Things You Don't Want to Hear

Options
2»

Replies

• onemorelardo
    onemorelardo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I called my wife from work. She's a stay at home mom. And message received. Report no more success. Gotcha.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    jaredlrice wrote: »
    And message received. Report no more success. Gotcha.

You can still share some, just not all.

I understand both sides. I'm so excited about my new journey but I watch my husband's eyes glaze over when I talk about it.

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Aw, that's sad. Don't listen to all the negative nellies that chime in. Only you know if she was really just joking around or if she was genuinely tired of hearing about it. If she's pregnant, she's likely to be emotional as well. As one poster said, maybe she's frustrated with gaining weight right now.

That doesn't mean you should stop celebrating your successes with her altogether. If you really feel like you need to make an adjustment, then just celebrate every 5 pounds (or whatever milestone you so choose).

At the very least, your plan to talk with her about it is a sound one.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, but could her remark be that while she is pregnant and gaining baby weight she is self conscious of her appearance and she takes it that you are rubbing it in? Reassure her how beautiful she looks.
    It is hurtful, but. Don't let comments stop you. Share other aspects of your journey. Talk about the walk you did or talk about the strength training ( insert what you do) . Share a fun fact that you found out about a food item.
    I'm thinking she has some stresses and hormonal issues right now. Especially if she has always been supportive before. Patience my friend. Things will turn around.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    In real life, most people really don't care about whether you lose weight or not. You'd like to think they do, but talking about successes in life to other people usually doesn't inspire them to do better than what they are doing now. In fact for many, it makes them feel bad about themselves.
    You're much better off just doing it yourself and letting them give you the compliments instead of tooting your own horn to them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This 100%

When my husband tells me about how much he's lost, I listen. But I'm really thinking about what I'll eat for dinner, what i need to buy at the store and everything else. I'm just being honest here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Don't listen to all the negative nellies that chime in.
    Or maybe look at actual context before calling people negative nellies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jaredlrice wrote: »
    I called my wife from work. She's a stay at home mom. And message received. Report no more success. Gotcha.

Rather than going from one extreme to the other, why not pick a method in the middle? Report 5 or 10 pound markers or milestone weights?

At the risk of being called a troll or mean, I'm going to point out again that you seem to be a bit obsessive about this process. In your last thread you mentioned that you started working on your weight because of a doctor's appointment in which you found out that your cholesterol was high. You'd lost 15 pounds within a month and were disappointed not to have lost more. Several people pointed out that healthy weight loss is a long term process and your replies seemed to be very terse and insistent that the cholesterol issue was the big problem because you want to be healthy for your family. And yet you continued to worry about not having lost more weight. This thread has given you some input saying that maybe you need to tone it down a bit with the updates and your reply is pretty much fine, I won't give any updates at all. Again, you seem really stressed and obsessive. Is this your first child? I'm wondering if you have some displaced stress related to it.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If she's pregnant, she's hormonal and she's probably feeling bad about her own weight game and/or how her body is changing. I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'd just let it go. You'll forget about it in a few days and it's not worth bringing up. I'm sure she's happy for your progress...