three week average calorie deficit > 750 and no weight loss

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well, from my personal experience, with my bob the builder husband who thinks his construction background qualifies him to measure food with his eyes alone, I found that he didn't know *kitten* about measuring food. maybe he can eye measure a piece of wood, or a length of wire, but when it comes to food, I found that his 1 serving of cereal, was actually about 3. maybe check your measuring / portions?

I'm starting to think this could be it. I'll admit it was pretty hard to do this in Europe...

PS. You look great!

thanks! seriously, almost a year into this, i still measure EVERYTHING! i even measure my low sugar 5 calorie per tablespoon ketchup! it all adds up! an underestimate here, and an underestimate there, can rack up quite a bit of additional calories over a week! my mom will pour a glass of wine and mark it as 4 ounces, until i weigh it out, and see that its almost 8 ounces! that's a huge chunk of calories not being accounted for!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Do you have your Fitbit linked to this site? If so, how do you have your calorie goal set on MFP?

I do have it set; my calories burned sync over from fitbit. I have my calorie goal set at "kinda hard" (750 a day) and am under that, on average.

You have it set to "kinda hard" on the Fitbit dashboard which means nothing to MFP. How do you have your goal set up here on MFP? Like when you first signed up here, what calorie goal were you given and what information gave you that number?

Thanks. I have it set for 1.5 pounds per week (this is the same as "kinda hard" on fitbit), and it gives me a 1700 net calorie goal based on that.

Then you should be eating your adjusted calories. MFP already gave you a deficit; you're making it bigger (and that doesn't mean better) by not eating your Fitbit adjusted calories. However, I do agree that you should get a food scale and start measuring your food because estimating is a recipe for disaster and will have you eating more than you think.

Eek. that sounds so extreme. But, if that's what it takes I guess I could. I just ate a slice of red pepper, about a quarter inch thick and three inches across (but hollow in the middle). Would I need to weight something like that? I'd figure I could eat about 10 whole red peppers, not account for them at all, and still be fine. No?

If it's a red bell pepper:

1 Medium Pepper (119g)
    24 Calories

So eating 10 would be 240 calories. You need to log everything.

I would suggest picking up a scale. You can find kitchen scales at walmart (by cutting boards, knives, ect) for $20. The one I have was $20 and weighs in grams, ounces, pounds, and kg.
  • mahutga4
    mahutga4 Posts: 19
    Options
    Do you have your Fitbit linked to this site? If so, how do you have your calorie goal set on MFP?

I do have it set; my calories burned sync over from fitbit. I have my calorie goal set at "kinda hard" (750 a day) and am under that, on average.

Just so I understand, you need roughly 3800 calories a day to sustain your current weight?

I dont' think so. My TDEE is 2526 (base on this http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) and myfitnesspal estimates that I burn 2449 calories a day, without fitbit corrections.

Right, so you need 2526 or 2449 depending on what calculator you use to sustain your current weight. In order to LOSE weight you need to subtract a % from that. For example lets use the MFP number 2449. To lose weight you would take 2449 - (let's say 20) 20% for a daily total intake of 1959. Basically you are eating 1000 calories over and not 750 under like you want.

You are right that if I were eating 2526/2449 calories a day that I would maintain that, or gain weight if 750/1000 over that. But that's not the case here (see my diary). My "calorie goals" change from day to day because of fitbit adjustments. These "calorie goals" are set by myfitnesspal to allow me to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, and are "net" calories (calories consumed - calories burned). My "net" calories are well below my calorie goals, on average.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Just so I understand, you need roughly 3800 calories a day to sustain your current weight?

I dont' think so. My TDEE is 2526 (base on this http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) and myfitnesspal estimates that I burn 2449 calories a day, without fitbit corrections.

Right, so you need 2526 or 2449 depending on what calculator you use to sustain your current weight. In order to LOSE weight you need to subtract a % from that. For example lets use the MFP number 2449. To lose weight you would take 2449 - (let's say 20) 20% for a daily total intake of 1959. Basically you are eating 1000 calories over and not 750 under like you want.

