three week average calorie deficit > 750 and no weight loss

Options

Replies

• mahutga4
    mahutga4 Posts: 19
    Options
    I really don't know why this calculator isn't standard on this site: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Thanks for this; I tried it. myfitnesspal's estimate of calories burned is actually lower than this calculator, but only by 30 calories or so.
  • mahutga4
    Options
    I agree, watch your salt intake. I didnt lose for a month and then lowered my salt intake and boom! the weight started coming off.

****, my sodium is high about every week. Can y'all see my diary now?
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you ask me, it looks like you are overestimating your calories burned. It also looks like you are loaded in carbs and sodium and not enough protein. You should start tracking those 3.

Good luck
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary just for today and if that's all you have consumed my question is where is all the protein? I'm hoping you're not done for the day.

Also, watch processed foods - they have a ton of salt. Avoid them as much as possible. All processed lunch meats have a ton of salt.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Do you have your Fitbit linked to this site? If so, how do you have your calorie goal set on MFP?
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your exercise calorie totals. I see one day that says you earned 2300 calories from exercise. That would be a whole lot of exercise. I read an article that said a 160 pound person would burn around 2800 calories when running a MARATHON. Be careful to not overestimate workouts or underestimate food calories. It takes some trial and error to find out what works for you. For my husband eating 2000 calories a day has him losing about 2 pounds a week. He works in maintenance so he is on his feet all day and doing physical work, so he doesn't really do any other exercise. Good luck to you.
  • mahutga4
    Options
    If you ask me, it looks like you are overestimating your calories burned. It also looks like you are loaded in carbs and sodium and not enough protein. You should start tracking those 3.

Good luck

My calories burned come directly from fitbit; I don't enter them in manually at all. I was walking some 13 mile days while in Europe. Do you still think that they could be overestimated?
  • mahutga4
    Options
    Do you have your Fitbit linked to this site? If so, how do you have your calorie goal set on MFP?

I do have it set; my calories burned sync over from fitbit. I have my calorie goal set at "kinda hard" (750 a day) and am under that, on average.
  • mahutga4
    Options
    How are you getting your exercise calorie totals. I see one day that says you earned 2300 calories from exercise. That would be a whole lot of exercise. I read an article that said a 160 pound person would burn around 2800 calories when running a MARATHON. Be careful to not overestimate workouts or underestimate food calories. It takes some trial and error to find out what works for you. For my husband eating 2000 calories a day has him losing about 2 pounds a week. He works in maintenance so he is on his feet all day and doing physical work, so he doesn't really do any other exercise. Good luck to you.

My calories burned come directly from fitbit; I don't enter them in manually at all. I walked a lot in Europe; even logged some 10+ mile days. Do you think that they could be overestimated?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I do have it set; my calories burned sync over from fitbit. I have my calorie goal set at "kinda hard" (750 a day) and am under that, on average.

Just so I understand, you need roughly 3800 calories a day to sustain your current weight?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

You have it set to "kinda hard" on the Fitbit dashboard which means nothing to MFP. How do you have your goal set up here on MFP? Like when you first signed up here, what calorie goal were you given and what information gave you that number?
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Good luck

My calories burned come directly from fitbit; I don't enter them in manually at all. I was walking some 13 mile days while in Europe. Do you still think that they could be overestimated?

I really think you are overestimating the calories burned. You should invest in a Heart rate monitor to get a more accurate reading.

Also, you need to tighten up your diet. Less beer, cheese burgers and fries and more lean protein and veggies.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Good luck

I really think you are overestimating the calories burned. You should invest in a Heart rate monitor to get a more accurate reading.

Also, you need to tighten up your diet. Less beer, cheese burgers and fries and more lean protein and veggies.

If anything, Fitbit UNDERestimates calories burned.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well, from my personal experience, with my bob the builder husband who thinks his construction background qualifies him to measure food with his eyes alone, I found that he didn't know *kitten* about measuring food. maybe he can eye measure a piece of wood, or a length of wire, but when it comes to food, I found that his 1 serving of cereal, was actually about 3. maybe check your measuring / portions?
  • mahutga4
    Options

You have it set to "kinda hard" on the Fitbit dashboard which means nothing to MFP. How do you have your goal set up here on MFP? Like when you first signed up here, what calorie goal were you given and what information gave you that number?

Thanks. I have it set for 1.5 pounds per week (this is the same as "kinda hard" on fitbit), and it gives me a 1700 net calorie goal based on that.
  • mahutga4
    Options
    well, from my personal experience, with my bob the builder husband who thinks his construction background qualifies him to measure food with his eyes alone, I found that he didn't know *kitten* about measuring food. maybe he can eye measure a piece of wood, or a length of wire, but when it comes to food, I found that his 1 serving of cereal, was actually about 3. maybe check your measuring / portions?

I'm starting to think this could be it. I'll admit it was pretty hard to do this in Europe...

PS. You look great!
  • mahutga4
    Options

Just so I understand, you need roughly 3800 calories a day to sustain your current weight?

I dont' think so. My TDEE is 2526 (base on this http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) and myfitnesspal estimates that I burn 2449 calories a day, without fitbit corrections.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Thanks. I have it set for 1.5 pounds per week (this is the same as "kinda hard" on fitbit), and it gives me a 1700 net calorie goal based on that.

Then you should be eating your adjusted calories. MFP already gave you a deficit; you're making it bigger (and that doesn't mean better) by not eating your Fitbit adjusted calories. However, I do agree that you should get a food scale and start measuring your food because estimating is a recipe for disaster and will have you eating more than you think.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I dont' think so. My TDEE is 2526 (base on this http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) and myfitnesspal estimates that I burn 2449 calories a day, without fitbit corrections.

Right, so you need 2526 or 2449 depending on what calculator you use to sustain your current weight. In order to LOSE weight you need to subtract a % from that. For example lets use the MFP number 2449. To lose weight you would take 2449 - (let's say 20) 20% for a daily total intake of 1959. Basically you are eating 1000 calories over and not 750 under like you want.
  • mahutga4
    Options

Then you should be eating your adjusted calories. MFP already gave you a deficit; you're making it bigger (and that doesn't mean better) by not eating your Fitbit adjusted calories. However, I do agree that you should get a food scale and start measuring your food because estimating is a recipe for disaster and will have you eating more than you think.

Eek. that sounds so extreme. But, if that's what it takes I guess I could. I just ate a slice of red pepper, about a quarter inch thick and three inches across (but hollow in the middle). Would I need to weight something like that? I'd figure I could eat about 10 whole red peppers, not account for them at all, and still be fine. No?