What is your take on Ketosis

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    Also something interesting about the keto breath - I don't seem to have had it and I don't know why. I am pretty careful about my breath because my teeth are not in the best shape and bad teeth = bad breath, at least for me. I have super stinky pits and feet though, which has never happened to me before, and freaked me out at first. I'm told this is a thing that passes. I hope so. For the moment I'm just taking more showers and wearing only cotton socks because PHEW!

I stuck with it for 4mths, and unfortunately it never got better for me. For some people it does eventually go away though.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The breath and protein could have had something to do with it, as i did struggle to keep my protein on the lower side. I'll go back and have a look when i get a minute.

I went and had a look at 2 weeks worth of logging, and there was one day where i was at 96g of protein, there rest were around 130ish.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The breath and protein could have had something to do with it, as i did struggle to keep my protein on the lower side. I'll go back and have a look when i get a minute.

I went and had a look at 2 weeks worth of logging, and there was one day where i was at 96g of protein, there rest were around 130ish.

You're higher than I am. I'm usually near 80 or below. But who knows. You might just have drawn the short straw for bad LCHF breath. ;)
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been doing intermittent fasting 18/6 for two years now and I'm about three pounds to goal. Anyway from the things I've read about IF it gets you to a keto state everyday regardless of the carbs you eat. Or in my case drink because I love beer. This might be even worse than bad breath though, IF makes me fart a lot. It's kinda bad, but they really don't stink, so my family just shrugs it off. I've read jokes in the forum about intermittent fasting meaning intermittent farting so I guess it normal. Embarrassing but normal lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I used it pre comp for cutting up (12-16 weeks) only. And every person I've met who's doing keto has bad breath. IMO, great for short term loss, has been shown NOT to help build significant muscle mass while on that diet only, and with such strong restrictions on carbs, I'd never enjoy myself at family parties. Some things are way more important than some vanity pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Stubborn vanity pounds are what I'm targeting. From what I've read in my brief research is that athletes and fitness people need carbs to refill the glycogen stores regularly. Normally people who are fitness training are already insulin sensitive so there is no need for keto. It is very helpful for those of us who have gotten insulin resistant over time or who are prediabetic or diabetic. There is a community of people in that scenario. Keto isn't for everyone but is very useful for some.
    If there are those with conditions (diabetes, etc.) then keto may be their ticket, but if people are just doing it to temporarily till they lose enough weight, then they'll likely be in for a surprise when they decide to allow carbs back into their diet.
    I remember contest days where I weighed so much and body percentage was down to single digits, then the celebratory after contest meal (usually foods we've restricted for several weeks) and gaining 12-15lbs in a couple of days. Replenishing that glycogen and water made weight regain easy.
    Point is, just losing those few vanity pounds isn't usually going to make you look any better in most cases unless you're down to body fat percentages showing decent definition. Can't tell you how many times people who weigh more than they expected, have ended up looking better at that weight because of good training.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

You're higher than I am. I'm usually near 80 or below. But who knows. You might just have drawn the short straw for bad LCHF breath. ;)

I have such a terrible time with protein! Fat is super easy, but protein, I don't know if it's because it's so filling or what, but I have to work at it to even hit 60 a day. The goal of 140 (35%) seems like an impossible dream most days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

I have such a terrible time with protein! Fat is super easy, but protein, I don't know if it's because it's so filling or what, but I have to work at it to even hit 60 a day. The goal of 140 (35%) seems like an impossible dream most days.
    Well if it helps, I hit 50 grams with just one shake (double scoop) and it's only 6 grams of carbs (I drink it with just water).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Well if it helps, I hit 50 grams with just one shake (double scoop) and it's only 6 grams of carbs (I drink it with just water).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I haven't tried the shakes. They all seem to be super expensive and I don't know what's in them. I ought to look into it, thanks!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I used it pre comp for cutting up (12-16 weeks) only. And every person I've met who's doing keto has bad breath. IMO, great for short term loss, has been shown NOT to help build significant muscle mass while on that diet only, and with such strong restrictions on carbs, I'd never enjoy myself at family parties. Some things are way more important than some vanity pounds.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Stubborn vanity pounds are what I'm targeting. From what I've read in my brief research is that athletes and fitness people need carbs to refill the glycogen stores regularly. Normally people who are fitness training are already insulin sensitive so there is no need for keto. It is very helpful for those of us who have gotten insulin resistant over time or who are prediabetic or diabetic. There is a community of people in that scenario. Keto isn't for everyone but is very useful for some.
    If there are those with conditions (diabetes, etc.) then keto may be their ticket, but if people are just doing it to temporarily till they lose enough weight, then they'll likely be in for a surprise when they decide to allow carbs back into their diet.
    I remember contest days where I weighed so much and body percentage was down to single digits, then the celebratory after contest meal (usually foods we've restricted for several weeks) and gaining 12-15lbs in a couple of days. Replenishing that glycogen and water made weight regain easy.
    Point is, just losing those few vanity pounds isn't usually going to make you look any better in most cases unless you're down to body fat percentages showing decent definition.Can't tell you how many times people who weigh more than they expected, have ended up looking better at that weight because of good training