His fitbit adjusts his calorie goal here based on his daily activity and since he's been walking all over Paris for the last week he has huge burns which is why his goal is 4000 some days. It's never the same day by day (unless you're doing the same exact things). When he gets back to regular life his calorie adjustments won't be that big and his goal won't be that high.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

You are right that if I were eating 2526/2449 calories a day that I would maintain that, or gain weight if 750/1000 over that. But that's not the case here (see my diary). My "calorie goals" change from day to day because of fitbit adjustments. These "calorie goals" are set by myfitnesspal to allow me to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, and are "net" calories (calories consumed - calories burned). My "net" calories are well below my calorie goals, on average.

I can only offer advice based on what I see in your diary and I did go back into June taking into account you were in Europe. Most days I looked at you were over your goal as MFP has it. Perhaps your goal is different per your FitBit, I can't see that. I have no other advice so at this point I will wish you luck with your weight loss.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I am exercising, but only moderating. I've gone over 10000 steps virtually every day. Sometimes twice that.

and for 10,000 steps, how many calories are you logging?
  • mahutga4
    Options
    I am exercising, but only moderating. I've gone over 10000 steps virtually every day. Sometimes twice that.

and for 10,000 steps, how many calories are you logging?

I don't log any calories, fitbit does this for me. So, for example, I only walked 7615 steps yesterday because I was flying. Fitbit estimates I burned 3,746 calories all day. Myfitness pal estimates 2449. The difference (1297) shows up as a "fitbit calorie adjustment" on my diary. This adds to my normal 1700 calorie goal, leaving me with a total of 2997 calories to consume to achieve my target of a 750 weekly calorie deficit for that day. this sound complicated but I'm a math geek so it makes perfect sense.
  • mahutga4
    Options
    I can only offer advice based on what I see in your diary and I did go back into June taking into account you were in Europe. Most days I looked at you were over your goal as MFP has it. Perhaps your goal is different per your FitBit, I can't see that. I have no other advice so at this point I will wish you luck with your weight loss.
    [/quote]

Thanks Mreeves. It's just not true I was over my goal for "most" days, but certainly for some. Still, I was *way* under for others. the MFP app on my phone shows me weekly averages of these, and I always come in at 1500 net calories a day (my goal is 1700).

Does anyone think it's detrimental to go over some days and under others, as long as it balances in the long-term?

It could also be water retention from the flying (does that happen to anyone else?), but maybe I'm just being hopeful ;o).

oops, I'm wrong. One week I averaged exactly 1700 net calories a day. The other two I averaged 1500 net calories.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree...it appears that you consume an awful lot of processed foods, which would be high in sodium. If you monitor that more closely, I would think you should start seeing some positive changes, especially if you include exercise.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try for a week or two to go based solely on what MFP says...you know, instead of using your fitbit...??? Keep your calories within their range and actually log your added exercises(not just steps taken in the store and whatnot)...go for a walk, jog, bike ride, etc, and use those to calculate your approx added calories for the day. Many people have had success doing that on this site. I know I have poor food choices, lots of carbs and sodium like you, but I try to keep within range as to what MFP is telling me, and I am starting to see the weight come off...not too quickly, but I am also lifting so I like to think I am adding as well! Best of luck!!
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Now that Europe is done, I suggest cutting a few things. First, try to stay away from pre-made foods. Loads of sodium, and other harmful chemicals that can hurt you. Second, cut the alcohol. It's not doing you any favors. Sure, you could have one here or there, but make it a treat of sorts???

Like Fridays are great, wind down from the work week kind of days. Sodium does seem to be your biggest enemy though (judging by your journal). Also, make sure you are drinking loads of water. I drink about a gallon a day. Of course, I love water and rarely drink anything else. (Soda once in a while and tea).

Good luck!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm fairly new. I started using this with fitbit about three weeks ago. I'm trying the "kinda hard" setting (750 cal deficit), and have been averaging an even larger deficit for three weeks. I just weighed myself and I've gone nowhere.

What could cause this? Am I failing to input calories correctly (I try to overestimate when eating out and things like that)? Is there something wrong with my metabolism (recently had my thyroid checked and it was fine)? Could fitbit be overestimating my burned calories? Any other folks with similar experience?

I'm pretty overweight and so thought it would be easy to shed it now...

