Meal replacement shake

Options
Nightmare_Queen88
Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I need help! Lol. I've been drinking a protein shake in the morning to replace breakfast, but I just learned that I may not be adding enough fat and carbs to it for it to be filling.
My shake:
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 egg whites
2 tbsp pecan chips
1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
6-7 frozen strawberries
All together it has 11g of fat and 18g of carbs. I don't really want to increase anything though. Because I'm trying to watch the amount of carbs I eat a day which is between 90-122. The amount of fat I can eat a day is 47g. So do I really need to add anything extra to my shake to boost the fat and/or carbs or is my shake fine the way it is?

Replies

• lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine the way it is as far as fat is concerned. You'll get more fat throughout the day in your other meals. But it does seem like a lot of protein.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    I think it's fine the way it is as far as fat is concerned. You'll get more fat throughout the day in your other meals. But it does seem like a lot of protein.

It's about 27-28g of protein. My protein powder itself only has 16g of protein. I was told that wasn't enough protein. So I added the egg whites. I'm not trying to bulk up really. I don't want a lot of muscle. So should I take out the egg whites?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Opinion: I would increase protein powder to 1.5 the amount. I would cut out the chips to save calories (but later have them as mid-morning snack). You could also make it with low fat milk instead of nut waters to add protein (and a bit of calcium, magnesium, vitamin d, and potassium.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, that isn't too much protein at all. And protein won't make you 'bulk', only a calorie surplus will do that. If you like everything you're putting in the shake and it's helping you stay on track with your goals then stick with it. If not then switch it up. There's no one right way to go.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I need help! Lol. I've been drinking a protein shake in the morning to replace breakfast, but I just learned that I may not be adding enough fat and carbs to it for it to be filling.
    My shake:
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 egg whites
    2 tbsp pecan chips
    1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    6-7 frozen strawberries
    All together it has 11g of fat and 18g of carbs. I don't really want to increase anything though. Because I'm trying to watch the amount of carbs I eat a day which is between 90-122. The amount of fat I can eat a day is 47g. So do I really need to add anything extra to my shake to boost the fat and/or carbs or is my shake fine the way it is?

Why are you adding egg whites and protein powder? Stop doing that. Just use the protein powder. Add half a banana or a whole banana for carbs. Banana helps keep you full too, just dont' use a very spotty banana. More yellow. I'd also cut the almond milk and just use water.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    carbs do not contribute to extended satiety. They are the fastest digesting thing we eat. Why are you choosing to be so limited on fats? They really help you feel satisfied for longer. The only thing to watch for is to make sure your foods aren't individually so high in fat as to become super calorically dense. I personally would substitute whole milk for that almond juice, possibly drop the pecans, and just have two whole hard boiled eggs on the side. I would also look at the protein powder you're using and see how much it's adding in carbs alongside that protein. The stuff I use is 30g protein per scoop. But then my calorie allotment is 2200 per day, and you don't say exactly how many calories are in that shake. Speaking of which, solid food satisfies better than liquid. The fact that it's a shake may be part of the problem you're having with it.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    It has 279 calories, 26g of protein, 18g carbs and 13g of fat. And to answer the question above I add egg whites to boost the protein because my protein powder only has 16g per scoop. Someone told me that wasn't enough and suggested I add the egg whites. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It should be fine as long as:
    1.) you enjoy it
    2.) you can fit it into your daily calorie goal
    3.) it's allowing you to hit your goals
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    beachbody.jpg

Kidding... I actually agree with Redraidergirl2009 completely.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why powder and not food? :smiley: Sometimes I feel like I should jump on the bandwagon and start protein shakes and then I remember how much protein chicken has and how much I love veggies. We're all different and I really would like to learn... so teach the lil grasshopper. :wink:

Someone explain to me the positives of protein shakes or why you prefer real food instead? I appreciate it!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Why powder and not food? :smiley: Sometimes I feel like I should jump on the bandwagon and start protein shakes and then I remember how much protein chicken has and how much I love veggies. We're all different and I really would like to learn... so teach the lil grasshopper. :wink:

Someone explain to me the positives of protein shakes or why you prefer real food instead? I appreciate it!

you do realize whey is a "real food", right?

or do you avoid things like cheese and yogurts too?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Positive: I can add 25 grams of protein to my morning coffee. I still get protein from food, it's just also convenient to boost my intake with protein powder.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Oh..wow, I so didn't mean that as an insult in any way. I was just posing it as a question to learn more. It appears I used the wrong terms.. sorry. :blush:

No I love cheese and yogurt... I've been in several of your threads lately or following your posts I should say and have learned a lot, obviously I have far more to learn. :# What protein powder do you use and do you add anything to yours @rainbowbow ?
  • Hearts_2015
    edited July 2016
    Options

Positive: I can add 25 grams of protein to my morning coffee. I still get protein from food, it's just also convenient to boost my intake with protein powder.

Thank you! Yes it is a good way to get protein in and I do lack protein each day without going over in my other macros. @janejellyroll
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Oh..wow, I so didn't mean that as an insult in any way. I was just posing it as a question to learn more. It appears I used the wrong terms.. sorry. :blush:

No I love cheese and yogurt... I've been in several of your threads lately or following your posts I should say and have learned a lot, obviously I have far more to learn. :# What protein powder do you use and do you add anything to yours @rainbowbow ?

LOL, no i was just saying. For some reason people seem to think that whey protein is just a supplement, when in fact it's a byproduct of the cheesemaking process. You can commonly see whey on top of settled greek yogurts, etc.

I personally am lactose intolerant ( :cry: ) So i can generally have whey protein isolate (like muscle milk or quest), otherwise i have to use soy protein powder.

The only reason i would recommend a protein powder is if you enjoy the taste of some shakes, tasty baked goods high in protein, or want a simply way to add more protein to your diet without a ton of extra calories.

Is it required? Or necessary? Absolutely not, but it is just normal food and has no specialness other than it's calorie/protein ratio (generally 120 for 25g protein).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would think your satiety issue has more to do with the fact that you're drinking your breakfast...I've always found solid food to be far more satiating for much longer than liquid food.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited July 2016
    Options

LOL, no i was just saying. For some reason people seem to think that whey protein is just a supplement, when in fact it's a byproduct of the cheesemaking process. You can commonly see whey on top of settled greek yogurts, etc.

I personally am lactose intolerant ( :cry: ) So i can generally have whey protein isolate (like muscle milk or quest), otherwise i have to use soy protein powder.

The only reason i would recommend a protein powder is if you enjoy the taste of some shakes, tasty baked goods high in protein, or want a simply way to add more protein to your diet without a ton of extra calories.

Is it required? Or necessary? Absolutely not, but it is just normal food and has no specialness other than it's calorie/protein ratio (generally 120 for 25g protein).

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I took it way different than you meant it. lol

I did think of it as a supplement... so it really helps that you got that out of my head. :laugh:

Appreciate your post! :smiley:
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    It should be fine as long as:
    1.) you enjoy it
    2.) you can fit it into your daily calorie goal
    3.) it's allowing you to hit your goals

Well...then I guess I'm good. :) I get so confused because so many people have different opinions about the subject and I don't know who's right and who's wrong. But I'm just going to stick with what I got because it works for me and I think that's all that matters.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would think your satiety issue has more to do with the fact that you're drinking your breakfast...I've always found solid food to be far more satiating for much longer than liquid food.

I do feel satisfied after drinking a shake. I don't know about other people but I do. :)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

People often use whey protein powder over other sources of protein for either convenience or cost efficiency. Whey protein usually has the lowest cost per gram of protein for any food out there [$0.0018/g] compared to chicken [$0.0025/g] and eggs [$0.0026/g]. It's also very low fat and shelf stable.