What is your take on Ketosis

Options
I've read a few articles about the idea of Ketosis dieting; where you lower your carbs as low as 20g and as high as 50g/day. I've recently changed my diet and my exercise routine and I've really am working on keeping my protein high but my fats and carbs low (also with sugar but because I like fruit, it appears higher). I know that a lot of people have lost weight due to having a low-carb diet and if their intake is less than 50g/day, they are to lose weight faster than someone who is between 50-100g (from an article I read, about 2.2% faster).

My husband doesn't like the idea because your body does need carbs in order to function properly and I'm on the fence with it.

What is your take on the Ketosis diet? Have you tried it and if so what were/are your results? What did you do, based on diet, to have the desired carb amount yet still be able to eat well?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    couldn't pay me enough to do it....well maybe you could but not something I am keen on.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You are omitting lots of rich sources of nutrition like fruit and whole grains. Just practice portion control for weight loss.

If you decide to go the keto route remember that you must do it forever or the weight will come right back.
  • harvi1
    harvi1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins since Aug 2015- which is basically a ketosis diet in the first few months. It works - lost 4 stone and not felt hungry/deprived once. Long term maintenance does not need to be ketogenic, just gradually reintroduce carbs. I would say you need to cut the sugar(including fruit) and increase the fat - as that is the whole point. If you're not adapting your body to burn fat for energy, you're not going to burn the body fat!
  • mparker87
    mparker87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I first heard about the keto diet a few months ago. At first I wanted to try it, but I love carbs too much. If you search #keto on instagram, you will see a ton of posts. My husband is diabetic and we need to watch our carbs. So sometimes I search keto recipes for ideas. We love replacing potatoes in our diet with cauliflower and radishes. We also liked the chicken strips breaded with pork rinds instead of flour. There's no way I could do a keto diet long term though.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be in ketosis to burn fat. And ketosis doesn't guarantee fat loss. Plenty of ketoers bulk on the diet as well as cut. It all comes down to calories in vs calories out. You may want to look in to if it fits your macros. Again, not necessary, but it will give you a starting point for your macrosnutrients based on your calorie goal. I aim for my protein first and then fill in the rest of my calories/macros with whatever I want within my calorie range. For the most part I do eat whole foods, but I am not afraid of eating pizza, beer, chips, fries etc when my calories allow for it. I did keto for a long time due to being on an elimination diet for allergy purposes. I lose weight at pretty much the same pace on either plan, but I can have sweet potatoes, beer, pasta, fruit, rice, and tortilla chips following just a standard calorie deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not for me - but if it works for someone else then good for them!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I've recently changed my diet and my exercise routine and I've really am working on keeping my protein high but my fats and carbs low (also with sugar but because I like fruit, it appears higher).

Then keto isn't for you. Have to go fairly low protein for keto because your body can make carbs from protein.

If you have a medical problem with carbs (like diabetes for example), keto can be helpful. If you don't, it's very restrictive, causes bad breath, and hurts athletic performance.

And fruits and berries are good in so many ways. I don't trust any diet that forces you to severely limit them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I used it pre comp for cutting up (12-16 weeks) only. And every person I've met who's doing keto has bad breath. IMO, great for short term loss, has been shown NOT to help build significant muscle mass while on that diet only, and with such strong restrictions on carbs, I'd never enjoy myself at family parties. Some things are way more important than some vanity pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I used it pre comp for cutting up (12-16 weeks) only. And every person I've met who's doing keto has bad breath. IMO, great for short term loss, has been shown NOT to help build significant muscle mass while on that diet only, and with such strong restrictions on carbs, I'd never enjoy myself at family parties. Some things are way more important than some vanity pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Stubborn vanity pounds are what I'm targeting. From what I've read in my brief research is that athletes and fitness people need carbs to refill the glycogen stores regularly. Normally people who are fitness training are already insulin sensitive so there is no need for keto. It is very helpful for those of us who have gotten insulin resistant over time or who are prediabetic or diabetic. There is a community of people in that scenario. Keto isn't for everyone but is very useful for some.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Bad breath

And you only lose a little faster initially as you dump water and glycogen...over the long haul it's not any different than anything else.

I loved every thing about Keto, except for (in my husbands words) poo breath, it was bad enough that i had to stop :(

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ^^^^ Yes keto is Low Carb-High Fat. OP it's not a good idea to reduce carbs AND fats.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Also something interesting about the keto breath - I don't seem to have had it and I don't know why. I am pretty careful about my breath because my teeth are not in the best shape and bad teeth = bad breath, at least for me. I have super stinky pits and feet though, which has never happened to me before, and freaked me out at first. I'm told this is a thing that passes. I hope so. For the moment I'm just taking more showers and wearing only cotton socks because PHEW!