Thanks,

You are going nowhere because your sodium is through the roof. A lot of people on here may say that sodium does not matter, but it really does. Try and cut your sodium to at least 2500 mg, up your protein intake, its too low and that will keep you full longer. You could try plain 2% Fage greek yogurt, add frozen banana, strawberries and mango with 2 tbs of almond butter and even 1 cup of milk - that's a high protein breakfast, or even a lunch with a tuna sandwich. Your dinners need changing up, experiment a bit more with food - have a cup of brown rice, mixed vegetables, baked chicken/fish/meat and even a small salad to start. Eat more fruits, either as suggested above or fresh fruits - pineapple or water melon - keep those in the fruit as your go fruits if you are feeling slightly hungry.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Suggest you just stick with using MFP and FitBit synced positive and negative the way it was intended, and discount the vacation time with inability to log food correctly.

You have a much better tool in the FitBit for estimating TDEE than trying to pick from 5 levels, or 4 levels on MFP and logging all exercise separately.

But now start logging everything you eat correctly, by weight if possible for 2 weeks to see how bad other estimates are.

If the adjustments to your daily calories are too great on non-exercise days, then your MFP activity level needs to go up so you can plan better.
    Planning and preparation are needed.

Take average non-exercise TDEE that FitBit reports divided by the BMR that MFP uses under Apps - BMR tool.
    That is your activity factor.
    Pick the MFP activity level in your Settings - Diet/Fitness profile that has the closest matching factor.
    1.25 - Sedentary
    1.35 - Lightly Active
    1.45 - Active
    1.55 - Very Active

Keep your 1.5 lb goal loss for now. Switch to 1 lb with 20 to go, 0.5 lb at 10 to go.

Confirm positive/negative syncs enabled.

Log any exercise the FitBit is NOT good at estimating, non-step based stuff, like lifting weights, or spin bike or cycling speeds.

Take the adjustments and meet your goals, accurately.

And watch the sodium. Of course, you can only retain so much water from eating higher sodium. And it's not like it changes how your body burns fuel for energy. It may merely mask weight loss for a short time. Or cause fluctuations before weight loss is seen.
    But guess what, you weigh at 2 separate points in time with retained water from higher sodium levels - you would still lose weight if eating in a deficit.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    unless you have an underlying health condition, sodium is not that big of concern. sure, if you are consuming way too much, you will hold on to some water / bloat weight. sodium does not cause fat gain, or hinder fat loss. i have lost all my weight eating premade diet meals, and usually have a sodium intake of over 2500 daily. other than water retention / bloat... sodium does not add fat nor stop loss of fat. i don't think sodium is your priority here. i think you need to measure your food better, and make sure your calculations (intake / output) are correct.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just want to add my voice to those who have said to get a food scale. At the very least, measure your food with measuring cups, but the scale is way better.

Some of my experiences when I first got my food scale:
    I did a comparison for oatmeal. The box says 1 serving = 1/4 cup = 43g. So I measured out 43g with my scale and it didn't come close to filling the 1/4 cup measure. So I filled my measuring cup to the top (level) and weighed; 67g. Per MFP database, 43g of rolled oats is 165 calories but 67g is 257 calories. Maybe you are beginning to see the problem.

So I checked it out with some cheddar cheese. The package said 1 serving = about a 1inch cube = 28g. So I cut what I thought was about a 1 inch cube and weighed it - it was nearly 3 times as much by weight.

I pulled out some tortilla chips. 1 serving = 13 chips = 30g. But when I weigh 13 chips, it's closer to 45g.

If that's happening with everything you eat, you could absorb a 750 calorie deficit in no time.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising as well? Eating too few calories can put your body in to 'starvation mode' and it will hold on to everything it's got.

My advice? Make sure you're at 1200-1400 calories depending on you rcurrent weight/height/gender, up your exercise intensity a little and make sure to stay hydrated.

Good luck!

Starvation mode, if it even exists, doesn't occur that quickly.
    I would worry about starving yourself and losing too much muscle in the process.
  • AmiAlcocer
    AmiAlcocer Posts: 18
    Options
    Just want to add my voice to those who have said to get a food scale. At the very least, measure your food with measuring cups, but the scale is way better.

