Halo Top iced cream

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I had chocolate halo top with 10g of peanut butter the other night. Loved it! But I was annoyed because my boyfriend kept stealing huge bites from me. Get away from my diet ice cream, dude!! I saved my calories for this!

LMAO. Right? I'd be like, can you go eat your Ben and Jerry's in hell please? Thanks.

Hahaha that is very close to how the conversation went actually.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    In for Halo! I don't like chocolate ice cream but a friend suprised me with a pint - it was so good. got to let it melt just a little.
    Strawberry is my favorite "regular" and theirs does not disappoint.

I don't eat the entire pint, i like to savor - Have Lemon Cake (tried it, it was ok) and Birthday Cake (love cake ice cream, haven't tried it yet) in my freezer.

Found it at Randalls. Not sure what "expensive" is for ice cream. I'm from the land of BlueBell where a half gallon can be over $6.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For those of you saying that _________ flavor is awesome/great/wonderful... have you ever had real ice cream?

Yes and I actually can't stand most ice cream. A lot of it is too thick and rich for my liking, especially sweet cream ice cream. I can smell that every time I walk past Coldstone Creamery and I want to vomit. I've always been a Greek frozen yogurt person and once in a while regular frozen yogurt. If I can have an entire pint of a frozen dessert that I actually enjoy for 150 to 300 calories and add in other things to boot while getting in more fiber and protein, I'll take it. This is like the bacon vs turkey bacon debate; some people honestly do not care either way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2016
    Alright, I had a big 'eat the whole pint' ice cream craving so I bought the birthday cake flavor. Tried really hard to find that aftertaste I got when I tried the vanilla flavor the second time... couldn't find it. It was very satisfying for the calories (it took probably 25 minutes between the time it got out of the freezer at the store and I ate it, and the consistency was great).

I'm starting to wonder if that second pint of vanilla was a fluke? Because the first one was great too, but the second tasted very artificial to me... but the birthday cake one was totally fine again. Weird.

I should probably add that typically those containers don't have 4 servings though but just a bit over 3. I sure wish they came in more flavors though. I should try the mocha chocolate chip next time.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    I was so excited to find out they sold the Halo Top at my local grocery store, then when I got there I saw it had stevia in it so left it in the cooler at the store.... so disappointed, Stevia always leaves a bad taste in my mouth :(
    They did have another type of frozen dessert right next to it that was only 150 calories a pint - anyone ever try it?? It was called "Artic Zero" (I didn't buy that either, but thinking about it)
    y0bji058ick1.jpg
    https://www.arcticzero.com/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Alright, I had a big 'eat the whole pint' ice cream craving so I bought the birthday cake flavor. Tried really hard to find that aftertaste I got when I tried the vanilla flavor the second time... couldn't find it. It was very satisfying for the calories (it took probably 25 minutes between the time it got out of the freezer at the store and I ate it, and the consistency was great).

I'm starting to wonder if that second pint of vanilla was a fluke? Because the first one was great too, but the second tasted very artificial to me... but the birthday cake one was totally fine again. Weird.

I should probably add that typically those containers don't have 4 servings though but just a bit over 3. I sure wish they came in more flavors though. I should try the mocha chocolate chip next time.

I don't know. I don't notice an aftertaste per se with the vanilla. The texture is way different though. Like it's kind of...chunky. It doesn't bother me but the Birthday Cake is creamier.
  • arditarose
    Wolfena wrote: »
    I was so excited to find out they sold the Halo Top at my local grocery store, then when I got there I saw it had stevia in it so left it in the cooler at the store.... so disappointed, Stevia always leaves a bad taste in my mouth :(
    They did have another type of frozen dessert right next to it that was only 150 calories a pint - anyone ever try it?? It was called "Artic Zero" (I didn't buy that either, but thinking about it)
    y0bji058ick1.jpg

Yes. It tastes like 35 calories. A lot of people don't like it. I personally eat it all the time because I want to eat a lot of food. I usually add a sweetener, or some powdered peanut butter or protein powder. Sometimes I'll crush up an oreo or two. I've done berries as well.
  • Maxematics
    edited July 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yes, I've been noticing by gram weight that I'm not getting as much as I should be in my Halo Top containers. Sometimes when I open it up it even looks 75% full. They said on Reddit that they were having a rough patch for a bit keeping up with demand, so maybe that explains some of the issues with quality.

I'm jealous you have mocha near you. My Whole Foods has never stocked any other flavors beyond chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, lemon cake, and birthday cake. They didn't even start stocking the birthday cake until a few weeks ago.

