Question for the men!! Women lifting.

Options
2»

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Okay, I always see people going back and forth about females lifting weights or using the machines with weights. A lot of women say they are scared to walk twards the weights because they are afraid that the big guys will look at them like idiots.
    I want to hear from guys themselves, what do you think about women using weights? I don't mean bodybuilding women either. I see so many women with amazing bodies vs women who do just cardio. Personally I think women should use alittle weight to help shape their bodies. It's hot :)

I totally respect them. In fact, I admire them.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym I spent a lot of time worrying about what people were thinking, when in reality they weren't thinking about me at all. I never heard anyone make any comments - I was imagining they were but they weren't.

I love seeing anyone who goes into the gym with a plan and shows some discipline with a training program, even if they don't know what I consider to be "gym etiquette." Everybody has something to learn; don't assume they know what you know. If they're creating an unsafe environment, talk to the gym staff. If they're just inconveniencing or annoying you, find a tactful way to address the situation or stop complaining about it!

And yes, lifting is necessary. So hit those weights, ladies; you rock.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I was/still am not comfortable using weights around the men folk at my gym. So I take my weights into the spin room or to the back of the gym. I find I get such a better workout without feeling I am being leered at.
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    I've been wondering about this a lot myself lately. I feel like I've hit peak with the cardio equipment and weight pulley machines, they are really good for support though and show you what and how to use them. Not that I've maxed out on weight or anything, just I think you'd get more range and a better overall workout with the free weights.

So going into the free weight area, how does anyone know where to start if they've lifted like that before?
    I use small weights and dumbbells at home sometimes too, but I think it's different?
    I'm wondering if this would be a situation where you'd buy a PT session or two or if you should just research and try it on your own?
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    If they've "never" lifted like that before
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I was/still am not comfortable using weights around the men folk at my gym. So I take my weights into the spin room or to the back of the gym. I find I get such a better workout without feeling I am being leered at.

Ok I'm going to pick on you lol Mostly because you're beautiful, and I can see how the guys might be distracted.

I personally try not to check out the women at the gym, because it's not a night club. I'm not thinking about women at the gym, I'm acctually go there to get work done, and I don't want to make the women there uncomfortable either. I am really enthusiastic about women getting in the weight section and doing some serious lifting, so I do what I can to avoid discouraging that.

What I would say though, is that it has a lot to do with what you're wearing too. I've seen some women go to the gym, who were gorgeous, and who wore those cut-off sweat pants with a normal shirt. They still look "cute" (I know that's important for a lot of women who workout, and there's no shame in that), but I've noticed guys just notice and move on, they don't leer so much.

On the other hand I've seen girls come in with those short tight shorts, and hey they look great and I really understand them for cardio, but in the weight lifting section it just get distracting, and you're going to get guys checking you out more.

So if you want to lift, and you want to avoid catching the guys's eyes, try wearing sweats or wearing workout pants (whatever suits you), oh, and try wearing a baseball cap. This helps too, makes you look more serious and focused.

And try not to get angry at us lol. If you come to the gym looking especially sexy, we're going to notice. Not our fault! lol