Wtf I gained a pound

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight or you could be gaining muscle. muscle weighs more that fat.. Stay focused don't give up....

nope...OP is not gaining muscle by waling/running and eating in a deficit. Muscle does not weigh more than fat...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It's just an overall downward trend that matters.

nticvvq8b7d0.png
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Unless you are 3500 calories above maintenance yeaterday, it is water weight. Last Saturday I was up 2.5 lbs from the previous day and My logging is very precise. I knew it was water weight so I just kept on logging. Sure enough, Monday I was back down the 2.5 lbs and by Tuesday, I lost another 1.5 pounds. I would wait it out, drink lots of water, and maybe watch your sodium intake in the mean time.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says above you can fluctuate quite a bit day to day. I only weigh myself every few weeks now cause the ups and downs were stressing me out !
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight or you could be gaining muscle. muscle weighs more that fat.. Stay focused don't give up....

This is one of the biggest fallacies - muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5lbs. is 5lbs., 10lbs. is 10lbs., etc. whether you're weighing fat, muscle, paper clips or ice cream!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

This is one of the biggest fallacies - muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5lbs. is 5lbs., 10lbs. is 10lbs., etc. whether you're weighing fat, muscle, paper clips or ice cream!

One cubic inch of muscle dies weight more than one cubic inch of fat. People who say muscle weighs more than fat mean THIS.

We all know that a pound of X always weighs the same as a pound of Y.

The biggest issue is that gaining muscle weight takes a long time. Virtually no one who is not losing can blame muscle gain. The OP's workout schedule is not going to lead to the kind of muscle gain that explains the situation.

But, at the same volume, muscle does weigh more than fat.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

One cubic inch of muscle dies weight more than one cubic inch of fat. People who say muscle weighs more than fat mean THIS.

We all know that a pound of X always weighs the same as a pound of Y.

The biggest issue is that gaining muscle weight takes a long time. Virtually no one who is not losing can blame muscle gain. The OP's workout schedule is not going to lead to the kind of muscle gain that explains the situation.

But, at the same volume, muscle does weigh more than fat.

Exactly. It's a given that we are discussing equal volumes of said materials we are comparing. When someone says, "Well, lead weighs more than feathers." You never see someone throw up their hands, huff and say, "Well, that is absolutely ridiculous, a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers." Ummm... yeah. But what they keep ignoring for some reason is that's not what we are comparing. Equal volumes people. EQUAL VOLUMES.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I think the bigger fallacy is that someone chocked on a pound of muscle in a week by walking/running and eating at a deficit.
    The whole "muscle weighs more" is, to a point, the product of semantics (and is ultimately an example of a correct premise being diluted by simplicity to the point of inaccuracy).

However, the idea that someone is loading up on muscle at a rapid rate, without strength training, is just flat out wrong.
  • nancy1465
    nancy1465 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had that happen a few times now and was upset. I found it was the sodium and it did come off within the next few days. Be patient. I find I will stay the same a few days and then drop 1 1/2 lbs one day. Our bodies do funny things sometimes. I myself havent really figured it out either. It will come off....stick with it :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    cursing causes weight gain. :o

Damn it. That's my *kitten* problem..