That's why I'm exploring recomp. It just makes a lot of sense to me to get more dense with muscles and lose inches to look better. I don't want to get a lot smaller and just want to tweak my appearance to flatten the belly to lose an inch or so and show the muscles that are already there underneath. Conversely, I don't want to bulk up or thicken anywhere either as I'm not interested in increasing muscle size. I just want to bring in and tighten up what I have.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't like the idea because your body does need carbs in order to function properly and I'm on the fence with it.

What is your take on the Ketosis diet? Have you tried it and if so what were/are your results? What did you do, based on diet, to have the desired carb amount yet still be able to eat well?

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients. Your body can make the small amount of glucose you need without any difficulty.

I've been doing ketosis for the last 14 months or so. My macros are something around 5% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat. It is a high fat diet with moderate protein. Some people have success doing it with high protein but they tend to be a minority.

My take? It has been life changing for me. Both my health and happiness have improved. With such a positive quality of life change, I can't ever imagine going back to a higher carb, or even moderate carb, diet.

The most obvious change was the drop in appetite and carb/sugar cravings. Those are almost gone. I had reactive hypoglycemia before changing my diet so I was shaking and light headed if I did not eat at least every two hours. Now? I can skip eating for a day if I want and my blood glucose stays steady. No shakes or weakness. I'm not reliant on carbs for fuel so it really frees me up from having to manage that.

I also became prediabetic a couple of years ago. I was not obese and weight loss does not help me manage my insulin resistance. I lost 20% of my body weight and am in the middle of a normal BMI now but I need to eat LCHF in order to avoid BG fluctuations.

Other benefits included better hair and skin, fewer autoimmune issues, fewer headaches and better cognition. That last one was a shocker but after about a month or so of ketosis my thinking became noticably clearer. I was only 41 so I wasn't expecting that one. Bowel movements are also easier and smaller, I have less gas, and my breath has actually improved - a bit fruity even. Bad breath is really not a common side effect of ketosis, although it is less rare in those folks who are doing it with higher protein.

My only downside is the food restrictions. You have to think a bit more about the foods you will be eating and sometimes plan ahead. That one was not a big one for me since I have celiac disease and can't safely have many other people cook for me anyways. I really do enjoy LCHF foods though so it hasn't been a hardship at all. Cheese, meats,veggies, nuts, and coconut are my staples. All yummy.

Sweets and baked goods aren't worth the negative effects on my well being.

so not true...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705?pg=2
    http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Carbohydrates_UCM_461832_Article.jsp#.V49yGfkrLRY

and for those with diabetes
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/diabetes/diabetes_education/patient_education_material/no_more_carb_confusion.pdf
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    My husband doesn't like the idea because your body does need carbs in order to function properly and I'm on the fence with it.

What is your take on the Ketosis diet? Have you tried it and if so what were/are your results? What did you do, based on diet, to have the desired carb amount yet still be able to eat well?

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients. Your body can make the small amount of glucose you need without any difficulty.

I've been doing ketosis for the last 14 months or so. My macros are something around 5% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat. It is a high fat diet with moderate protein. Some people have success doing it with high protein but they tend to be a minority.

My take? It has been life changing for me. Both my health and happiness have improved. With such a positive quality of life change, I can't ever imagine going back to a higher carb, or even moderate carb, diet.