ETA: I agree with Arctic Zero being more of a base for add ins, though they have 300 calorie chunky pints. I've tasted a few and the winner hands down is their Brownie Blast flavor. It needs nothing extra and if you're a chocolate person, you will most likely love it. If you see Wink Frozen Desserts anywhere, avoid it at all costs. The first ingredient listed should be imagination.
  • arditarose
    Yeah what's up with the amount of ice cream in the container? Even when you pick up a pint you can feel that it's not really full.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    I alternate between the halo top and AZ depending on which I find. It's fabulous eating a whole pint of ice cream and feel like you're eating something decadent, without adding a load of empty calories, heavenly.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    I tried birthday cake last week and it was so sweet I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to eat it again. When I went grocery shopping yesterday they did have mint chocolate chip though, and that tasted just as good as the regular version to me.

If only they would make cookie dough...
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Wolfena wrote: »
    y0bji058ick1.jpg

I don't like the taste of Stevia or any type of alternative/artificial sweeteners either, but I seriously can't taste it in either AZ or Halo Top. Give them a try at least to see if can taste anything. Warning that AZ is more like ice milk. I don't mind it, but a lot people hate it.
  • nnwojnar
    nnwojnar Posts: 6 Member
    The lemon cake and chocolate mocha are my favorites! Lemon cake tastes like a lemon shaved ice, chocolate mocha tastes like a frozen coffee treat. I eat Halo Top all of the time if I am craving ice cream (regular ice cream makes me sick). One serving is definitely enough to fill me up/satisfy my craving. I will sometimes have chocolate cookie thins in the house and I will crumble those on top of the chocolate mocha - it is amazing! Also a scoop of the chocolate mocha in a whey protein smoothie with a banana is delicious as well.

I have tried AZ cookie dough, and honestly, I prefer Halo Top. It doesn't taste as artificial as AZ in my opinion.

They carry Halo Top at Wegmans, if any of you have one in your area.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    nnwojnar wrote: »
    The lemon cake and chocolate mocha are my favorites! Lemon cake tastes like a lemon shaved ice, chocolate mocha tastes like a frozen coffee treat. I eat Halo Top all of the time if I am craving ice cream (regular ice cream makes me sick). One serving is definitely enough to fill me up/satisfy my craving. I will sometimes have chocolate cookie thins in the house and I will crumble those on top of the chocolate mocha - it is amazing! Also a scoop of the chocolate mocha in a whey protein smoothie with a banana is delicious as well.

I have tried AZ cookie dough, and honestly, I prefer Halo Top. It doesn't taste as artificial as AZ in my opinion.

They carry Halo Top at Wegmans, if any of you have one in your area.

Yeah I got it at Wegmans. It was cheaper than Whole Foods and they actually had some in stock (WF never does).
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    I'm going to have to try this! I was telling my roommate yesterday how badly I've been craving an ice cream sundae...
  • Maxematics
    Yeah what's up with the amount of ice cream in the container? Even when you pick up a pint you can feel that it's not really full.

Halo Top Chocolate was my snack this afternoon. Right when I opened it to soften up, this is what it looked like.

kbd9bvb2unr7.jpg

By gram weight, I had 260 grams rather than the 284 grams it's supposed to contain. 220 calories for the pint instead of 240.
  • arditarose
    Maxematics wrote: »

Halo Top Chocolate was my snack this afternoon. Right when I opened it to soften up, this is what it looked like.

kbd9bvb2unr7.jpg

By gram weight, I had 260 grams rather than the 284 grams it's supposed to contain. 220 calories for the pint instead of 240.

20 cal difference. I think it's just the way the stuff melts. That's like a spoonful.
  • Maxematics

kbd9bvb2unr7.jpg

20 cal difference. I think it's just the way the stuff melts. That's like a spoonful.

Yeah, it's not too bad at all. It looks weird, but by gram weight it checks out. However, I'm pretty sure the maximum allowable amount the gram weight can be off for a container of something where the total gram weight is in the upper 200s is 14.5g. That would mean that by USDA Regulations Halo Top could be fined, especially since it's under the listed weight instead of over. However, I noticed Halo Top has a listing for mL on the lid, but not the servings, so maybe they adhere to the guidelines for volume.
  • Maxematics

kbd9bvb2unr7.jpg

$0.23 cents per gram as opposed to $0.21. Halo Top is ripping us off. Still love it.

$0.23 per gram? Lol. That would make a pint of Halo Top $65.32. Most of us love Halo Top, but I would hope nobody loves it that much.

Anyway, I don't mind the slight shortage of gram weight. I was simply addressing the actual weight difference in comparison to the 75% full look/feel of the product. They do have to adhere to regulations, but it illustrates the production issues they claimed to be having which could also explain why some people got a pint that tasted off once but fine the next.