Some of my experiences when I first got my food scale:
    I did a comparison for oatmeal. The box says 1 serving = 1/4 cup = 43g. So I measured out 43g with my scale and it didn't come close to filling the 1/4 cup measure. So I filled my measuring cup to the top (level) and weighed; 67g. Per MFP database, 43g of rolled oats is 165 calories but 67g is 257 calories. Maybe you are beginning to see the problem.

So I checked it out with some cheddar cheese. The package said 1 serving = about a 1inch cube = 28g. So I cut what I thought was about a 1 inch cube and weighed it - it was nearly 3 times as much by weight.

I pulled out some tortilla chips. 1 serving = 13 chips = 30g. But when I weigh 13 chips, it's closer to 45g.

If that's happening with everything you eat, you could absorb a 750 calorie deficit in no time.

Yes, this, omg this!!! When I started using my scale, the weight loss became almost effortless. Volume measurements just don't cut it, from what I have experienced it. Also, it's so easy to mess with volume measurements (say, jiggling that cup of oats so it settles and adding more), that I don't really use them except for liquid measurements.
  • purpleiris82
    purpleiris82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I looked at a bunch of your food diary entries. It looks like you hardly ever eat fruits and veggies, you need to eat more. You also really need to cut down on the alcohol and the sodium. Do you drink water? You haven't logged any, so I don't know. Maybe you need to drink more. Good luck.
  • mahutga4
    Options
    Hi all. I just wanted to follow up because so many people gave such helpful suggestions. I think I've discovered a few things.

First, I do think part of the problem was related to returning from vacation--I retain water when flying, and was weighing myself during what would have been lunch time in the place my body adjusted to, rather than the am weigh-ins I was doing before I left. The very next day I was three pounds lighter. However, I also think that I was under-estimating my calories and over-estimating my calories burned. I purchased a food scale. While the guesstimates I was making before I left are consistent with what the scale says, I'm sure all bets were off on vacation--who knows how many calories were in that cheese/French bread/beef burgundy I was served at various restaurants.

Probably the most important change, though, is on the calories burned side. Heybales pointed out that the estimates of calories burned are only as accurate as the BMR that MFP/FB assigns to me based on my height and weight. And, the BMRs that get used assume normal (i.e. healthy) body fat percentages. When one has above average body fat (which I do), their BMR is lower than what MFP/FB assigns him/her. He offers a nice excel file here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

What it does is allow you to enter in your body fat percentage (either by measuring it as the excel file instructs, or by simply entering it if you already know), and then adjust your height downward so that fitbit's BMR accounts for your higher body fat. I made this change yesterday and can already tell that the calories it tells me I'm burning are *much* lower than before. Thanks, heybales!

Cheers,

Mahutga4
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just wanted to follow up because so many people gave such helpful suggestions. I think I've discovered a few things.

First, I do think part of the problem was related to returning from vacation--I retain water when flying, and was weighing myself during what would have been lunch time in the place my body adjusted to, rather than the am weigh-ins I was doing before I left. The very next day I was three pounds lighter. However, I also think that I was under-estimating my calories and over-estimating my calories burned. I purchased a food scale. While the guesstimates I was making before I left are consistent with what the scale says, I'm sure all bets were off on vacation--who knows how many calories were in that cheese/French bread/beef burgundy I was served at various restaurants.

Probably the most important change, though, is on the calories burned side. Heybales pointed out that the estimates of calories burned are only as accurate as the BMR that MFP/FB assigns to me based on my height and weight. And, the BMRs that get used assume normal (i.e. healthy) body fat percentages. When one has above average body fat (which I do), their BMR is lower than what MFP/FB assigns him/her. He offers a nice excel file here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

What it does is allow you to enter in your body fat percentage (either by measuring it as the excel file instructs, or by simply entering it if you already know), and then adjust your height downward so that fitbit's BMR accounts for your higher body fat. I made this change yesterday and can already tell that the calories it tells me I'm burning are *much* lower than before. Thanks, heybales!

Cheers,

Mahutga4

Those 2 changes together, both sides of the equation you might say being made more accurate, will help out immensely.

Love the post above how far off several items were they ate. It'll be interesting to hear your report of common items you used to measure real well, and how the weight method is different.

Shoot, even protein powder with their own scoop, mine is actually under, I was missing out on protein I thought I was getting.