Whole eggs vs egg whites

Options
The million dollar question right? I wanted to try and get some input on what is actually the right way to go. You hear about needing the fat from the yolk and on the flip side I hear that the egg white has so many less cals/fat calories etc. I went into subway and grabbed a black forest ham, cheese and egg white flatbread and it got me thinking. I suppose just like anything it depends on what your plan is right? Everyones feedback would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks and fitness on baby!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you meet fat goals at the end of the day? The reason I tend to eat low fat is that I have acid reflux. But I still try to include some fat with every meal. There are so many health benefits.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The "right way to go" depends on your calorie and macro needs. If I have the room for the fat and calories I prefer whole eggs. When I need a protein punch I eat egg whites either alone or with some whole eggs.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Eggs, even with the yolk, are not that calorie heavy. Add to that the fact they are quite filling, and either way works. If you need extra protein, adding some extra egg whites won't hurt, but then I would purchase egg whites alone rather than waste the yolk from an egg.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. Just the whites don't satisfy me. I had that same sandwich yesterday and got the yellow egg.
  • nickkreitzer
    nickkreitzer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, everyone had some awesome points and thoughts on how you all go about it. Thanks a lot for the feedback :) .
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Depends on what else I'm planning on eating/have eaten that day, if I'm low on fat I'll keep the yolk, if I'd rather save the calories for something else I'll just use the whites.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also eat both. I love a good egg white omelet with goat cheese and spinach. But I also love a couple whole eggs fried, boiled, and poached every now and then too. Both have their benefits. I have been just having whole eggs lately. At our local Sam's club it's .98 for an 18 pack, that's hard to beat.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yeah, add me in the "both" camp too. I often make an omelette with a whole egg and some carton egg whites together.
  • nickkreitzer
    nickkreitzer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info rosecropper, your spot on with that info. All of the input is appreciated. Thank you to everyone for responding. It has been a tramendous help :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I *love* a good runny egg yolk....amazing!

But cooked through yolks are nasty.....so i only eat the whites then
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I mainly use egg whites in my protein shakes and use the whole egg if I'm cooking w/them. Recording the nutrients on MFP keeps the cals & macros in check.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also do both. I really like my eggs cooked over easy. I will eat them scrambled but not my preference. So usually I make 1-2 whole eggs and then I either add the egg whites to it and cook it together or I'll cook them separately. I can only eat so many whole eggs but can add extra whites to get my protein. I love eggs. Eat them every day!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    There is no right way to go. Eat the way that tastes good to you, but allows you to achieve your goals. Yes, I prefer whole eggs but I also prefer high volume, and I also like to eat bacon and avocado. When I'm getting all of my fat from a whole egg, I can't have bacon and avocado, a dessert later in the day, etc. This is why I choose egg whites.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I always do one whole egg mixed with 3-4 egg whites. Best of both worlds.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you don't have runny egg yolk on the plate, what do you dip your bacon in???

But seriously, I would eat eggs how you like them and can fit it into your calories and macros. I eat two whole eggs every morning pretty much. The studies on the health benefits or dangers of whole eggs are all over the map, but I think the current thinking is that two whole eggs a day is fine. The "experts" change their minds regularly so who knows.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    If you don't have runny egg yolk on the plate, what do you dip your bacon in???

Reminds me how much I love my soft boiled and poached eggs, particularly eggs benedict w/hollandaise. The hollandise reeks havoc with any diet but it's SO delicious. ;)