How much fat is too much fat?

Options
My macros are:
122g - Carbs
122g - Protein
47g - Fat
At 1400 calories a day but I only eat around 1200 or a little over. I want to lower my carbs to 100 and possibly even my protein. Because I'm not trying to gain a lot of muscle and from what I understand too many carbs is not a good thing. I just don't know how much I can raise my daily fat intake without going overboard. Any ideas?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can increase fat quite a bit. It doesnt make you fat. Its just really caloric. There are a lot of people on the board who are lchf with 65 to 80% of their calories from fat.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Google LCHF and you will get a lot of ideas. Avocado, bacon, olive and coconut oil, full fat products, butter (not margarine) oily fish, nuts all fats that is good for you.
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Who said carbs are bad? It's just food, it fuels the body
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I believe I read somewhere online or something. It said something like for people trying to lose weight we should only eat between 50-80g of carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I believe I read somewhere online or something. It said something like for people trying to lose weight we should only eat between 50-80g of carbs.

Its not true. Carbs are perfectly fine. Also, adequate protein supports muscle maintenance. You don't gain muscle from eating protein. When you maintain your muscle you maintain your metabolic functions and you will have a tighter body .

Also, protein has some of the highest satiety rates which means you will stay full longer and it will make it easiest to lose weight
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also, protein has some of the highest satiety rates which means you will stay full longer and it will make it easiest to lose weight

I follow LCHF myself and I agree wholeheartedly with this as on my hungrier-than-normal days, protein is my go to simply for satiety's sake.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My macros are:
    122g - Carbs
    122g - Protein
    47g - Fat
    At 1400 calories a day but I only eat around 1200 or a little over. I want to lower my carbs to 100 and possibly even my protein. Because I'm not trying to gain a lot of muscle and from what I understand too many carbs is not a good thing. I just don't know how much I can raise my daily fat intake without going overboard. Any ideas?

i do low carb high fat, and have lost 80 pounds since January. check out dietdoctor.com
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it yet, though I suspect it would be around the time I hit 81% fat, 19% protein.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    On

I lost 125lbs and had lots of carbs along the way. Lowering refined carbs is a great way to cut cals, but no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. :)
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Also, please tell me you are eating back your exercise cals. 1200 is really low!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Inuit people are the same humans as we, and have for thousands of years and until quite recently been quite healthy on a diet of almost exclusively fat.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My macros are:
    122g - Carbs
    122g - Protein
    47g - Fat

Eating more protein isn't going to cause you to magically put on muscle, especially not in a deficit.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I know that the diet/exercise industry has fed us the idea that women can accidentally "bulk up." We can't. Not even guys with the hormonal advantage of more testosterone can accidentally bulk up.

So if that's your main reason for lowering your protein intake, I wouldn't worry about it. But healthy fats are delicious.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Well I changed my macros to 105g Carbs 105g Protein and like 60g (I believe) Fat.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Also, please tell me you are eating back your exercise cals. 1200 is really low!

I haven't been but from what I'm hearing, I should. So I'm definitely going to start. :) Does it matter what I eat? And should I eat only half back of my calories lost?
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    I know that the diet/exercise industry has fed us the idea that women can accidentally "bulk up." We can't. Not even guys with the hormonal advantage of more testosterone can accidentally bulk up.

So if that's your main reason for lowering your protein intake, I wouldn't worry about it. But healthy fats are delicious.

I know I probably sound so naive. I'm new to this. But I'm learning. I'll keep my protein at, at least, 105g. I may increase it if that feels like too little. I'm use to 122g but usually don't reach that except for maybe occasionally.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    On

I lost 125lbs and had lots of carbs along the way. Lowering refined carbs is a great way to cut cals, but no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. :)

I'm not going to lower my carbs anymore than 105g which is what I have it at right now. But I guess that means I need to cut bread and sweet potatoes out of my diet. :(
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Nope, you do not need to cut bread or sweet potatoes out of your diet - just eat smaller portions of them.

I also agree with the posters above you - protein is great for satiety - I consume prolly 150+ grams a day and I am never hungry (in fact, I sometimes find that I have to force myself to eat more food because I'm not even close to my daily calorie goals). As for fat, there really is no upper limit as long as you stay within your calories for the day.
  • CoachJen71
    edited July 2016
    Options

I haven't been but from what I'm hearing, I should. So I'm definitely going to start. :) Does it matter what I eat? And should I eat only half back of my calories lost?

Eat fewer calories than you burn, and over time you will lose weight. In theory, you could eat all your cals in a single sitting from a stack of doughnuts, but it would probably not satisfy your hunger all day, and would definitely have you under-consuming some macros and micros while going over on others. So in that sense, yes what you eat matters.

It does not mean giving up all carbs. Just eat smaller portions of them. Personally, I choose to eat potatoes/Rice/pasta rarely because they take up a lot of cals that I would rather use for my evening sweets. My every day dinners are basically meat and lots of veg, although sometimes I have an egg sandwich or peanut butter English muffin. You'll just have to tinker with your food plan until you find something that both works and is something you can live with. :)

Editing to say regarding calories eaten back, you can do 50% if you are just logging exercise on your own. If you have an activity tracker like a Fitbit, eat all or most of them back.