Meal replacement shake

Options
2»

Replies

• amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Why powder and not food? :smiley: Sometimes I feel like I should jump on the bandwagon and start protein shakes and then I remember how much protein chicken has and how much I love veggies. We're all different and I really would like to learn... so teach the lil grasshopper. :wink:

Someone explain to me the positives of protein shakes or why you prefer real food instead? I appreciate it!

My bf doesn't like food. Hoe doesn't enjoy preparing it, eating it, tasting it, any of it. If he could live of a pill, he would. So, he eats Soylent (meal replacement shakes) regularly.

Me, I love everything about food and I prefer to chew things. I incorporate protein powder when I want additional protein in my day but don't have a lot of space for additional fat or carbs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I eat a "food" breakfast on the weekends...there's nothing wrong with drinking breakfast if you get full...I like to sleep, might just be me, I dunno but I'm not getting up an extra 30-45 to make and eat breakfast during the week.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You need fibre to bulk it up, not more macros. I recommend replacing the pecan chips with ground flax seed, same ratio. You get 4x the fibre of the pecans and more omegas in the fat. (It's also still 5g of fat.) Add in some oats to help bulk it and/or a banana. PB2 is also great at adding protein and fibre without the fat, allowing you to add in your own fats (which will nine times out of ten be more balanced fats than the peanut oil.)
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    You need fibre to bulk it up, not more macros. I recommend replacing the pecan chips with ground flax seed, same ratio. You get 4x the fibre of the pecans and more omegas in the fat. (It's also still 5g of fat.) Add in some oats to help bulk it and/or a banana. PB2 is also great at adding protein and fibre without the fat, allowing you to add in your own fats (which will nine times out of ten be more balanced fats than the peanut oil.)

So I should lower my fat and increase my carbs and protein? I've tried the chocolate pb2 powder and didn't particularly like it but I'm wanting to try the regular one. What about chia seeds? Or are flax seeds better?
  • MaiLinna
    edited July 2016
    Options

So I should lower my fat and increase my carbs and protein? I've tried the chocolate pb2 powder and didn't particularly like it but I'm wanting to try the regular one. What about chia seeds? Or are flax seeds better?

No, not really. The only thing I'd suggest taking out would be the pecans because of the replacement with ground (make sure it's ground) flax seeds. Though honestly I find eggs to be disgusting so I would replace those with the PB2 because it would add the protein back in but bring fibre with it instead.

Or you could just add the PB2 (I don't really care for the chocolate one myself either.)

Chia has a nice amount of fibre as well.

If I was making a protein shake in the morning, it'd look like this:

1 scoop powder
    4 tbs PB2
    2 tbs ground flax
    1 cup chocolate soymilk
    1 frozen banana

That's 13g of fibre right there, and paired with 32g of protein I honestly wouldn't be able to drink it too quickly. I'd get full really fast and probably drink this over the course of a few hours.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    @MaiLinna Wow that actually sounds really good. I loved adding banana to my shake. It taste soooooooo good. I really need to start going back to eating what I want, within reason of course. :) I use to have my carbs and everything pretty high. It was what MFP recommended, but I felt that was too much. However I was still losing weight with that. I did just adjust my calories to 1500.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    That's what I was going to come in to suggest...replacing the egg whites with peanut butter or pb2. Maybe because the idea of raw egg whites doesn't sound so yummy to me.
    For fiber, you could always mix in some pumpkin puree or apples.
    I'm with cwolfman, though..shakes don't really do it for me, either. If I drink a shake I'm hungry in an hour! At the very least, I need something to crunch on along with it...granola, toast, or cereal or something..
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    @MaiLinna Wow that actually sounds really good. I loved adding banana to my shake. It taste soooooooo good. I really need to start going back to eating what I want, within reason of course. :) I use to have my carbs and everything pretty high. It was what MFP recommended, but I felt that was too much. However I was still losing weight with that. I did just adjust my calories to 1500.

That's awesome!!!! There's nothing wrong with carbs unless you're diabetic. A lot of people I've seen recently worry too much about their macros (and in the wrong way) and not enough about vital nutrients that the rest of the country is deficient in.

Think about it this way: you're meant to eat 25g of fibre a day. (Which, btw, I recommend you go slow on that unless you don't have a stressful job. Any time you get your fibre back up after too long of a deficiency will cause a lot of stomach discomfort. I myself did it the other week after a month of long birthday celebrations.)

Now, look at foods that are high in fibre. Originally I thought "Wow, I have to eat this every day?! What about other stuff? I can't fit my chips and cookies into my day if I have to keep cramming in the fibre!" It's even on a tv commercial for I think "Benefibre." I started eating things like Fibre One bars to try and hit the quota, but the two things that really made it easy were oats and beans.

Think to yourself - if you saw someone eating oats and beans every day, would you call them unhealthy? No, you wouldn't. Oatmeal has been touted as a hearty breakfast since we were born, and I don't know about you but I was one of the rare kids happy to eat my lima beans.

I digress. If you start off trying to meet goals that will change your diet so much that you'll be among the 4% in your entire country eating the right amount of fibre, then by George you have to be doing something right. It's the simplest change I ever made 40 lbs ago, and it made me feel good because I was working up to 25g a day instead of working down to losing weight.

That being said, there are healthy minimums for your macros. 15% fat per day is the lowest you should go. You want good, healthy fats that can help you absorb vitamins. Between 20-35% fat is the recommendation.

Americans get way too much protein in their diet. Things like kidney stones are becoming the norm. 42g is the daily rec for a sedentary adult, 52g for an active female, 62g for an active male, give or take 20g. The more kidney and liver problems in your family, the closer to the daily rec I would stay.

