Orange Theory pros & cons

Options
2»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I went to one free class. If you like a group setting where others are working (relatively) hard, then it's probably a good class. For me personally, wasn't for me. I think a lot depends on if you (like others have said) need someone pushing you in order to workout hard. Also, you might like the idea of really seeing (in real time) how hard you're working.

There's studies out that you will have significant progress if you monitor something (like HR/effort). However, if you monitor AND report, you will have much more significant results. This is universally true. So, basically, what OTF has figured out is that if people have their individual efforts up on a big board, some people will work harder. It truly shows you who's working and who's dogging it.

For me, the "deal breaker" was it's based on HR training. I have a very high max HR. When I train, I push it very hard and utilize a HRR (heart rate reserve) method/formula to train. I was told that my HR would be based off of my age (age formula), which has been proven to be a wildly inaccurate formula for HR training (everyone is different and if you train often, your HRR will increase -- your resting HR will decrease the better shape you are in and your max won't go down as fast as you age). I was told I'd have to go to a doctor and do a stress test to prove that my HR max was as high as it was to use for classes. To me, it's absurd to tell people that you're going to use some scientific jargon to maximize calories burned when they don't even seem to understand basic HRR training, the standard for HR training.

So, while possibly fun for some, I personally found it useless. I would have gone to their classes and had over 50 "splat points" every class not working particularly hard (for me). My HR on the screen was listed at "max" nearly the entire class (my real max is around 195 and I was at or near their "max" of around 170 the entire class). Certainly not worth as much money as they want to charge. I also found the weight lifting too basic and more importantly, too cramped.

On the positive side, if you've never really (ever) pushed yourself, and you really try in the classes, you can learn/train to motivate your workouts to a whole new level. Pushing yourself really, really hard is something a lot of people never do. It's the very best way to improve your cardio functions and metabolism.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If it's your jam to have your heartrate up on a screen in front of everyone else, maybe. That would not be motivating for me, it would scare me away from going. I don't like competition, it doesn't motivate me.

I bought my own heart rate monitor and do my own 500-1000 calorie workouts for much cheaper ;)

Except you're not going to actually get 1000 calories from their workouts
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Is Orange Theory like Crossfit ??

certainly sounds that way
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Is Orange Theory like Crossfit ??

certainly sounds that way

I've never done Cross Fit, but my thoughts are it's like Cross Fit "light". Cross Fit is much higher weights, a lot of barbell work (and pullups), more intense and also (I think) more likely to get hurt, though the class I did at OTF I saw some absolutely horrific form and the one instructor for 20 people wasn't able to see everything.

The class is broken down into three segments - treadmill running/walking, mostly lighter dumbbells (they have some heavier ones but you have to fight through people to get the ONE set of 40 lb dumbbells!) and body weight work and then rowing on a WaterRower.

At least at the class I went to it seemed geared toward the treadmill most. 30 minutes on the treadmill doing intervals, around 10 minutes on the rower and around 20 doing dumbell/body weight work (AMRAP type stuff with a video showing form and the instructor correcting if she could see things wrong).

I saw rowers completely loading stress on their backs looking to throw out discs, "deadlifts" that made me cringe and some bentover barbell rows where people were abusing their elbows. I nearly stopped my workout to help this one lady. I was afraid she was really going to hurt herself.

I honestly think that Cross Fit (if done correctly) spends more time with decent form, but the methodology of AMRAP is inherently dangerous when you're talking heavy barbell work. I've also seen Cross Fitters, though, with horrible rowing form as well.

The main difference is that Cross Fit is geared toward the hardcore cross trainer and OTF (in my humble opinion) is geared more toward the runner or casual gym goer that wants to take their training to the next level.

I think either is heavily dependent on the instructor and how well they can see everything and teach and enforce correct form. AMRAP (as many reps as possible) isn't the greatest way to emphasize it though. That's why you're seeing so many strength consultants speak out against this approach.