Running race and eating timing help

Options
girlinahat
girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Not sure there's a good answer to this apart from 'it's up to you' but...

I'm running in a 7.5k off road race tomorrow. The race starts at 10.

Usually when I run, I run fasted. I get up at 6 and run, then don't eat breakfast apart from a milkshake/smoothie until 10.30am. My normal run is about 4miles, so my race isn't particularly long.

Do I:

A) eat some muesli with yoghurt and cottage cheese (my usual breakfast) before I leave for the race/when I get up(around 7.30)

B ) have a smoothie (milk, yoghurt, raspberries, chocolate milk powder) before I leave

C) have nothing and run to the cakes at the end

????

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would eat my normal breakfast at about 7 but no later than 7:30. (I normally run fasted too but I have breakfast before races; more breakfast for longer races!)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat before a race if you don't usually eat before a run. If you had brought it up a few weeks ago, I might have suggested trying a run with breakfast in your stomach.

Personally, I do fine with a Clif bar just before a run, but I need a good 4 hours after a couple of eggs with bacon. After 6 years, I'm still finding new things that will not work with my running. I try not to find these things out on race days.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally for a short race mid morning I'd be comfortable with some muesli and fruit at 0730, but not any later than that. It depends on what your own experience is and whether you'll be comfortable with anything later than that.

For a longer race I'd be ok with 90 minutes before the gun.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'd rather run empty, my main concern is that since I normally eat around 10.30, I'll get hungry during the race.

Think I'll go with the muesli at 7ish idea. That way I won't suddenly get hungry during the race, but also won't feel too heavy.

And enjoy the cake after too. Or a bacon butty. Maybe bacon. Yes, bacon....
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    quote="girlinahat;37120005"]Thanks all.

I'd rather run empty, my main concern is that since I normally eat around 10.30, I'll get hungry during the race.

Think I'll go with the muesli at 7ish idea. That way I won't suddenly get hungry during the race, but also won't feel too heavy.

And enjoy the cake after too. Or a bacon butty. Maybe bacon. Yes, bacon....[/quote]

So, how did it go?[
  • girlinahat
    Options
    The course was a bit annoying as there were bottlenecks, and I was slower than I'd have liked, but then it was horribly hot and humid. I had to walk a couple of times to get my heart rate back down.

BUT I placed just below the middle of the pack, both overall and in my age/gender bracket. Not bad for a first race!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    The course was a bit annoying as there were bottlenecks, and I was slower than I'd have liked, but then it was horribly hot and humid. I had to walk a couple of times to get my heart rate back down.

BUT I placed just below the middle of the pack, both overall and in my age/gender bracket. Not bad for a first race!!

I'll assume you resolved your eating issue? Middle of the pack is my usual goal. On occasion I'll place in my age/gender group.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    I ate at around 7, but next time I think I'll eat less.