I still have some body shaping to do, but by simply focusing on fibre I was able to lose my first 20 pounds or so pretty effortlessly. After that I had to make sure I was moving enough. Still do. Remember, diet and exercise go hand in hand.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    That's awesome!!!! There's nothing wrong with carbs unless you're diabetic.

While carbs aren't bad for you if you're not diabetic, for someone on a calorie restricted diet who is having trouble with feeling hungry, carbs are not helpful.
    Americans get way too much protein in their diet.

No offense, but that whole notion is nothing but vegan propaganda.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

While carbs aren't bad for you if you're not diabetic, for someone on a calorie restricted diet who is having trouble with feeling hungry, carbs are not helpful.

No offense, but that whole notion is nothing but vegan propaganda.

Speak for yourself. Carbs fill me up and satisfy me. They're also the same caloric density as protein. If i had to pick between a protein shake (just whey and water) vs. say a peice of fruit, sorry to say the fruit it going to hold me over a little bit longer.

I won't even get into the fact that some of the most filling foods for satiety happen to be a starchy carb called potatoes.

And as far as "eating too much" protein, this is definitely the case for some people. For sedentary individuals you only need .8-1g of carbohydrates per KG of body weight. For athletes they need this much for each pound of lean body mass.

I know many people who eat meat meat meat all day every day (i've known 3 people personally who've gotten gout). Not saying this is true for everyone, but if you already consume meat in your diet it's pretty easy to hit your protein goal and it's not necessary to start adding on supplements like bars and shakes.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Update: I took out the egg whites and added almond butter and flax seeds. :) Brings it to 414 calories with 25g protein 29g Carbs 25g Fat and 13g fiber.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Speak for yourself. Carbs fill me up and satisfy me.

I did specify for someone limiting calories -and- having problems with feeling hungry. In general, sugars and starches digest faster than proteins and fats, so they leave your stomach faster. They also metabolize faster (assuming not diabetic) leaving less time in which to "use 'em or store em"

But yes, speaking for myself, I get hungry sooner after eating a meal that's higher in carbohydrates, and I end up craving even more carbs... and since I actually am diabetic, that's a very unfortunate thing. On the other hand, I can easily go 6 plus hours on a breakfast of eggs and sausage, and maybe a piece of fresh fruit, for a total of under 600 calories without getting overly hungry.
    And as far as "eating too much" protein, this is definitely the case for some people.

Generalizing the statement to "Americans," however, is nonsense. Just because one only "needs" 'X' amount doesn't mean that more than that is automatically too much or a bad thing. If we want to take it down to need, then we don't actually need non-fiber carbs at all as our bodies are capable of adapting to using protein and fat instead. We cannot, however, go the other way and adapt to skipping protein and fats.

For sedentary individuals you only need .8-1g of carbohydrates per KG of body weight. For athletes they need this much for each pound of lean body mass.
    but if you already consume meat in your diet it's pretty easy to hit your protein goal and it's not necessary to start adding on supplements like bars and shakes.

Again, depends on your goal. I am losing weight on a 2200 calorie per day diet. Part of that is going low (but not extremely low) carb for blood sugar control. At a target of 25%, I can usually come close to my calorie target. If I up the target to 30% it becomes very difficult. The main reason for protein bars and shakes outside of body building is mostly variety. Being low calorie, the supplements make it easier to stay in ratio within a specific calorie target.

• keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I need help! Lol. I've been drinking a protein shake in the morning to replace breakfast, but I just learned that I may not be adding enough fat and carbs to it for it to be filling.
    My shake:
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 egg whites
    2 tbsp pecan chips
    1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    6-7 frozen strawberries
    All together it has 11g of fat and 18g of carbs. I don't really want to increase anything though. Because I'm trying to watch the amount of carbs I eat a day which is between 90-122. The amount of fat I can eat a day is 47g. So do I really need to add anything extra to my shake to boost the fat and/or carbs or is my shake fine the way it is?

I'd dump the egg whites. They're not that high in protein unless you drink a lot of it. They're also disgusting. The chips too. Chips are no good. The strawberries are ok. They should be frozen in water and not any kind of syrup though. I'd find a protein powder that has only artificial sweeteners. I can personally vouch for Dymatize Nutrition ISO 100. I found it on a top ten list on bodybuilder.com. It's made with stevia which tastes pretty close to natural sugar and has zero carbs. I also add plain greek yogurt. It adds a little extra protein and makes the shake creamier.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't fill me up personally. Liquid calories are never filling to me unless eaten alongside other foods like soup before dinner. I actually use shakes when I need to BOOST my calories for the day because it's easy to bulk it up with calories with nut butters and heavy cream for that very same reason. If it's filling to you, then you are doing fine and don't need to change anything. If it's not filling, you may be like me and don't feel full on liquid calories no matter how many carbs/fat you add to it. Just work with what works for you.

I do use protein powder, but I use it by mixing it into things that are filling to me like oatmeal and other hot cereals or weetabix. I only have a straight up shake when I'm very low on protein but not necessarily hungry enough to want chewable food.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    Again, depends on your goal. I am losing weight on a 2200 calorie per day diet. Part of that is going low (but not extremely low) carb for blood sugar control. At a target of 25%, I can usually come close to my calorie target. If I up the target to 30% it becomes very difficult. The main reason for protein bars and shakes outside of body building is mostly variety. Being low calorie, the supplements make it easier to stay in ratio within a specific calorie target.

Let me rephrase this for clarity. I was falling asleep when I wrote it.

At a target of 25% protein, I can usually come close to meeting that within my calorie goal. If I up the target to 30% it becomes very difficult. I end up short on protein with no room for any other macros.