The most obvious change was the drop in appetite and carb/sugar cravings. Those are almost gone. I had reactive hypoglycemia before changing my diet so I was shaking and light headed if I did not eat at least every two hours. Now? I can skip eating for a day if I want and my blood glucose stays steady. No shakes or weakness. I'm not reliant on carbs for fuel so it really frees me up from having to manage that.

I also became prediabetic a couple of years ago. I was not obese and weight loss does not help me manage my insulin resistance. I lost 20% of my body weight and am in the middle of a normal BMI now but I need to eat LCHF in order to avoid BG fluctuations.

Other benefits included better hair and skin, fewer autoimmune issues, fewer headaches and better cognition. That last one was a shocker but after about a month or so of ketosis my thinking became noticably clearer. I was only 41 so I wasn't expecting that one. Bowel movements are also easier and smaller, I have less gas, and my breath has actually improved - a bit fruity even. Bad breath is really not a common side effect of ketosis, although it is less rare in those folks who are doing it with higher protein.

My only downside is the food restrictions. You have to think a bit more about the foods you will be eating and sometimes plan ahead. That one was not a big one for me since I have celiac disease and can't safely have many other people cook for me anyways. I really do enjoy LCHF foods though so it hasn't been a hardship at all. Cheese, meats,veggies, nuts, and coconut are my staples. All yummy.

so not true...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705?pg=2
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Carbohydrates_UCM_461832_Article.jsp#.V49yGfkrLRY

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/diabetes/diabetes_education/patient_education_material/no_more_carb_confusion.pdf

It is true in theory. Undeniably, it is healthier to include low carb veggies and fiber rich fruits for vitamins, enzymes, phytonutrients, etc for nutritional balance.

But technically your body can convert protein to produce glucose for fuel. And it can use fat for fuel which is why it banks fat for times where food can't be found. Part of the problem is that we have readily available food provided all of the time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

so not true...

It is true in theory. Undeniably, it is healthier to include low carb veggies and fiber rich fruits for vitamins, enzymes, phytonutrients, etc for nutritional balance.

But technically your body can convert protein to produce glucose for fuel. And it can use fat for fuel which is why it banks fat for times where food can't be found. Part of the problem is that we have readily available food provided all of the time.

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients.
    You could flip it around and say that carbs are so essential that we have mechanisms to convert fat and protein into carbs - glucose....

Personally I would find ketosis, or low carb in general, extremely and horribly restrictive and therefore impossible to adhere to.
    I like carbs and I thrive on them. They are also the most satiating macro to me.

For those that research it thoroughly and/or have a medical need I would agree it's a valid choice for some.
    I do dislike the fashion element and feel those people that blunder into it without knowing what they are doing are doomed to fail long term.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    The thing about the keto threads that pop up every ten minutes is that almost everyone is "just starting", then you never hear from them again. Pretty much speaks for itself, this way of eating is not maintainable for the majority of people.

Or they join the LCD group.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

so not true...

Protein breaks down to gylcogen not glucose.

and Glucose is a more efficient brain fuel.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20081212/no-carb-diets-may-impair-memory?page=1
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

so not true...

Protein breaks down to gylcogen not glucose.]/b]

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20081212/no-carb-diets-may-impair-memory?page=1

I went back and checked. Protein does break down into glucose. Glucose is condensed into glycogen.

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/gluconeogenesis.php
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    The thing about the keto threads that pop up every ten minutes is that almost everyone is "just starting", then you never hear from them again. Pretty much speaks for itself, this way of eating is not maintainable for the majority of people.

Or they join the LCD group.

Pretty much this.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

so not true...

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients.
    You could flip it around and say that carbs are so essential that we have mechanisms to convert fat and protein into carbs - glucose....

Personally I would find ketosis, or low carb in general, extremely and horribly restrictive and therefore impossible to adhere to.
    I like carbs and I thrive on them. They are also the most satiating macro to me.

For those that research it thoroughly and/or have a medical need I would agree it's a valid choice for some.
    I do dislike the fashion element and feel those people that blunder into it without knowing what they are doing are doomed to fail long term.

That's true, but the same could be said of any dietary modification. If one is here seeking weight loss, it's clear that their current dietary default is a problem. Therefore, no matter what they go on, if they slip and fall back into their default eating, they will fail.