some basic understanding of the science behind it all. Can I blame my ADD for being fat? No. Did ADD propel my choices forward more so than they would have for someone with better impulse control? It's possible. Do I think being fat made me dumb? Not so much. I only took a single course on neuroscience, so I can't claim to know much about the neural brain differences cited in the article, but behavior and executive function differences make sense to me. Just my thoughts.
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I was the fattest kid in class, I was always in the top students' list, every single semester. I was in the dean's list. I succeeded amazingly with my A-level. Not to brag or whatsoever just stating the facts. So no, I beg to differ. It doesn't apply to everyone. Size doesn't determine intelligence :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

That's really not how science works. The thing that many people don't seem to understand is that saying that the obese population are less intelligent than the fit population is not the same as saying that individual obese people are less intelligent than individual fit people, and is definitely not the same as saying that obese people cannot be intelligent.

Your argument is like saying "Muggsy Bogues was 5'3" and an NBA player, so height really has nothing to do with how good someone is at basketball."

You missed MY point. The sample they used for their "study" is so small, it's laughable.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My husband's take on this was "imagine what you could have achieved, had you been a normal weight" - he was talking about my First Class Honours degree (I was top student in my subject having achieved my degree under difficult circumstances and was subsequently offered every job that I applied once qualified - not bragging, just being truthful :) )
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

You missed MY point. The sample they used for their "study" is so small, it's laughable.

It's not the size of the study that matters . . . okay, well maybe, to a point. You can't churn a butter study with a toothpick. Or something like that.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My career was in IT. Unfortunately the workforce has many obese programmer types, pretty smart people. Many held Masters some Doctors, still overweight.

Think there's more research needed.